Postpartum Depression

PPD or horrible mother

So when I first had my baby I went through a really hard time for about a month when I was very depressed and overwhelmed and felt very disconnected from my daughter and very mournful of my pre-baby life. Since then I have started to feel better, been going to counseling and otherwise functioning normally. The baby can be very difficult crying and always wanting to be held etc. but for the most part STTN. Lately she has not been going back to sleep in the morning when she wakes up like she usually does and I am tired and I find myself getting mad and frustrated with her and sometimes yelling at her to go to sleep. I did this in the beginning too when she would take a long time to go to sleep at night and I got upset. I know this is wrong and afterwards I feel bad and very guilty for getting mad at my 5 month old little baby. I just dont know if this could be PPD still or if Im just a horrible mother. Who yells at their baby? I just was wondering what everyone thinks of this or if anyone has experienced something similar. On a side note I do still also get nasty with my husband sometimes so maybe its PPD in the form of irritability?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: PPD or horrible mother

• It wasn't one of my symptoms, but I know anger/irritability is a PPD symptom!  If you are still going to counseling, I"d say talk about this issue.

If you are thinking about being a horrible mother, you aren't.  You are just a mother that needs some more help.

~hugs~

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • I think it is PPD. I don't think it just goes away that quickly. Just keeping working on it.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Thinking you're a horrible mother is another symptom of PPD.  You're not a horrible mother!  If you feel like you are going to yell at the baby, put LO down somewhere safe and go somewhere where you can't hear the crying for 10 minutes.  Then take some deep breaths, and go back when you feel calmer.  I've had to do this quite a few times.  Once I even took a bath to calm down.  You might want to talk to your dr. about upping your meds, also.  It sounds like you might need to adjust them.  Good luck! 
  • Im not on any meds... mostly because Im breastfeeding and although I know they say its safe I didnt feel comfortable taking anything in the beginning when I wasnt sure it was PPD or the baby blues.
  • imagemmarsac:
    Thinking you're a horrible mother is another symptom of PPD.  You're not a horrible mother!  If you feel like you are going to yell at the baby, put LO down somewhere safe and go somewhere where you can't hear the crying for 10 minutes.  Then take some deep breaths, and go back when you feel calmer.  I've had to do this quite a few times.  Once I even took a bath to calm down.  You might want to talk to your dr. about upping your meds, also.  It sounds like you might need to adjust them.  Good luck! 

Im not on any meds... mostly because Im breastfeeding and although I know they say its safe I didnt feel comfortable taking anything in the beginning when I wasnt sure it was PPD or the baby blues.

• Hi. My name is Lydia.  I just had my third baby a month ago, and I noticed I was getting depressed, angry, etc. at anything and everything.  I talk to my husband, and it helps...I sometimes feel like I am a horrible mother too...especially if I skip a breast feeding for a bottle just to give my boobs a break, but no, you are not a horrible mother.  I think that feeling comes and goes even if you have not just had a baby.

CHIN UP!Big Smile

• I didn't have this issue but my baby has colic and cries non stop.  I know we've definitely had some brutal moments where we're tired, frustrated and simply done.  I'd talk to someone before your anger escalates.  Don't be afraid to get help.  Though I didn't personally experience this, you're not alone and shouldn't ever feel that way or like a bad mother.  newborns are tough.  Get some extra help.
  • I'm in the exact same place now! My husband gets mad when I wake him up in the middle of the night to help me get our LO back to sleep after I've been up with him for 2 hours. He thinks that since he works and I'm a SAHM that I'm not working and should be able to handle our babe on my own at 2 in the morning. I try to stay calm and get the baby to sleep but when I start getting really mad, I just have to wake him up. It's started causing a lot of problems in our marriage.....going to the doctor on the 24th....

We are not alone

• Slap the crap out of that man. SAHM work more thana full time job. You need sleep. You get broken sleep durring the day. It is his baby too. I had to walk out on my husband and leave him with my daughter for the day. He never underestimates the work involved anymore. I am not saying that this is the solution to your marriage. Just dont lie downa and take it. You two are in this together and if he feels that you should do it yourself then I would do it yourself, by yourself. No need for that.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I understand the feeling.  My husband and I were having the same problem as you for a while.

imagebnsmith06:

I'm in the exact same place now! My husband gets mad when I wake him up in the middle of the night to help me get our LO back to sleep after I've been up with him for 2 hours. He thinks that since he works and I'm a SAHM that I'm not working and should be able to handle our babe on my own at 2 in the morning. I try to stay calm and get the baby to sleep but when I start getting really mad, I just have to wake him up. It's started causing a lot of problems in our marriage.....going to the doctor on the 24th....

We are not alone

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"