Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

BM and Formula? Need encouragement/advice.

I EBF but my DD is 10 weeks and still seems to want to eat every 1- 1 1/2 hours during the day (has pretty much been like this since birth). Sometimes I know it's just comfort nursing, but other times I think she is actually hungry. She was 7 lb 11 oz at birth and 11 lb. 13 oz. at her 2 month appt. She is gaining weight well and has plenty of wet diapers, and I thought she would be able to space out feedings a little more by now, but she hasn't.I hate pumping..it's hard to find the time to do it while trying to take care of her, and since she eats so frequently I also don't get much when I pump during the day. So going out and leaving her with DH or another caregiver is few and far between. It's also really difficult to go anywhere in public with her because I have to feed her so frequently. She doesn't nap well during the day either (usually 30 minutes here and there).Is her frequent feedings a supply issue? Is she ever going to not have to eat as frequently? (Her pediatrician wants me to try and get her to go every 2-3 hours but that isnt working.)I just don't know what to do. Sometimes I feel like it would be nice to supplement with formula a little and breastfeed her when I'm with her (which is really most of the time since i"m a SAHM). I just feel like I don't have any freedom and it's really wearing me down. I do enjoy breastfeeding, just wish she could eat a little less frequently.Any advice or encouragement is appreciated!  Also, if I did start to supplement with formula a little, how would it affect my supply? Would I have to pump every time we gave a bottle of formula (that would be hard)?  Sorry for all the questions but I'm a FTM and just trying to figure it out. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: BM and Formula? Need encouragement/advice.

• Options
    Sorry I can't give you hard advice but what I can say is go to your lactation consultant and do a feeding session with them.  They will weigh her before you nurse and then after you nurse to see if she's taking in enough milk.  After that you can decide what to do.  If you are having low milk supply, which can happen this late in the game, have you tried different methods to stimulate the production?  Fenugreek, the special tea, oatmeal (not instant), lactation cookies, I've heard dark beer works.  And, if you do choose to supplement you will still need to pump at the same time to keep your supply up.  GL and HTH!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I haven't tried any of those...I never thought I had a supply issue because she has PLENTY of wet diapers (I probably change her 10-14 times a day) and is gaining weight well (I think she was in the 75th percentile at 2 months). But regardless of this, she is still eating all the time!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I EBF and pump at work (went back full time at 6 weeks postpartum.)  From what I can tell, I am one of those moms who makes EXACTLY what my baby needs, and not a drop more.  Definitely no oversupply issues... :-(

Prior to returning to work to build up a daycare stash, I would pump on one breast while my daughter nursed on the other.  That was a great way for me to put aside some BM to save so that I could get out of the house and leave her with others. 

My daughter likes to nurse frequently also; I think a lot of it is comfort nursing since she doesn't see me all day long.  The daycare feeds her three bottles (3 oz each) one in the morning, one around noon, and one in the afternoon.  She also takes nice long naps at the daycare (better than she does for me at home!)  I pump between 8 to 10 oz during three sessions while I'm at work, which is what my baby gets while I'm gone.

I probably nurse my daughter every hour or two like you mention.  I doubt 100% of those "feedings" are because she is legitimately hungry... part of it is just when she starts to fuss a little bit I'd rather just shut her up with a boob than trying other solutions for a half hour.  I also discovered that I can shimmy the Baby Bjorn to one side or the other, allowing my daughter to nurse in the carrier and giving me two free hands to wash dishes, take the dog for a walk, sweep the floor etc.  (I'm a single mom so I had to get creative!)

If you do decide to supplement with formula, yes try to pump each time you give a bottle since otherwise your body will interpret that as a drop in demand, and as a result your supply will be affected.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage image
  • Options
    It is NOT a supply issue, your baby would not be gaining weight properly if it was a supply issue.  With my first son I didn't notice a huge difference in his nursing schedule until around 3 months then he started doing more and would go longer between sessions.  I would recommend giving it a few more weeks and see if things change then if not consider other options.  Just my opinion.
  • Options
    I bf, pump, and give my Lil Man one bottle of formula a day. You dont have to pump if you give her a bottle but you might want to. I pump so if i need to go out i can give him a bottle and dont have to nurse in public. If i were you try it and see how it works for you. With the formula you might be able to spred out her feedings with the an occassional bottle of formula cause it takes longer to digest formula. Good luck
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I EBF for the first 3-4 weeks. I found myself having the same prob as you so we began to supplement 1-2 bottles a day of FM. Don't feel bad if you need to supplement in FM. Supplementing didt affect my supple negatively. I still boobie fed him majority of the time. He only gets FM if I have no BM frozen or im tired and dont feel like boobie feeding him or pumping. I am not back at work so I am beginning to pump more and I can get 3-4oz out of each breast when I pump.

I also pump every 3-4 hours while Im at work and as needed when I am at home. oh and my son is also 10 weeks.

Just do whats best for you.

• Options
    imagegy86:

I EBF and pump at work (went back full time at 6 weeks postpartum.)  From what I can tell, I am one of those moms who makes EXACTLY what my baby needs, and not a drop more.  Definitely no oversupply issues... :-(

Prior to returning to work to build up a daycare stash, I would pump on one breast while my daughter nursed on the other.  That was a great way for me to put aside some BM to save so that I could get out of the house and leave her with others. 

My daughter likes to nurse frequently also; I think a lot of it is comfort nursing since she doesn't see me all day long.  The daycare feeds her three bottles (3 oz each) one in the morning, one around noon, and one in the afternoon.  She also takes nice long naps at the daycare (better than she does for me at home!)  I pump between 8 to 10 oz during three sessions while I'm at work, which is what my baby gets while I'm gone.

I probably nurse my daughter every hour or two like you mention.  I doubt 100% of those "feedings" are because she is legitimately hungry... part of it is just when she starts to fuss a little bit I'd rather just shut her up with a boob than trying other solutions for a half hour.  I also discovered that I can shimmy the Baby Bjorn to one side or the other, allowing my daughter to nurse in the carrier and giving me two free hands to wash dishes, take the dog for a walk, sweep the floor etc.  (I'm a single mom so I had to get creative!)

If you do decide to supplement with formula, yes try to pump each time you give a bottle since otherwise your body will interpret that as a drop in demand, and as a result your supply will be affected.

That is a good idea but I haven't quite mastered pumping one side while feeding her on the other. :/ 

• Options

imagebeedale862003:
    It is NOT a supply issue, your baby would not be gaining weight properly if it was a supply issue.  With my first son I didn't notice a huge difference in his nursing schedule until around 3 months then he started doing more and would go longer between sessions.  I would recommend giving it a few more weeks and see if things change then if not consider other options.  Just my opinion.

Thank you..I keep thinking it'll get better (a lot of people told me at 6 weeks she should start spacing out feedings) so maybe I'm just being impatient. I would just be happy if she consistently ate every 2 hours, instead of every 1-1 1/2. It would also help if she napped longer than 30 minutes at a time during the day!

I guess I just need to give it a little more time. I have made it this far (and she is gaining weight well, so I didn't think I had any supply issues) so hopefully she will start spacing out feedings soon. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"