Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Who circumcised....?

I'm sneaking on here from the November 2011 board and I know that this might seem like a weird thing to ask all of you. But, DH and I have been talking about circumcision a lot in the last week or so. He has found a some research reporting that circumcision is on the decline because there is no medical reason to do it anymore. However, my OB says that it is still very common and she would circumcise her son if she had one. I have a much easier time hearing opinions from people rather than reading research studies. 

So, I wanted to know how many of you still decided to circumcise your boys? If you would like to share your reasoning please do. The additional information would be great. 

Thank you all!  

[Poll]

Re: Who circumcised....?

• Options

When our DS was born, we were told that the AAP was once again recommending circumcision, but since their recommendation changes about every 10 minutes, we decided to what we were comfortable with.  We circumcised our li'l boy.  I figured it wouldn't hurt anything, and it's so much easier to do it when they are newborns than when they get older.  DH is also circumcised and he was very pro circumcision.  Being a woman, I didn't have a strong feeling one way or the other, so I left this call up to DH.

The nurse at the hospital also told us that on the coasts circumcision is on a drastic decline but in the midwest (where we live) it's still 80-90%.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

It is still very popular and it is also on the decline. I do not think there is any true medical reason for it or against it.  We went with it.  Our reasoning was that we have a few friends who were not circ and they wish they were. We never heard of anyone who was circ wishing they hadn't been. The procedure was very simple.  One of our friends had to have it done later in life and that was not so simple. 

It is a very personal decision and not one that anyone, but you and your H can make. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    In conservative regions, it is still popular. But in more liberal communities, it is on the decline. DH was adamant(sp?) about NOT circumcising our son. Since it originally started off as a religious practice and doesn't have any medical purpose, he felt it was senseless to put our son through such a traumatic experience. Once we watched a video of the procedure in our birthing class, it sealed the deal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had heard that the rate is about 50/50.  When I signed the consent form at the hospital they were very clear that there is no medical reason to do it.  I told DH that since I don't have a penis he could make the decision!  Since he's circumcised he wanted DS to be too. 
  • Options

We circumcised.  My ob said that there really isn't a medical advantage, but that if it's not done it is harder to clean bc of the extra skin and if it's not cleaned well he could possibly get an infection.  Also, and this might sound silly, but everyone we know with a son has had it done and if in the future he is in gym changing I wouldn't want him to get teased for his being different if anyone caught a glimpse of it.

PS check with your insurance prior to going into the hospital.  My insurance covered it fully but ONLY if it was done in the hospital, prior to discharge.  Had we had it done in the dr's office it would have been 100% out of pocket.

• Options
    I voted yes, but DS is actually getting circed tomorrow. He was a small preemie and we are going to a pediatric urologist rather than having it done before we left the NICU. I had DH make the final decision because he is a guy, he is circed, too. It is on the decline, but still very much a common thing in the US.
    BabyFruit Ticker image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I let my husband decided, and he said he wanted it done.
  • Options
    didn't do it. Two OB's and our pediatrician told us that because the risks and benefits associated with doing it are so small, that the decision is primarily cosmetic and that often people choose to have their son look like their dad. B/c my DH and I are not concerned with our LOs penis looking like his fathers, we decided not to do it. 
  • Options
    imageLStorms:

When our DS was born, we were told that the AAP was once again recommending circumcision, but since their recommendation changes about every 10 minutes, we decided to what we were comfortable with.  We circumcised our li'l boy.  I figured it wouldn't hurt anything, and it's so much easier to do it when they are newborns than when they get older.  DH is also circumcised and he was very pro circumcision.  Being a woman, I didn't have a strong feeling one way or the other, so I left this call up to DH.

The nurse at the hospital also told us that on the coasts circumcision is on a drastic decline but in the midwest (where we live) it's still 80-90%.

The AAP did not change their rec.  Whoever told you that was full of it. 

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options

A previous poster mentioned that she didn't want her son to go through something "So Traumatic".  I have to say, it is NOT traumatic at all.  Just ask your OB to use local anesthetic to make sure your lil guy is numb.  Mine told me that they use a penile block, and the baby feels nothing.  My son did not seem affected by it at all, and it was healed up within a few days.

