Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Cries for Mom!!!

My LO is going on 3 weeks old and today he cried non stop as if something was wrong so I got worried and called the on call Dr. and she had me check for several things including constipation. Something is definitely bothering him. Im thinking he has a lot of gas and he hasn't had a bowel movement in 24 hours.

What I am noticing is that when I have him my arms during one of his crying fits, nothing I do for him seemed to work to get him to quiet down and soon as his Mom comes in the room and grabs him out of my arms, he quiets down. Im sure it has to do with the Mother/Son bond and all but there will be times when it will be just him and me and mom might be out running errands or could be home just not in the same room. 

As a new dad this can be frustrating because I feel like there is nothing I can do to make him feel better but as soon as his mom grabs him he quiets right down. I tried everything from singing to him or giving him a tour of the house; put him in his bassinet and turn on the mobile and none of that really works but the second his mom comes back into the room, he quiets right down.  

Im sure a lot of Dads experience this, how do you handle this? I want my LO to feel good and happy and not cranky and I want to be able to calm him down just like his mom can but for some reason whatever I do isn't working LOL!  

Re: Cries for Mom!!!

• Options

My husband says this happens to him b/c he doesn't have boobs. lol

Where I can see that being a little true but most of the time us mom's can't get them to stop crying either. I remember the 3 wk stage, my husband was on night shift and I would try to put Owyn down at least 5-6 times. As soon as my husband got home it was around the 5-6 time and he would say let me try and off to sleep he would go. Half the time I thought he was waiting up for Daddy but then I realised it just took him that long to settle cause by the 5-6 time I wasn't as patient as the first time. My husband has a routine when he gets the baby and he's fussy. First he changes the diaper and washes his face with a warm cloth. Then he will either to try to play with him on the play mat/gym or he'll play a song on the guitar. If Owyn is still crazy he'll turn on some music and dance with him. If he settles down  he snuggles him on the couch and takes big deep breaths untill he is asleep..if not usually it's my turn to bf Wink Good luck

Owyn Russell - August 10, 2011

Lily Ann - March 22, 2016
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

My husband says this happens to him b/c he doesn't have boobs. lol

Where I can see that being a little true but most of the time us mom's can't get them to stop crying either. I remember the 3 wk stage, my husband was on night shift and I would try to put Owyn down at least 5-6 times. As soon as my husband got home it was around the 5-6 time and he would say let me try and off to sleep he would go. Half the time I thought he was waiting up for Daddy but then I realised it just took him that long to settle cause by the 5-6 time I wasn't as patient as the first time. My husband has a routine when he gets the baby and he's fussy. First he changes the diaper and washes his face with a warm cloth. Then he will either to try to play with him on the play mat/gym or he'll play a song on the guitar. If Owyn is still crazy he'll turn on some music and dance with him. If he settles down  he snuggles him on the couch and takes big deep breaths untill he is asleep..if not usually it's my turn to bf Wink Good luck

Owyn Russell - August 10, 2011

Lily Ann - March 22, 2016
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Its normal. He was inside Mom for 9months, and has only been out of her for 3weeks. He should get more used to you (and maybe prefer you over mom sometimes) the more time you spend with him and show him that you are there for him. The most important person in a child's life is the same sex parent, so he will come around to  you.

In the meantime, tend to his needs, keep holding him, singing, dance, talk about whatever (weeather, tv shows, fantasy football...), and give him lots of cuddles.

It might be worth trying a Moby wrap, my DH refuses to use it, but even when LO is screaming for me, she calms and goes right to sleep in her wrap (unless hungry or wet/soiled).

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This doesn't seem to happen with our newborn son, but it did happen with our daughter. When it would happen, my husband would do one of two things that he knew our daughter liked. (1) a bath (2) step outside. They say babies find peace when outside. Not sure if thats true for all babies, but it's certainly true for ours! Our daughter would be screaming, and you if just step outside for a few minutes, day or night, she would instantly calm down. Those two things may not work for your son; it may be something else completely. Find what his favorites are and keep them in your back pocket when you need it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My H went through this too. His thought is the combo of my voice for 9 months and my boobs makes for an unfair advantage.

The trick he uses is to sit in his recliner with his shirt off and put DD belly to belly on his chest. The warmth and heartbeat calms her  down pretty well.

• Options

This happens with my husband all the time. It really frustrates him. I asked our pediatrician what we can do (because I want LO to feel comfortable with my husband and I feel that he needs to be able to soothe her, too). Our pediatrician just said "there's a reason mom's are squishy and soft." Essentially she said for the first many months, mom's job is to comfort and soothe. Dad's will have their time in the spotlight once LO is able to play more.

I know it's not really much advice/help, but basically calming baby IS mom's job at this age. It won't last forever. :)

(That said, I might start wearing my husband's tshirts during the day and he'll wear it at night when holding our daughter... I'm wondering if my smell alone would help her fussiness?)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagekatiewhompus:

My H went through this too. His thought is the combo of my voice for 9 months and my boobs makes for an unfair advantage.

The trick he uses is to sit in his recliner with his shirt off and put DD belly to belly on his chest. The warmth and heartbeat calms her  down pretty well.

This is what I was going to say, exactly. My son's usually calmed pretty easy, but laying on his daddy's chest with no shirt is as good as anything for calming him right down.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"