June 2011 Moms

Nipple Shield?

Is anyone still using theirs? I really want to kick it but can't seem to! Any advice from those of you who have kicked it?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Nipple Shield?

• we kicked the shield at 10 weeks old with the help of a lc.  I know it was a long hard journey but we are still going strong.  do you have a lc you can touch base with?

• We quit using ours about 2 weeks ago.  I just tried to offer him the nipple with no shield.  The lc suggested to cut the end off a shield, then slowly cut more and more off as LO gets used to it.  Good luck!
    Pinterest
    My Blog- Life With a Toddler
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#2 12/2/12 EDD 8/26/13; No heartbeat at 6w6d on 1/4/13; D&C 1/5/13
    My Ovulation Chart
    PgAL/PAL Always Welcome
  • Loading the player...
  • Macy was about 4 1/2 weeks early, and we were able to ditch the nipple shield right around her due date.  All I can really tell you is to try to latch your lo without the shield every time you nurse.  If lo gets mad, just put it back on and try again next time.  It will take some time, but eventually they'll get it.  GL!
  • I dropped it about two months ago with one of my girls by doing one feeding time at a time.  During the day time feedings it was the easiest so she learned to latch on on her own.  Then,  slowly I dropped the other feedings when she was more tired.  She got the hang of it, but I don't exclusively breast feed, I pump and bottle feed as well as formula feed at night. 

I hope that helps! 

• We got rid of the shield about 2 weeks ago. I had it because I destroyed my nipples when we started BFing and I thought it was normal. We just stopped using the shield and he didn't mind. Try it. If he won't eat, find a LC and get help. You can do it!
    DSC_0213 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Thank you for asking this.  We are still using the sheild, mostly because I have been too lazy to work on it since going back to work.  We are on the go all the time and it is easier to nurse out of the house if I just use the sheild rather than fight her and have to put it in in the middle of a feeding. 

I had her almost weaned at 6 weeks by starting without it every feeding, then giving her the sheild when she got frustrated.  I haven't even tried in weeks now, your post has motivated me to start trying again though...it would be so nice not to need it!

• I only used a nipple shield for about 2 weeks and it was while I was working with a lactation consultant because I had cracked and bleeding nipples by the second only my second day of breastfeeding!

What she had me to do wean off was to initiate breastfeeding while wearing the nipple shield and then take it off about halfway through the time that DD was eating. Then I started doing every other feed without the nipple shield at all.

BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • imageaztoid2006:
    We quit using ours about 2 weeks ago.  I just tried to offer him the nipple with no shield.  The lc suggested to cut the end off a shield, then slowly cut more and more off as LO gets used to it.  Good luck!

This isn't recommended for a silicone shield. The edges can be quite sharp and hurt your nipple and/or the baby's mouth. Another option is to start nursing with it on, then take it off partway through.  

In other news... we are still using ours.  DS will latch just fine without it, but only gets half as much milk.  We've been going to a breastfeeding workshop with the pre- and post-feeding weighing and found that he gets so much more with than without.  I have super short nipples and larger breasts, so his mouth is just too small to get a good grip on enough out.

TTC #1 5/97 - PCOS dx 6/10 - Metformin 8/10 - Moved from Endo to RE 9/10 - 50mg Clomid 9/10 - 100mg Clomid 10/18 - BFP - Beta #1 = 91 - Beta #2 = 958 EDD 6/28/11 Tater Tot arrived 6/21/11 on his Great Grandmother's 90th Birthday
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"