Parenting
Options

What books after BOB Books?

We will be starting set 2 tomorrow, he read set 1 two times.  I will have him read set 2 two times, then re-read set 1 and then set 2 again, and then we will read the BOB Kindergarten Sight Words. 

What is a really good beginner book after that?  Right now he is still sounding out almost all the words in the set 1 so it is pretty hard to imagine him being able to read anything harder than works like fox but I know it will happen, lol.

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08

Re: What books after BOB Books?

• Options

It was difficult to find books after that.  Everything seemed too difficult or exactly the same.  If you want the same level, look up the free ones from starfall.com or education.com.  Scholastic also offers My First Reader books, but I could only find them at the library.  Most libraries will have those type of monosyllabic, phonetic books in one section.  I would not buy them as it takes about 10-20 minutes to read them.  We had a lot of Dr. Seuss but by that time, we'd read them so many times, I could tell she was just reciting them.

After that, we used Step into Reading and I Can Read books, but even Level 1 used a lot of non-phonetic words that seemed too complex for sight words.  I usually looked those up on amazon and found them at the library, as again, they are too short to be something you'd want to keep.

• Options
    Ditto Aggie--it's hard at that point because even Level 1 readers are too hard, but BOB are too easy! Try googling "printable emergent readers" or check out the links under "sight words" in my Parents Teach blog (see sig). Those books use simple, repetitive sentences that reinforce sight words. They also help them practice using picture clues and sounding out short words. HTH!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageCubbyMama:
    Ditto Aggie--it's hard at that point because even Level 1 readers are too hard, but BOB are too easy! Try googling "printable emergent readers" or check out the links under "sight words" in my Parents Teach blog (see sig). Those books use simple, repetitive sentences that reinforce sight words. They also help them practice using picture clues and sounding out short words. HTH!

Helps a lot...as always!

Thanks ladies.

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options
    Both of my kids liked the Bisquit books when they were learning to read. They also liked some of the Dr. Seuss books.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I realize I'm blowing my own horn here, but do you know Bob Books go through Set 5? Set 3 is still all phonics, but longer words, and Sets 4 and 5 have some more complex spellings, but interspersed with lots of decodable words so kids aren't overwhelmed.  

Other great books are Frog and Toad, Little Bear, Danny and the Dinosaur, some Clifford books, and my daughter's personal favorite, Aggie and Ben by Lori Ries.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"