Babies: 3 - 6 Months

FFers--help!

So we found out today we have to switch from BFing to Elecare due to severe food allergies. I'm clueless about formula. DS (4 months) took his first bottle of formula today and ate 5oz, which I thought was a good start, but...

1. About how many oz should he be getting at a time?

2.How far apart should I try to spread his feedings? 4 hours? (I am used to feeding him every 2-3 hours on demand)

3. Can I just use water from the Brita, or should I use nursery/bottled water?

TIA!

Re: FFers--help!

• LO is almost 5 months and at 4 months, she was eating 6 ounces every 3-4 hours.  She in on Similac Sensitive and I have heard they don't get as full on that. Sometimes she is eating almost 7 ounces now.

Many people use tap, we use nursery water or fill jugs up at my parents because they have super good water.  We will eventually use tap, we drink it ;)

Good luck!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My DS is only 3 months, so I can't help you with the amount your LO should be eating. But we used filtered water from the tap. It's perfectly fine.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1:10/31/10 DS born 6/22/11BFP #3:4/24/12 DD born 12/31/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DS is drinking 6 oz. every three hours.  We use nursery water because ours is ridiculously funky, but using your Brita filter should be good.  I wouldn't worry about it too much.  I would say to follow your little one's cues.  Try to make it 3 hours, but if he gets grumpy and it's not a tiredness issue, give him a bottle earlier. 

Hope all goes well!

DSC_0424 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC since January 2012
  • My LO takes 4 oz every 2 hours-ish.  We just use purified water in jugs, but we are on well water.  It all depends on the baby!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We just switched from EP to FF, and DS eats a bit more formula than he did breast milk.  He eats about 30oz of formula a day, while he used to only eat about 24oz of breast milk.  He's on Similac Alimentum for a milk/soy protein intolerance.  

I'd say, if LO is hungry, feed him.  When he's full, he'll stop.  Figure it out over a few days.

My pediatrician told us that any water we drink is fine for DS.  We drink straight out of the tap, so that's what we're using for him.  It's really easy because we can get the water warm out of the tap, so we never have to heat bottles anymore!  Seems like a luxury when DS is screaming because he's hungry!! 

Finally updating my signature and avatar, August 29, 2011 (better late than never!) Jake! (born July 3, 2011 - 6 days past due) Image and video hosting by TinyPic December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Holiday Movie Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We had to swtich at 5 months, and I know the frustration of learning feeding all over again!  DD takes 4-5 oz every 3ish hours (sometimes 2.5hours, sometimes 4 if she had a long nap).  I still mostly go by hunger cues and use the clock only as a warning it might be coming.

We use bottled distilled water. With babies this young you want to restrict the amount of fluoride they receive to deminish the chance of fluorosis.

"use fluoride free or low fluoride water (purified, demineralized, deionized or distilled, as well as reverse-osmosis filtered water)" https://www.safbaby.com/does-your-infants-formula-contain-fluoride-yes-they-all-do

Caitlin 4.17.11     Madeline 10.20.13

• DS is on Elecare for the same reasons and will be 4 months on Monday.  He is doing 6 ounces on demand which can be anywhere 3-4 hours during the day.  My ped recommended on demand.  When DS starts finishing bottles completely, I start uping the amount I make for him.
    You can totally use the Brita water.  I would leave it on the counter so it is room temp so you never have to heat a bottle.  We use (double) filtered tap water. 

I hated to quit bfing, but now that DS is so happy and I am used to the process I am very happy.  It gets pretty easy.  GL!
    Anna Kate 10.17.2009 Alexander 6.10.2011 Baby Girl 6.2014
  • We use tap water. DS gets 5-6oz every 2.5 hours. I try to fill him up during the day so he will sleep at night. He gets one 4oz bottle in the middle of the night. I think the normal amount is around 32-36oz a day. GL!

• imageucfsteph12262003:
    My LO takes 4 oz every 2 hours-ish.  We just use purified water in jugs, but we are on well water.  It all depends on the baby!

This exactly except his first bottle in the morning is around 6 oz's.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Sorry to take over your post but I noticed several people commenting on the hypoallergenic fomulas and I have some questions about Elecare for those whose LO's are on it.  Our pedi wants us to try it as I have been BF'ing and on a very restricted diet but that does not seem to be helping.  Currently we are on a trial of Alimentum, but baby won't take the powder so we tried RTF with greater success.  I don't know why she wants us to switch to Elecare other than to try a different powder.  Alimentum RTF is so expensive but researching the Elecare it seems downright outrageous. Where do you buy your Elecare? Can you find cheap prices anywhere? Does it smell better than the alimentum?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • When we did powder we used water from our Brita pitcher and filled up a bottle and kept it on the counter so it was room temperature, that way we didn't have to heat up her bottles.  Some mix a big pitcher once per day and use that.  

I would start by making him a 6 oz bottle, see how much he eats then continue to feed on demand.  After a few days you'll get into a rhythm. 

• imageleahabe1:

imageucfsteph12262003:
    My LO takes 4 oz every 2 hours-ish.  We just use purified water in jugs, but we are on well water.  It all depends on the baby!

This exactly except his first bottle in the morning is around 6 oz's.  

Same for us on the amounts, except I just upped the amt to 5oz yesterday per bottle bc he would finish his bottles dry.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"