Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

s/o STTN and naps

Reading the STTN post, it seems like a lot of babies that sleep long stretches at night don't nap much during the day. Is that true for you? I feel fortunate that LO (almost 8 weeks) sleeps well at night -- I guess technically he STTN because he usually gives us a 6-8 hour stretch before his first feeding overnight. Sometimes he'll get up for a second feeding and go back down for a few hours. 

BUT, his naps are horrible. It is a tough, tough battle to get him to nap for longer than 45 minutes at a time. Today I got him to nap for 1.5 hours, but that was only because I was walking him in the carrier. I'm wondering if that is the price to pay for long stretches at night -- should I keep trying for longer naps or just accept that he's only going to catnap during the day?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: s/o STTN and naps

• Options
    I wish mine STTN or at least 5 to 7 hours at night.  He's become a horrible napper. I've done it all, swaddled for naps, white noise, pacifier, rocked, tried laying him down drowsy but awake, rocked into a deep sleep and he still only naps on average 15 to 30min, 1 hour if I'm lucky.  At night its not much better, we start his bath at 7:30 or 8:00, then bottle, swaddle & rock to sleep. He will sleep 3-4 hours then up for his feeding and back down in about an hour.  When he wakes for his next bottle, its gets interesting, he wakes up in 3 hours starved but will pass out cold after 1 ounce.  I swear it because he's so tired he can't eat once the initial hunger is satisfied.  Nothing I do can get him awake to eat anymore.  Then the night time fun begins, he's up in an hour to eat again, and its repeat of the same until 7 or 8 am.  This FTM is at a loss!

Pregnancy%20ticker

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• Options
    My lo sleeps 8-10 hours a nap and rarely naps during the day. She naps really well on her belly and will give me a good two hours. But it's really only that one nap. I lay her on the floor on a blanket in a living room so I can watch her. If I rock her to sleep and put her in her crib for a nap she will only stay down about a half hr.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My LO is a terrible napper as well, I thought we were onto something last week, had 2 days with two 1.5 - 2 hour naps, but it has fallen apart since, so who knows... tomorrow is another day! I actually read that 'sleep begets sleep', so I don't think its an either / or situation necessarily. My LO usually does 6 hrs, then 3 and 2/3 at night, with terrible naps, but the one day last week when the naps went PERFECTLY (1.5 hours, 2 hours, 45 mins, 45 mins) he slept 8 hours straight that night! Who knows though, could have been a sleepy day or something. My issue is the crankiness that comes with lack of napping.... if he was a happy camper I'd be one too!! So my question is, is he a happy catnapper, or a fussy one?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Mine still takes 2-3 naps per day 2-3hrs at a time. For a while I was putting her down at 8pm after her bath, she would wake up at 4am for a bottle and go back down until 9/10am. Recently I started waking her at 11pm and giving her another bottle at that time, this way she sleeps through until 10am. 

It's definitely harder on days she DOESN'T nap during the day. I always find, by bedtime she is much more fussy and cranky when she hasn't had a few naps, and she's much harder to put down on those days.  

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Everyone I've talked to including the pedi says short frequent naps are completely normal at this age.  They don't start extending their naps until the start cutting them out and staying up for longer periods of time, once they start cutting out their naps the remaining naps become longer.  If you think about it, it makes complete sense that babies take short naps when they take so many.  It's highly unlikely that anyone on this board truly has bad nappers at this age, it's just that when most people think of naps we think of longer naps that older babies take.

As another poster said sleep begets sleep.  If my LO takes lots of short naps during the day he sleeps great at night, if he doesn't then he sleeps like crap with lots of waking up.  

My DS is on a pretty typical 3 mos old cycle of 90 min awake, 30-60 min nap.  Wash, rinse, repeat until bed time. 

TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
  • Options
    imageMrs Castillo:

Mine still takes 2-3 naps per day 2-3hrs at a time. For a while I was putting her down at 8pm after her bath, she would wake up at 4am for a bottle and go back down until 9/10am. 

Pretty much this.  Maybe 2 long-ish daytime naps and 1 cat nap. We put her down after bath and feeding between 9 and 10pm and she will sleep until anywhere from 3-5 am.  My "problem" is that she always, always, always poops during this feeding so the diaper change afterwards wakes her right up.  Luckily, she wakes up happy...talking and smiling at the ceiling fan! :-)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Mo/di baby girls lost at 20w3d due to complications from IUGR 9/2013
    Laproscopic surgery for ruptured ectopic at 7w  2/2014
  • Options

We STTN at 3 months - usually 8:30 pm to 5 or 6 am.  I can only get him to take "good" naps (15 min+) by using the swing, so he naps about 3 times a day for about a 60-90 minutes.  He sleeps all night in his crib with no problems, but I can't get him to do more than cat nap during the day.

If we are away or he is at the baby sitters, he doesn't use the swing and will only take several 15-30 minute naps throughout the day.  On those days, he is generally crankier and sleeps less at night.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"