Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Rock 'N Play (also posted in Feb2012 board)

Has anyone used a Rock 'N Play before and would you recommend it to use with a newborn and what do you think of it (pro/cons). I am consider getting one and wondering what new moms was thinking
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Rock 'N Play (also posted in Feb2012 board)

• Options
    uhh I LOVED it! my daughter wouldn't sleep in anything else except my arms, it helped me eat and shower in the early weeks. I had one with a 'vibrator' (I don't know the proper term OK!) I used the batteries on that thing because she loved the vibration! I also got one that was a 'bouncer type that had little toys on tops she loved it. the downside? my daughter grew out of so quick!

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • Options
    We moved DS from his crib to the RnP at 4 weeks. He went from sleeping 2-3 hours at a time to STTN (7+ hours). Results will vary. A lot. But that was my experience.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How funny, i was literally just looking at buying this. DS wont sleep anywhere but my arms and when i lay him in his bassinet, crib, bouncer etc he spits up. I will let you know how it goes...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yes, I would absolutely recommend it. He sleeps so much better in the RnP than anywhere else.
  • Options

We love our RnP so much! We didn't buy it until LO was about a month old, but it is my favorite baby item by far.

Pros:

1.  LO has mild case of reflux, so it is good for him to lay in after he eats.

2.  Very lightweight, very portable.

3.  Baby sleeps so well in it.

Con:

1. Some people on the boards have mentioned that it can cause a flat spot on the back of the head.  Out solution to this is to place a folded recieving blanket under the head in between the cover and the base to give it a little extra padding.  With over two months of use--no problems so far.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Me: 37--Thyroid Cancer survivor. H:38. DS born 6/22/2011; BFP#2--11/5/12--Missed miscarriage discovered 12/21/2012.  BFP#3--5/20/14--another MMC 6/16/14.
  • Options
    imagejchickiem:

We love our RnP so much! We didn't buy it until LO was about a month old, but it is my favorite baby item by far.

Pros:

1. LO has mild case of reflux, so it is good for him to lay in after he eats.

2. Very lightweight, very portable.

3. Baby sleeps so well in it.

Con:

1. Some people on the boards have mentioned that it can cause a flat spot on the back of the head. Out solution to this is to place a folded recieving blanket under the head in between the cover and the base to give it a little extra padding. With over two months of use--no problems so far.

This. No cons for us. Flat head is a concern for crib sleepers as well. Ds sleeps 7+ hours in it at night and we bought one for him to nap in at daycare.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    We LOVE the RNP.  We wanted to put DS in crib from day 1, but he wasnt having it, so we had to invest in the RNP. Great decision, because he loves it and sleeps decent in it (he is not a great sleeper to begin with, but without this..ughhh!).  I would say its hands down a great investment, IMO.

• Options

I can safely say the RnP has been my favorite, most-used item. My DD has been sleeping in at night in our room since she came home from the hospital.

ETA: The pros are that it's light and easy to move around the house; good for traveling; perfect for keeping next to your bed (for BF at night);  pad is washable (found this out after DD had a blowout one night); the rocking is good for soothing; and it's inexpensive. 

I can't think of a con. I've read info about it causing flat head, but crib sleeping causes flat head too. DD doesn't have one. 

• Options

GET IT _ GET IT _ GET IT NOW! Best thing since sliced bread!

I wish they had them when DD1 would only sleep in her carseat! DD2 is outgrowing hers now - or favors her crib - but she was in that thing every time she slept and loved it!

• Options
    imagesallydraper:

I can safely say the RnP has been my favorite, most-used item. My DD has been sleeping in at night in our room since she came home from the hospital.

ETA: The pros are that it's light and easy to move around the house; good for traveling; perfect for keeping next to your bed (for BF at night);  pad is washable (found this out after DD had a blowout one night); the rocking is good for soothing; and it's inexpensive. 

I can't think of a con. I've read info about it causing flat head, but crib sleeping causes flat head too. DD doesn't have one. 

I know alot of moms swear by this and it makes the babies sleep better....but I'm really WEARY of it.  I just have a bad feeling about it, and after reading all of the 'negative' reviews on amazon and babies-r-us, it was enough for me to not take any chance with my babies.  My babies have slept in their crib and on their back since day 1, I alternate their head/necks so they don't get flat spots.  I also feel the RnP is really back for neck muscle development. 

but I guess everyone should do as they please.  My babies have only now begun sttn, and maybe they would have done so sooner in the RnP.  At least I don't have to re-train them to sleep on a flat surface or in their cribs.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

We just used ours for the first time last night and it was the best night of sleep I've had in almost 3 weeks :)

Pros is that it fits nicely next to my bed, so no getting up if I need to soothe her for a second. Also, lightweight and folds flat for travel, which is great since we will take at least 3 trips with her by the time she's 3 months old.

