Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Doubts on BF

I've been BF for almost two weeks now...LO seems to be hungry every 45 min to an hour. But keeps passing out! I try to keep him awake but he gets it in his mouth for 10 min and then he's done. He'll down formula like it's nothing though. So I'm guessing I'm just not producing enough? I have to go back to work in four weeks and I'm nervous that I won't have a nice stash for my DH. I'd like to BF as much as I can, but I feel that I'll eventually just go with the formula. Every time I pump, I don't even get close to 1 oz. Is it too soon to be concerned about my production?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Doubts on BF

• Options
    Don't give up yet!  As long as pedi isn't concerned about his weight than he's getting enough.  For some it takes longer to get their milk in.  One of the reasons your LO is nusing so much could be to get that milk in.  Continue nursing, pump after every meal, and try those home remedies to increase production.  If in a month you still can't produce enough than there isn't any shame switching to formula.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Well if you've been supplementing with formula you're going to have a hard time keeping up with demand. Supplementing decreases your demand which then decreases your supply.

The best way to up your supply will be to go ahead nurse every time he acts hungry - even it's only been 45 minutes. That frequent nursing is totally normal for a 2-week old.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Let me also add that assuming he's 2 weeks old he's approaching his first growth spurt, which could be another reason for the constant nursing.  Also look into a la leche group or if the hospital has a bf-ing group where you can go and nurse him and do a weigh-in to see if he's getting anything.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

What flow nipple are you using on the bottle you FF? LO falls asleep at the bottle too since the flow is slow. 

The first few weeks are the hardest for bfing. She was always falling asleep. I would have to rub her back, head, hands, and feet throughout the feeding.  It does get better though.

If you are concerned about production, the best thing you can do to increase it is to feed LO often.  That will trigger your body to make more milk. You can tell if he is eating enough by checking the wet diapers. You should have at least 5-6+ wet diapers and 3-4+ poopy diapers. Limit formula because that will decrease your supply.

I pump sometimes in the morning 30-60 minutes after she eats and get the best output then. Other times I get less than an ounce. I don't pump enough right now to give advice on pumping. I heard it is helpful to continue to pump 5-10 minutes after the milk stops.

DS 7/6/09
    DD 9/4/11
    EDD 9/1/15
  • Options
    DD was like that at that age too. I always wondered if the combo of full belly plus snuggles just knocked her out while bottles were more "get down to business". She still falls asleep a lot after eating but is definitely getting enough.
  • Options
    if you are giving him formula your supply will not adjust to his demand. LO STILL only eats for ten minutes then passes out or takes a tiny nap on the boppy. But he is 18 pounds at 10 weeks so I know he is getting plenty! He is just an efficient eater and your might be also.  Stick with it and try to up your production by exclusively feeding LO from the breast.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Let me tell you, in a month everything can change! It (breastfeeding) has become so second nature to the both of us. Whatever your decision, make sure you feel at peace and happy! But I would say don't give up just yet! It is pretty hard at the beginning.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    Give yourself some time. If your LO is fallin asleep but steel seems to suck try massaging your breast at the same time sometimes this helps my LO to keep nursing. I would also pump after i nursed and when ever i gave Lil Man a bottle. It took us a month. Just remember switching to formula isnt bad if it works better for you & your LO. Like you I'm goin back to work so i want to spend the time i have at home with him bonding not frusrtated. Good luck in your decision
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"