Minnesota Babies

Carseat Covers

Hello! 

We recently moved to Minnesota from Texas.  Our babies are due in January and was wondering what you use/have used to keep winter babies warm in carseats?  I know snowsuits are a safety hazard and was looking at the JJ Cole Bundle Me's, but have also heard of safety issues with those, so I am now not certain what to use.  TIA

R & R- Twin Girls January 2012

Re: Carseat Covers

• I had this when DD was little:  https://www.babypolargear.com/infant_car_seat_covers.html

Picture:  image

It worked really slick.  You can zip it up all the way over their head from the walk from the car to the door...doesn't have the circle opening like most of them have.  It just "bungees" over the car seat like a shower cap.  I loved it! 

• JJ Cole makes a plain car seat cover that doesn't go in the seat.  This is what we will be getting. 

JJ Cole Car Seat Cover

https://www.amazon.com/JJ-Cole-Seat-Cover-Khaki/dp/B003ZUXQXU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2EUOUI4IGTJGI&colid=2QU2HW092RJ1Q

• Loading the player...
  • We used the covers like in pp. We dressed DD in normal clothes and she was always toasty. One day I put her in a fleece outfit. When we got home her back was sweaty she was so warm.

If it was really cold (below zero) or windy, I would put a blanket over the top to keep the flap closed.
    imageimage
  • We used the Bundle Me with our first and will be using it this winter as well.  It worked great!  And they can just wear regular clothes and a hat underneath which is awesome, we never had to have the big coat suits.

• Another one who used the Bundle Me type thing.  Worked well. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• the bundle me is dangerous. And I would advise anyone who uses one to reconsider. it's no different than putting a bulky snowsuit on a big kid. 

https://community.babycenter.com/post/a5724415/my_bundle_me_experiment_with_photos

The safe options are the two posted above, or any other style that goes on like a shower cap. We have a babba co cover, and walmart always carries the kozy cover. Kiddopotamus and Eddie Bauer make safe ones too.  

The bonus, aside from being safe to use, is that the safe ones are almost always cheaper than the bundle me.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We bought a cover from Target. The brand was Eddie Bauer and we love it! It's just elastic that slips over the outside/top. It has a velcro hole over our son's face so we can see him or keep him covered.

The inside is fleece and the outside is a weather-resistant material incase of snow or rain. It repels water.

So far we've had DS in a onesie and socks and he's stayed warm. If it gets really cold or if it's really windy we will put a folded receiving blanket over his legs.

I don't recommend anthing that goes inside the car seat. At our inspection by the city police department the strongly urged us to not use anything inside the car seat that didn't come with the car seat due to safety issues.

Good luck!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"