Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Any tips to keep LO from screaming during a 3hr car ride?

DD will fall asleep in the car if its her nap time, but otherwise she's often screaming the whole time.  I'll stop and feed her, and put her back in after burping her, and she still screams.  I'm dreading this trip as a result.  Any tips?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Any tips to keep LO from screaming during a 3hr car ride?

• Options
    Have you tried white noise with her?  If you have a smart phone, you can download a free app and just put your phone in the back next to her so that you can still listen to music or whatever.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Turning the radio on a static station has worked for us before to get LO to sleep. However, it doesn't qlways work and unfortunately PP is correct that sometimes we just have to let him cry and he falls asleep after 10-15 minutes. We have tried stopping and changing him, feeding him, or just walking around outside the car and he is always fine until he gets back in the carseat. So after all of that, the only choice is to let him cry and fall asleep.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagekatiegal:
    Have you tried white noise with her?  If you have a smart phone, you can download a free app and just put your phone in the back next to her so that you can still listen to music or whatever.

This. Or the travel Sleep Sheep or Gentle Giraffe if you don't want your phone next to her. 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

When DD1 was 3.5 months we moved across the country, and I was dreading the drive for this very reason. Some things that helped: I sat in back with her and read to her and talked to her when she was awake. When she started getting fussy and I couldn't calm her, we would stop if we could, but if not we turned on radio static. As she calmed down and started falling asleep we would turn the volume lower and lower, until eventually she was asleep and we were able to turn it off and turn on music softly. 

Also, I dressed her in layers I could add/remove without getting her out of the car seat. A onesie, baby legs, a cardigan put on backwards once she was buckled in, and socks, plus a light blanket and a heavier one. that way I could make sure she wasn't fussing because she was hot or cold.

Good luck!

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Can someone sit next to her & play/read/talk to her?  Sometimes that helps my LO...and other times it just makes her madder b/c I won't pick her up.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The longest i've driven w/her crying is a 1/2 hr, i will try the white noise to see if it will help, I can't sit back there since my son is back there too and we have captains chairs.  The 3rd row is out to fit all our stuff.  Thanks for the tips!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"