Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Meltdowns

My twins are 3 1/2 weeks old and will sleep decent during the day and end of the night. However, whenever I have grandparents over to help for a couple hours around supper time when DH is working the babies will have a 3 hour meltdown from 9-midnight. I'm not sure if they get overstimulated with the grandparents from 5-7 or what the deal is. I'm terrified of taking babies anywhere or having visitors because it seems like everytime it just leads to a meltdown...they don't play with them a ton while they are here I make grandparents let them sleep and wake up on their own but it takes longer for grandpa/grandma to do feedings than mom does and they hold them longer and talk to/coo at them I'm not sure if thats enough to set off their routine...it wouldnt be so bad except DH works until 11:45 so I'm alone to deal with the meltdowns and its 2 vs 1 and I nearly am in tears 3 hours into the ordeal...

anyone else have similar situations? advice on how you handled it? I want them to see their grandparents and tolerate trips/visitors but I also need some sanity...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Meltdowns

• Options

Have you tried a night where Grandma & Grandpa just dont come over? That's really the only way you're going to know if it's G&G that are overstimulating them, or if there are other issues, like colic.

Anniversary
    RTT badgeDSCN1111  Isla
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Have you tried a tight swaddle? It helps lo calm down in the evenings. Screaming baby to calm in a minute.
    DS 7/6/09
    DD 9/4/11
    EDD 9/1/15
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagejennypenny1014:

Have you tried a night where Grandma & Grandpa just dont come over? That's really the only way you're going to know if it's G&G that are overstimulating them, or if there are other issues, like colic.

The nights that grandparents aren't over--- its hit or miss...they have an occasional rough night but they also have some good nights. They've NEVER had a good night after the visits...

I don't want to limit grandparents visits, because I appreciate the support and want them to be involved...but I want to stay sane. Am I out of line if I implement a "you can't leave til they are asleep " rule so that G&G don't leave me out numbered?

• Options
    Would it be possible for them to visit earlier in the day? I suppose you can ask for them to stay until they are asleep, buri would not push the issue. Evening is a fussy time for many babies, so having visitors at that time could make it worse. Can you feed the babies and have the grandparents help in other ways? I don't it is possible to hold them too much.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"