North Carolina Babies
Options

Oral fixation

DD#1 still puts things in her mouth all the time -- toys and her hands.  I'd really like to get her to stop doing this all the time.  I haven't actually seen her put other people's toys in her mouth so I don't know if it's just a fixation she has with her own stuff but at 3.5 yr old, I think she should be moving (if not moved) past this.  She seems to put her fingers in her mouth mostly when she's watching a show or something.  I don't think it's a teething issue -- I'm pretty sure she has all her teeth now.  Any suggestions on how to curb this other than constantly telling her to remove whats in her mouth (I sound like a broken record)?  TIA
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Oral fixation

• Options
    Nic has a definite oral fixation and he is a thumb sucker.  I have no advice b/c we are hoping he just drops it eventually.  He needs to suck on his thumb to soothe.  GL
  • Options
    Maddie has just recently started putting things in her mouth again. I am constantly telling her to get her fingers or toys out of her mouth. She knows she's not supposed to do it, but it's almost like a habit that she doesn't even realize she is doing. It drives me crazy- I thought by 3 they were supposed to be past it! I don't have any suggestions other than just constantly reinforcing that we only put food in our mouths...hopefully it will sink in soon.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Jocelyn just recently became super attached to her paci again. She was down to just using it at night and now she has to have it all.the.time. It is driving me nuts. Thankfully she doesn't put anything else in her mouth, but I am so ready to be done with the paci, and she does have all her teeth so I know it is not that. Maybe it is just a phase!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Maybe ask your pedi?  It seems like not a biggie as long as she isn't putting random objects in her mouth. I was a thumb girl for a while pre-Kindergarten, but snapped out of it really quickly when social settings looked down on it.  20 some years later I just nibble my cuticles occasionally... gross, but half the time I don't even realize I'm doing it at first.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"