No cons yet. I have seen people express concern that it will cause a flat spot on the head, but that is not unique to the RNP . Anywhere an infant spends too much time on their back you run the risk of developing a flat spot. That's why supervised tummy time is so important when they're awake. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Con: LO#1 had colic and wanted to sleep on an incline and we got it before he was born. He always turned his head to one side. He got a flat side of the head, so we started putting him in the PNP bassinet. So we didn't use it for LO#2. She doesn't have reflux of colic. I guess that as long as you make sure that LO doesn't sleep on the same side all the time you it would be ok.

Pro: I do have to say that it was more convenient to travel with the RNP than a bassinet or PNP because it is so little.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageTikat:

GET IT _ GET IT _ GET IT NOW! Best thing since sliced bread!

I wish they had them when DD1 would only sleep in her carseat! DD2 is outgrowing hers now - or favors her crib - but she was in that thing every time she slept and loved it!

LOL at this. We love ours but LO sleeps so good in it that I do dread the day he outgrows it and we have to transition to the crib.

• Options
    imagegoogle123:
    imagesallydraper:

I know alot of moms swear by this and it makes the babies sleep better....but I'm really WEARY of it.  I just have a bad feeling about it, and after reading all of the 'negative' reviews on amazon and babies-r-us, it was enough for me to not take any chance with my babies.  My babies have slept in their crib and on their back since day 1, I alternate their head/necks so they don't get flat spots.  I also feel the RnP is really back for neck muscle development. 

but I guess everyone should do as they please.  My babies have only now begun sttn, and maybe they would have done so sooner in the RnP.  At least I don't have to re-train them to sleep on a flat surface or in their cribs.

Do you have a medical degree that allows you to really state that it is bad for neck/muscle development?  Seriously, it is annoying that you said this.   There is no evidence that this is the case.

My baby has a flat head.  He slept in a RnP.  His flatness started when we moved him into a crib and he started sleeping long stretches.  

Some babies get flat heads no matter what. 

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)

• Options
    imagegoogle123:
    imagesallydraper:

Do you have a medical degree that allows you to really state that it is bad for neck/muscle development?  Seriously, it is annoying that you said this.   There is no evidence that this is the case.

My baby has a flat head.  He slept in a RnP.  His flatness started when we moved him into a crib and he started sleeping long stretches.  

Some babies get flat heads no matter what. 

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)

• Options
    LOVE ours.  DD would only sleep with me the first 4 wks, and it got exhausting.  She loves the RNP.
  • Options

We never used a RNP. 

I know it probably wouldn't matter...but I was always worried that if I let DS sleep in a RNP or Swing he wouldn't sleep well in his bassinet or crib.  I had a friend that used a RNP a lot and they had a lot of trouble transitioning LO out of it.

That being said...I've head EVERYBODY loves their RNP.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I was given 2 hand-me-down RnPs from another twin mom.  They are great for my preemies.  At first  I was putting them  in the crib at night, but one of my guys gets a little reflux.  He sleeps much better in the RnP.  They are in my living room during the day and I just carry them into the bedroom at bedtime.  I can't think of many cons, especially since I got mine for free!

• Options
    Love love love it! My LO sleeps better there than anywhere else. It is Amazing and really portable. I think it is my fav baby item. I didn't want to register for it but my friend told me to and I'm so thankful I listened
    After almost 3 years and 2 IUIs our lil guy is here! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker <a href="http://s579.photobucket.com/albums/ss238/hall_kyrac/?action=view
  • Options
    imagegoogle123:
    imagesallydraper:

That's all well and fine, but do you have anything to back up your comment about neck muscle development? I've never heard anything about the RnP leading to poor neck muscle control, did you just throw that in to make your point more compelling?  Personally speaking, DD is a little over 2 months old, and has great neck control. She has tummy time every day, sits in her Bumbo, and is starting to lift her head on her own while laying flat. She also will take naps in her crib and on my bed (laying flat). 

p.s. you're "wary" of the RnP...I don't think it makes you tired. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"