Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

I'm sorry, but I hate baby girl clothes

There, I said it.  I really don't like most clothes for baby girls.   I'm sure many people love the cutsey, busy and colorful clothes...but I just don't. 

Some clothes have potential, but then there's some giant cupcake or princess on the shirt or butt of the pants.  

I'm fine with pink, but everything seems to have ruffles and lace everywhere. 

I've looked everywhere for simple outfits!!!  Sure, there are some out there, but they end up being $30-$50 and it seems crazy to spend that kind of money.  Zulilly has cute stuff, but it's always super expensive.  I even have a hard time finding stuff at baby gap. 

I honestly don't mean to offend anyone who likes the really girly outfits, it's just not my style and I'd love to find simple/cute clothes for our DD.

Any suggestions on where to purchase?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I'm sorry, but I hate baby girl clothes

• Options
    I hear ya and totally understand. I like the gap for clothes but again they do have a lot of lace/frilly stuff. :(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I agree with you!  Selection-wise, there is usually a larger quantity of girls clothes than boys clothes in the stores around here.  But even though there's a larger selection, I don't like them at all.  It was one of the things I thought of when I found out we were having two boys.

I guess I'm kind of picky though...I don't care for lace and frilly things, I don't like animal prints, I don't care for anything sparkly/rhinestone, and I really don't like the skull and crossbones items out there.  No offense to anyone here, it's just NMS.

GL on your quest!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm with you. I end up buying her a bunch of clothes because I'm a super picky dresser for my LO - I like to dress her in "real" people clothes. Does that make sense? Old Navy seem to have the best basics - especially jeans. Affordable. I've had some luck at Gap and Nordstrom Rack.
    Anniversary< br > Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker< br > Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I like the First Impressions line at Macys...I buy it on clearance though, b/c it is pricey.  I've also received some cute items from the Osk Kosh line at Target, some pink, but not overly flowery.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I love, love, love the new bold colors they have this season, Carters has a whole huge new selection that I buy most at Ross for super cheap, usually 5-7 dollars per outfit. Also there is a ton of browns and different colors of pink, and I love them too! I do like some of the frilly things but usually shy away from them. Overall, I think it's much much easier to shop for girls than boys.
  • Options

I'm on the same page.  Expecting a girl, yet I hate most of the baby girl clothes!  I try to go gender neutral.  I love all the boy clothing and get jealous.

Carters carries some gender neutral attire that's very nice. 

Married 5-24-2008;
    BFP 4-19-11. Ezri Ana born on due date, Dec 30 2011!
    My Ovulation Chart 
    BFP 10-05-2014; MMC 11-15-2014.
    BFP 02-17-2015
  • Options

I'm right there with you. I was happy to have a girl but knew that finding her clothes would be tough. And that I would be afraid of nearly everything that was gifted to her. I have a fairly strict "no pink" policy, because my husband and I both have a strong aversion to it. That being said, I like *some* cutesy or girly things, but nothing over the top. I like clothes that look like smaller adult clothes, or I like play clothes (tees, leggings, etc) that are just fun bright colors. No words, ruffles, bunnies, bears, hearts, etc. 

I've had pretty good luck at Carters. It's definitely kid's clothes, but they have a lot of the bright colors and bold patterns that I like for girls. They have a lot of pink and stuff with words on it too, but I just walk by those racks. Also, their stuff is all comfy and soft and very washable. They can be pricey at full prices but if you shop the sales and clearance racks with the mailed coupons the prices are actually cheaper than Ross and TJ Maxx. Plus, they have a never ending return policy.

Like PP said, we also shop the boys section. Especially for basics like jammies, hoodies, and t-shirts. They have better colors and I happen to like the skulls and rocker stuff on my girl. 

Old Navy is pretty good too, especially for the price. Jeans are definitely the best from there because you can find stuff that isn't embroidered with extra crap.

