Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Getting back on BC

I have 3 weeks left until my 6 week check-up with the Dr. I am trying to decide which birth control to use. I was on the depo-shot for 10 years before we decided to get pregnant. It worked great except for the weight gain. Dr. would like me to to try a pill this time. I have been researching and am leaning towards Seasonique because your only supposed to get 4 periods a year. The whole reason I was on Depo to begin with is because it stopped my periods all together. Anyone been on Seasonique or have any other advice or opinions on any BC?

Re: Getting back on BC

• Options

I didn't use seasonique, but my ob told me if I wanted to I could just take the regular pills straight through, skipping the 'sugar pills', and therefore skipping periods. The only difference with the Seasonique vs regular BC pills as she explained it to me, is that the Seasonique is just 3 months worth of regular pills with the inactive pills taken out and packaged together. (And priced much higher!). So you might ask about just getting regular BC pills and skipping the in actives for up to 3 months at a time.

The things you need to look into are: will your insurance pay for it if you try to refill before the one month mark (if your insurance pays for it at all). Our old health insurance wouldn't refill my prescription early because they'd only pay for the BC pills once a month. Sometimes the pharmacy would make a call and tell them I was out of town for vacation or something and they'd make an exception, but I couldn't do that every time. The second thing is that you tend to have more spotting/breakthrough bleeding with the seasonique than with a normal monthly pill. And the third thing is that if you're planning to have more kids, I think it takes longer for your body to regulate and start ovulating normally off of the pill if you take the seasonique vs the regular pill.

Food for thought :) I plan to go back on the monthly pill after my 6 wk follow up. I never had any bad side effects from taking the pill that others sometimes deal with. HTH! :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Double post, sorry!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'll be starting on the mini-pill after my appt next week. That pill is conducive to breast-feeding, if that's a consideration for you.
  • Options
    imageLadyVi33:

I didn't use seasonique, but my ob told me if I wanted to I could just take the regular pills straight through, skipping the 'sugar pills', and therefore skipping periods. The only difference with the Seasonique vs regular BC pills as she explained it to me, is that the Seasonique is just 3 months worth of regular pills with the inactive pills taken out and packaged together. (And priced much higher!). So you might ask about just getting regular BC pills and skipping the in actives for up to 3 months at a time.

This is what I did before I got pregnant. I just took my regular BC pill, skipped the placebo week, and had my period every few months. We couldn't find a pill that would shorten my periods or make them less painful, so the best we could come up with was me only having them every few months. It worked well for me. My doctor said I could go up to 6 months without a period, if I wanted, but I don't think I ever did.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagechillyupnorth:
    I'll be starting on the mini-pill after my appt next week. That pill is conducive to breast-feeding, if that's a consideration for you.

I started using the min-pill 2 months after DD was born.  My milk dried up within 3 weeks.  Needless to say, I didn't use the pill until I was finished BF DS#1 and I don't intend to start using it until I've finished BF my newest LO.  All of our bodies are different.  I hope it works for you.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"