Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Bf too strong of flow?

we met with our LC and she said my flow may be too fast for DD and that may be why she has short feedings and tries to pinch my nipples close to slow the flow, and pulls off coughing.  she recommended laying back while i nurse but DD has a harder time staying latched that way. does anyone know of any other tips for feeding? Dd is only 8 days old so i don't want to pump until my milk is better established.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bf too strong of flow?

• Options
    The only way i can prevent my Lil Man from chokin all the time is to pump a little first. I tried everything the LCs suggested and that is the only thing that worked for me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I went through the same thing. We nursed (and still do) laying on our sides. A lot of the milk will run out of the side of her mouth instead of choking her. This didn't eliminate the problem but helped slightly. It gets easier. DD and I have adjusted well now!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Overactive letdown often (but not always) goes along with overproduction. Pumping won't discourage supply, but it will encourage overproduction if you are already having that problem so you're right to not go with that right now.

Try hand expressing (something I do into the bathroom sink, much to the amusement of DH) before you feed DD. I picked up some Avent breast shells with my last Amazon order and they're great. They let milk out, let everything breath a little, and let off some of the pressure so that the letdown isn't so bad on LO.

• Options
    As soon as your milk lets down, take LO off the breast and let the milk spray out into a burp cloth... latch LO back on once that initial burst of milk has gone.  Hopefully that will help with the choking!  I have a very strong let-down too, and that has really helped.  DS is now used to my milk production and I don't need to take that extra step anymore.  
  • Options
    I pulled her off and pushed on the nipple with a burp cloth and it stopped. Now she is used to it.
    DS 7/6/09
    DD 9/4/11
    EDD 9/1/15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"