Baby Names

U-NEEK name rant....

Why must parents, in the vein of making their child's name "extra special", choose to come up w/the most ridiculous spellings for names and then get all offended if others don't pronounce it "properly"? Giving your child a "normal" or commonly spelled name won't make your child any less special I promise! Case in point, just found out someone I know (friend of a friend) named their son SHEENE, but it's supposed to be pronounced SEAN! WTF???!!!! How in the hell is anyone suppose to see the name SHEENE and naturaly assume that it's pronounced SEAN or is this just me? And this woman has already gone on a FB rant about how she's sick and tired of "dumb" people who keep mispronouncing her son's name and that's she doens't want to keep having to defend her name spelling choices. REALLY? Didn't she see this coming? My friend tries to avoid saying this child's name just to not hear her friend b!tch about the whole thing. I feel so bad for this kid already..... 
Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: U-NEEK name rant....

• I agree with you 100%. It annoys me to when I see these crazy names and crazy spellings of names.
  • I would assume that Sheene is pronounced the same as Charlie Sheen's last name... Nowhere near Sean. Ugh, people really need to do themselves a favor and learn proper phonetics of the English language.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, those "dumb" people who speak English...
  • imagemrsb_IN:
    I would assume that Sheene is pronounced the same as Charlie Sheen's last name... Nowhere near Sean. Ugh, people really need to do themselves a favor and learn proper phonetics of the English language.

THIS. 

• I am a high school substitute teacher and I completely understand! I get a new list of students all the time, and they get very offended if I mispronounce their names during roll call. Now I understand it is not their fault that they were given an ignorant name, but iI don't understand what some of their parents were thinking!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • you're preaching to the choir... 
  • imageSunshine is mine:
    I am a high school substitute teacher and I completely understand! I get a new list of students all the time, and they get very offended if I mispronounce their names during roll call. Now I understand it is not their fault that they were given an ignorant name, but iI don't understand what some of their parents were thinking!

Totally understand this.  I looked at a subbing roster one time and saw Symon.  I pronounced it Simon.  Imagine my surprise when a girl said to me (in a snotty tone) it was Simone.

I also have a friend who used to sub and she had a kid who spelled Simon, Seamon.  He got snotty with her too.  Her last name is Simon so she was all, no, this is how you properly spell Simon.

imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

• imagemrsb_IN:
    I would assume that Sheene is pronounced the same as Charlie Sheen's last name... Nowhere near Sean. Ugh, people really need to do themselves a favor and learn proper phonetics of the English language.

This is what I would figure too. I don't know why people take normal names and mess them up

• imagemrsb_IN:

There are already so many different spellings of Shawn (it's DH name)..

Shawn, Sean, and Shaun..

Sean always reminds me of bean with an S like Seen

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"