Best wishes  Smile

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

The nurse who taught our newborn care class is the one who told us the recommendation had changed.  Based on some research, it appears the AAP still recommends against circumcision, however, this article in the peer reviewed scientific journal "Pediatrics" challenges that recommendation.

https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/118/1/385.full

• Options

Your poll may be skewed by the title of your post. I didn't circumcise and I almost didn't click on the post because the title implies that you have a question about the process itself.

As far as the decision itself, here is the Dr. Sears article on the subject. It pretty much sums up my feelings on it as well.

• Options

The AAP recommendation has been against it for over a decade...they hardly change their position on it willy nilly like the PP implies/states.

We decided against it.  It's cosmetic and medically unnecessary.   It's on the decline.  My H wishes he were not circ'd (I think a lot of men would feel this way if they did real circumcision research).  An aunt I'm very close to chose not to circ my 14 year old cousin, so I was influenced by that at an early age.  Also, ironically, he had a very rare medical condition that required he be circ'd when he was 5 anyway.  And it was not the traumatic and awful experience one might imagine.  He was fine, he IS fine with it now, and that really drove home for me that my son could always opt to have it done later in life if he wanted.  Also, the locker room argument means nothing to me - I'll never understand it really - teenagers develop so differently in everything from public hair to breast size to nipple color/size/prominence...IMO, we should teach kids that everyone is different, not cosmetically alter our children to fit in more.  And I live in California where I imagine my son will be either in the majority or in a not-very-noticable minority with his uncirc'd penis.  My H also was on the swim team, is 31 now, and remembers it being no big deal the 1 or 2 guys he encountered in the locker room growing up who were uncirc'd.

Basically, my baby was born with a foreskin.  I honestly can't think of a single reason in the world good enough for me to take it away from him.  I have felt passionately enough against it for long enough that it's something my H and I agreed on before we were even married or discussing babies. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageLStorms:

The nurse who taught our newborn care class is the one who told us the recommendation had changed.  Based on some research, it appears the AAP still recommends against circumcision, however, this article in the peer reviewed scientific journal "Pediatrics" challenges that recommendation.

Not going to go round and round about this.  The recommendation is still standing, and for good reason.  

I read the article you posted, and don't really have time to go through the many issues I see with it.   

I will say the AAP does not suppress the evidence.  It is just that when you look at the actual numbers per 100,000, the percentages of those who have issues are so small that the they still have deemed the surgery an unnecessary cosmetic procedure.   

Any part of the human body can become infected/irritated/etc.  The penis is no different.  However, the likelihood of it is rare.  Extremely rare.

The bottom line is you still got the wrong info.  IMO that nurse should be reported.  Yes, it is the parents responsibility to research.  But, I am sure parents saw her as an knowledgeable authority figure. Telling parents that medical recommendations have changed, when you are in a position of authority like being a medical professional teaching birth classes, is terrible.   

The recommendations haven't changed since 1999.  That is hardly changing at the drop of a hat.   

• Options
    imageXSailoretteX:

Your poll may be skewed by the title of your post. I didn't circumcise and I almost didn't click on the post because the title implies that you have a question about the process itself.

As far as the decision itself, here is the Dr. Sears article on the subject. It pretty much sums up my feelings on it as well.

LOL, I just posted this on the same poll on the 3-6 month board:

I just wanted to let you know that your results of this clicky poll are going to be skewed. Since you titled it "who circumcised" many people that did not are not going to bother clicking on the link because of the way you phrased the title. I have seen many post on here that are talking about problems after circumcision and generally they are titled the same (or close) and most people that chose not to circumcise wont bother opening the thread because they assume it wont apply to them.    

• Options
    imagekatie4253:
    imageLStorms:

Not going to go round and round about this.  The recommendation is still standing, and for good reason.  

I read the article you posted, and don't really have time to go through the many issues I see with it.   

I will say the AAP does not suppress the evidence.  It is just that when you look at the actual numbers per 100,000, the percentages of those who have issues are so small that the they still have deemed the surgery an unnecessary cosmetic procedure.   

