Eco-Friendly Family

Help with yeast...

So we've got yeast....I've got it on both nipples and DS has it on his bottom and in his mouth (thrush). I think we've had it since coming home from the hospital...thinking it started because he was on antibiotics for 4 days before we got to go home. Anyway...it's been a nightmare. Breastfeeding has been SO painful for me, it's really discouraging :( DS has been on nystatin since Friday..both orally and for his bottom, but I feel like his rash is just getting worse.

I've been cleaning my nipples with water/vinegar after every feeding and them applying an anti-fungal cream. At first I did miconazole per rec of my midwife, then Monday I switched to Clotrimazole because I felt like it wasn't getting any better.

I feel like my nipples MIGHT be a TINY bit better but not much.

I called the midwife this morning and am waiting for them to call me back...I think her next step was all purpose nipple cream.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what we can do to beat this? I just want breastfeeding not to hurt and I want my poor guy to not have a rash on his bum :( I think I'll call the pedi tomorrow if his rash doesn't look any better after tonight.

Of course we've only had one sunny day since Friday, but I did take advantage and let his bum and my chest sit in a sunny window...I felt like it helped but then it just all got worse again. I'm washing my towels/sheets with vinegar daily and boiling pump parts and it's just all getting so old so quick! I'm determined to beat this though, so any suggestions would help!

And of course DS is going to be too big for all his NB CDs once we finally beat this...aye 

***UPDATE: Just talked to my midwife..she decided to call in diflucan for me - really didn't want to have to take it if I didn't have to - anyone have to take it before, does it work? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Visit my blog about my family's experiments in eco-living

Re: Help with yeast...

• I'm just a lurker, but I was diagnosed with thrush yesterday, and the lactation consultant recommended gentian violet, ibuprofen for the pain, and grapefruit seed extract capsules as a preventative measure for the future. The recommended dose for those was 250 mg. 3-4 x a day. Just a warning though, the gentian violet is really messy and stains, but is supposed to provide relief sooner than the diflucan is able to work.  Hope that helps!
  • I have chronic yeast issues for reasons nobody has been able to figure out, and I've tried diflucan before. Usually it gives me at least a couple months' break, but one time I did get it back just over a week later.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a terrible case of yeast mastitis for months and the only thing that worked was diflucan every day until it cleared up and the APNO.
    Succes after IF - DXN PCOS 2008 Surpise BFP 7/2009 Baby B was born 2/2010 Baby A is on her way; surprise! Due 2/2012 BabyFruit Ticker
  • is it like a fungal infection? Try spraying Hydrogen Peroxide on the body parts that are affected also Tea tree oil works. I have a HORRIBLE fungal rash in the crotch area and finally I had to go to the dermatologist - might be your best bet, I feel a bit better with the medication he gave me.
  • imageerstwhile+maven:
    I had a terrible case of yeast mastitis for months and the only thing that worked was diflucan every day until it cleared up and the APNO.

This is what my midwife finally prescribed me...seems to be working a little now. My nipples are no longer on fire 24/7...still tender but I can actually relax while nursing now. I still have a week left of it so I'm hoping it continues to help and gets this dumb yeast gone! DS's rash is almost gone as well. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Visit my blog about my family's experiments in eco-living
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"