Lastly, they don't have many stores yet (we have them where I live) but I have found some stuff at 77kids (it's the kid's version of American Eagle) and you might want to check out the online store if you don't have one near you. It's definitely more expensive than the above stores I mentioned, but the clearance prices can be decent. The whole store has a rock and roll vibe, which I like. It's great quality too. 

Unfortunately, I'm afraid it's only going to get worse as she grows. I've seen what is out there for girls and it's way scarier than the baby stuff.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Surprisingly JC Penney has a good selection. We got the cutest set that was black and red with these zebra print pants. Plus on their website you can search by color which helps find the more offbeat items.

• Options
    ... and I am jealous of little girl clothes.
  • Options
    I never really cared for frilly lacy girly clothes for myself so I didn't think I would want it for my LO.  Now I am glad to have any clothes for her.  We are still rocking the outfits from her shower.  I need more clothes but then again I need more money to buy them lol.  I hope you have luck in finding clothes you like for her.  
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm not into it either. I also feel like a lot if it looks uncomfortable and I just want my baby to be cozy and comfy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm glad I'm not alone!  And thanks for all the suggestions!

I have a ton of gender neutral clothes and will go to the boys department for some items.   

Normally our DD is in a long sleeve white onesie with simple pants!   I knew buying clothes wouldn't be easy for a girl.

And like a PP said, looking at the pre-teen and teen section is VERY scary!!!!  

• Options

After we found out it was a girl the first thing I thought about was the clothes....I can not stand tons of lace, the princess/cupcake things, or stupid sayings about shopping,boys, jewelry.  DH is in agreement and uses some stronger language when we go out looking for clothes . 

DD does not have a ton of clothes because DH and I are so stinking picky.  If I find a pattern or outfit that I like I usually buy one or two and occasionally in the next size up. I am fortunate that DH will watch DS so I can go out shopping and when I nurse DD I will go online to shop. I can not say that I have one store that I have found works but here are my favorite brands along with the stores.

Kissy Kissy: Once you get over the name they have some simple patterns. It can be expensive but can be found at Nordstrom Rack and tons of places online discounted.

Ralph Lauren: I don't get why simple is so expensive. They have outlet stores and Carsons/Yonkers has great sales where you can sometimes use the coupons.

GAP:  The online sales are awesome....free shipping if you spend 50 but it can be slow. I have had some luck at the outlets.

Tea: They have an website and can be found at some of the larger department stores.

Hanna Anderson: The stores don't always have the best selection but the website is worth a try. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Okay, I dont actually have experience BUYING baby girl clothes,as my LO is a boy, buuuut that doesnt mean I dont lookBig Smile  I love the selection for both boys and girls at The Childrens Place! and if you have an outlet store nearby, you can get an entire outfit for about $5!!!! That right there makes me love it even more! Im not a huge fan of the ruffles, or frilly tutu skirts, but think polka dots and littel animals(NOT ANIMAL PRINT THOUGH!!!) are super adorable. Walmart actually has some pretty cute baby stuff occasionally as well!

• Options
    oh and i forgot to add that i LOVE LOVE LOVE target as well!!
  • Options
    I love marshalls and tj maxx.
    oa1
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

? Voted Cool Cat ~ 2012 Sweetpea Mom Awards ?

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

imagesuzyqjmu:
    ... and I am jealous of little girl clothes.

Same here! Having a boy has saved us so much money. If we had a girl, I'm afraid I would go crazy and buy her clothes ALL the time. With a boy, I just have to buy things when I can actually find something I like...

• Options

Thanks so much for all the Old Navy suggestions!  I can't believe I didn't think of them earlier!!!  I just spent the last hour picking out all kinds of stuff for our DD!!!  

They even had baby girl college sports apparel....OMG, my DH will be so excited. 

And since I haven't bought any "normal" clothes for myself in almost a year, I just had to pop right over to Banana Republic and pick up a couple things for myself :).  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"