Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Is the babysitter being mean to my baby when I am gone?

I came home early today from work and found my 18 mo old son crying hysterically sitting on the rug in his room. Tears streaming down, really sobbing and worked up. The babysitter looked surprised I was home and picked him up and started nervously chatting about the day. I asked why he was crying (nicely) and she said "oh we were playing peek-a-boo and he got scared." This doesn't feel right to me. In my gut I feel it. My imagination is freaking me out. Is she one of these people that enjoys making a baby cry and then soothes them? Is she taunting him, angry or stressed out? I am planning on getting a nanny cam immediately. She is otherwise supernanny. She cleans even though we tell her she doesn't have to. She makes crafts with him (her idea) and listens to everything we say (diet, naps, etc). So I don't get it. Everything I am reading (and believe you me, I am a googling manaic reading everything I can find on babysitters and emotional abuse) says the baby will shy away or be afraid of the sitter after a while. This is her 4th week with us. I am afraid to ask but what do you think? Any suggestions or comments? Ugh.

Re: Is the babysitter being mean to my baby when I am gone?

• Options
    imagechristeeprego:

This doesn't feel right to me. In my gut I feel it. 

Just lurking, but this(along with your description) tells me it isn't right. Listen to your intuition, you know your baby best.

Hoping it either is what she says it is, or that the situation can be corrected swiftly and with ease. GL to you. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    2012 Races: 3/18 Shamrock Shuffle 5k; 4/14 E.R. Race for Autism 5k (PR! 25:58); 6/9 Riudoso Sprint Triathlon; 6/24 Chunky Monkey 10K; 7/29 Cochiti Lake Olympic Triathlon; 9/16 Chips & Salsa 1/2 Marathon; 10/21 Duke City 1/2 Marathon; 12/2 Rock & Roll 1/2 Marathon in Vegas!
  • Options
    Do you think she had him in a time-out or was punishing him for something?  I don't buy the peekaboo thing but I wouldn't freak out right away.  Just keep your guard up.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would set up the nanny cam.  I highly doubt a game of peek a boo leads to hysterical crying from a toddler.  Hopefully nothing is wrong and that the nanny cam will show nothing.  Maybe she was just nervous that you would think she was a bad sitter because your child was crying??

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Mothers intuition is always right IMO.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    yes, thats what i keep telling the suspicious part of myself...oh c'mon, she is probably just scared i won't like her becasue max was crying. but my intuition is nagging at me. thank you for your validation and advice.
  • Options

Your son is 18 months old so you should be able to get an idea of how the nanny is treating your son by how he reacts when he sees her. Is he happy and excited when he sees her? Or, is it a negative reaction? Is he clean and happy when you get home typically?

I know Morgan cries sometimes when I'm home but it doesn't mean I treat her poorly or don't take care of her. Kids cry.

That being said, I would follow your gut and bring it up in a direct yet professional manner to your nanny.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

As a former nanny, I do want to say that what you are feeling is legit. As a mom I completely understand. But you don't want go blame her right away something that may have been innocent.

Maybe he did something bad and she scolded him and was nervous to tell you that she had to do that. 

I remember when I was a nanny I would have some rough days with the two boys, and I HATED when the mom would come home and completely dismiss all of the bad behavior and hug and kiss them right after I got done having to discipline them.

Its really hard allowing someone else to take over your job. You naturally want to swoop in and shower them with love because you were gone and want to make up for that lost time. I get it trust me!

Just trying to show you what could have gone on from her perspective.

You're right in feeling suspicious though! If you feel you have cause for concern then go ahead with the nanny cam. You can never be too careful. But maybe have a chat with her and ask how she disciplines so you're on the same page with it. 

