Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Blackberry brandy for teething?

Hi,

My ds is 3 mo and I can feel his teeth coming  in, in addition to other signs. The tethers help a little but my husband and Inlaws swear blackberry brandy (I guess they used a dab to rub on my husband and his brOther. I'm a little nervous becaus it's alcohol, but if it's a tiny amount and won't hurt him I'd be open to it. Anyone have experience or opinions? I can't find much on the Internet about it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Blackberry brandy for teething?

• I've heard that too..it's a pretty commonly shared solution with the older people in my family.

I hear it works good and I'm a pretty lax parent, but I'm not that brave. I just feel like there's no need to give a baby alcohol when Tylenol is just as effective. I doubt it will do any harm however in that small of a dosage (Some common baby meds have more alcohol in them) but it's just the thought I'm not comfortable with.

My LO is 3 mos. and teething too. I've found letting her chew a frozen washcloth, a dose of tylenol and letting her nap in her carseat so she doesn't swallow so much drool to be the most effective.

• Is this MUD? I would not give my baby liquor. Period. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemcginnie86:
    Is this MUD? I would not give my baby liquor. Period. 

No I don't believe this MUD. It's a pretty common (albeit borderline dangerous) Old Wive's Tale I've heard quite a few times actually.

• imagedairygirl19:

imagemcginnie86:
    Is this MUD? I would not give my baby liquor. Period. 

No I don't believe this MUD. It's a pretty common (albeit borderline dangerous) Old Wive's Tale I've heard quite a few times actually.

Yeah, I've heard of it too. But I also agree with Ginnie. I would never give alcohol.    

• I haven't done it but I have been tempted. All the alcohol does is numb the gums a little. It can take the edge away that Tylenol can't. There are fewer chemicals in alcohol than in Orajel or the like. My parents, ILs and friends have all told me that they used it as a last resort. I may or may not but if I do I'm not going to worry too much about it because it really isn't enough alcohol to do anything to your child.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • My il's just told me this wknd to do this, that it numbs their gums. Its not like you're pouring liquor down their throat. Follow your parental instincts, I don't think its bad. Just spmething they used to do before orajel, and it probably works better.

Typing with one hand here 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"