• Options
    Don't discount your feelings but just to take a step back and give you some perspective, tonight I asked my son if he wanted some milk and he broke down in hysterics like I had just smacked him.  Tears, red face, sobbing.  It's possible it really was something innocent but like I said, don't discount your own feelings about it but just don't assume it MUST be bad, kwim?
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    I seriously doubt that he was crying over Peek-a-boo, and definitely don't discount your intuition.  BUT, I also doubt that he was crying because she had made him cry and was taunting him.  It's a little fishy that she lied, but I imagine that he did something wrong and she maybe scolded him or perhaps she had to tell him no about something which led to a meltdown.  She probably was a little frazzled, surprised that you came home early, didn't have time to calm him down and was sort of embarrassed that you walked in to see him so upset and that she wasn't actively consoling him.  Perhaps it had been a rough day overall, and she stepped away from the situation to take a deep breath while he continued to cry, and felt guilty when you came in.  Trust me, as a SAHM, I have plenty of those types of days with my 18 month old.  And often he has meltdowns over the smallest things.  Sometimes, I just have to walk away or let him have his fit because there isn't much I can do to console him.  She probably didn't want to unload on you about how rough the day was or make you think she couldn't handle the situation, so she lied.  But, I think, as a PP said, if it was an ongoing problem or she was mean to him, he would be upset to see her or for you to leave him with her.  If this is the only thing that's happened that has your mom radar going off, it's probably OK.  The nanny cam is a good idea to see what's really going on, though.  You can never be too careful with your kids and if something doesn't seem right, I think you have every reason to investigate.  
  • Options
    Keep your eye out for sure, that doesn't seem right!
  • Options
    imagelindylogana:

I would set up the nanny cam.  I highly doubt a game of peek a boo leads to hysterical crying from a toddler.  Hopefully nothing is wrong and that the nanny cam will show nothing.  Maybe she was just nervous that you would think she was a bad sitter because your child was crying??

I was going to chime in with that last bit.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    I am all for using the mommy cam but why not just ask her straight out what happened.
  • Options

imageMCC1010:
    I am all for using the mommy cam but why not just ask her straight out what happened.

If you ask her, you might indicate that you're suspicious - In which case, she might be wise enough to look for a nanny cam. 

• Options

imageJCGreene85:
    Mothers intuition is always right IMO.

This.

I would get a nanny cam asap, or ask my child out right. When she comes tomorrow I would see how he reacts to her. If he was even the least bit frightened, I would stay home and send her on her way.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Trust what your child is telling you. Babies are excellent judges of character and don't know how to hide things from you.

When my son (he's 10 now) wasn't even walking yet, I was engaged. Well, my fiance would watch my son when I was on patrol. I noticed that when I got home, my son would do all he could to get to me. He wouldn't want my fiance to hold him. Well, a few days later we went to bed. Fiance said he would get up with the baby since I had to work the next morning. Connor wakes up crying and fiance goes in there. I hear the screaming get worse and he's yelling at Connor "WTF is wrong with you?! Don't be a diick all your life!" by the time I got to the doorway he was holding Connor up level with his head. I thought he was going to throw Connor against the wall. My son was a year old then.

I told my fiance to pack his shiit and be out on the next thing smoking. That was the first time my suspicion was confirmed and I've never spoken to him since then.

• Options
    I'd get a nannycam. If she isn't doing anything wrong--great, if she is you found out and can do something about it. I wouldn't ask her, she's obv going to lie.
  • Options
    Yeah - it doesn't sound right to me, and from what you describe, sounds like you "caught" something - but you may have just caught her even having a moment where she's ignoring your son.  I think you should go with your gut and see if you can find out what's going on.  It might be nothing, or you may find out something.  Better to find out sooner rather than later.  Good luck, and keep us posted.  Poor guy!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not buying the peekaboo story either. I think its weird she lied. I would get a nanny cam. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I agree with the posts mentioning that she wasn't expecting you and was caught off-guard/wasn't prepared to give you the explanation of what really happened. I also agree you should have a talk with her about her discipline techniques so you can keep it consistent with eachother and that she doesn't need to feel uncomfortable letting you know he may have been acting up that day, etc.

I do agree that you can base it somewhat on the child's reaction next time he sees her, but i wouldn't rely on that 100% as my toddler starts crying/screaming/clinging to me when she knows I'm about to leave and someone is there to watch her..

I don't think it would hurt to set up a nanny cam either... better to assume something is wrong and find out nothing is than to have it the other way around. =0)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

ok, heres the update. i never did get a nanny cam, we just let her go. i was going to get a nanny cam but for what? so i can leave my baby with the person who i suspect may be doing something to him?? my husband called her from his job the next morning and gave her the boot. he was polite and didn't go into it other than we need to save money and his sister will be watching him now. he offered to pay her for the rest of the week (this was tuesday). she knows where we live and knows my schedule and we have only known her for a month so i didn't feel comfortable confronting her and having it turn into a big argument. and who knows these days. well it turned out badly. she showed up at my doorstep crying. i was pretty scared actually. she wanted to see max. i handed her the check and that was that. yikes!

trust your gut people!!! and thank you for all the support. it REALLY helped me!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"