Any part of the human body can become infected/irritated/etc.  The penis is no different.  However, the likelihood of it is rare.  Extremely rare.

The bottom line is you still got the wrong info.  IMO that nurse should be reported.  Yes, it is the parents responsibility to research.  But, I am sure parents saw her as an knowledgeable authority figure. Telling parents that medical recommendations have changed, when you are in a position of authority like being a medical professional teaching birth classes, is terrible.   

The recommendations haven't changed since 1999.  That is hardly changing at the drop of a hat.   

I agree that the nurse shouldn't have mispoken.  My only point was regardless what anyone tells you, we did our own research and made a decision we were comfortable with and I think the OP should do the same.  No one can tell you what is right for your LO.

• Options

imageSockMonkeySam:
    I let my husband decided, and he said he wanted it done.

^this. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The absolute stupidest reason for circumcision is "my husband is circumcised and wants our son to be also". Part of my inner labia tore off during childbirth, but I won't be cutting my daughters off. We don't need matching genitalia. Maybe we'll just get sweaters or something.
  • Options
    Not circed.  Not religious.  I ruled and made my baby perfect, so I didn't need to have any part of him cut off or cosmetically redesigned.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagearuiz1982:
    The absolute stupidest reason for circumcision is "my husband is circumcised and wants our son to be also". Part of my inner labia tore off during childbirth, but I won't be cutting my daughters off. We don't need matching genitalia. Maybe we'll just get sweaters or something.

Yes

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageObLaDi:

imagearuiz1982:

Yes

agree. also, by the time a boy will actually look like their daddy, they're probably not hanging out together naked (don't know about y'all, but my DH's penis does not look like a baby penis). 

• Options
    imageStefandTodd:

The AAP recommendation has been against it for over a decade...they hardly change their position on it willy nilly like the PP implies/states.

We decided against it.  It's cosmetic and medically unnecessary.   It's on the decline.  My H wishes he were not circ'd (I think a lot of men would feel this way if they did real circumcision research).  An aunt I'm very close to chose not to circ my 14 year old cousin, so I was influenced by that at an early age.  Also, ironically, he had a very rare medical condition that required he be circ'd when he was 5 anyway.  And it was not the traumatic and awful experience one might imagine.  He was fine, he IS fine with it now, and that really drove home for me that my son could always opt to have it done later in life if he wanted.  Also, the locker room argument means nothing to me - I'll never understand it really - teenagers develop so differently in everything from public hair to breast size to nipple color/size/prominence...IMO, we should teach kids that everyone is different, not cosmetically alter our children to fit in more.  And I live in California where I imagine my son will be either in the majority or in a not-very-noticable minority with his uncirc'd penis.  My H also was on the swim team, is 31 now, and remembers it being no big deal the 1 or 2 guys he encountered in the locker room growing up who were uncirc'd.

Basically, my baby was born with a foreskin.  I honestly can't think of a single reason in the world good enough for me to take it away from him.  I have felt passionately enough against it for long enough that it's something my H and I agreed on before we were even married or discussing babies. 

Agree!

• Options
    imagekatie4253:
    imageLStorms:

The AAP did not change their rec.  Whoever told you that was full of it. 

Yes

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    imageCocoBrynne:

We circumcised.  My ob said that there really isn't a medical advantage, but that if it's not done it is harder to clean bc of the extra skin and if it's not cleaned well he could possibly get an infection.  Also, and this might sound silly, but everyone we know with a son has had it done and if in the future he is in gym changing I wouldn't want him to get teased for his being different if anyone caught a glimpse of it.

PS check with your insurance prior to going into the hospital.  My insurance covered it fully but ONLY if it was done in the hospital, prior to discharge.  Had we had it done in the dr's office it would have been 100% out of pocket.

I'm sorry, but it does sound silly and incredibly juvenile.

DH is not circumsized and has been in many locker rooms (not just for gym class) with boys who were throughout his childhood and high school years. He never got teased by the others. Never. I realize my DH is just one person, but I don't understand why this is an "argument".

Not related the the poster I quoted, but I also don't agree with women when they say that they are a woman and so they let the dad decide. It's still your child - so instead of sticking your head in the sand, maybe doing some research and making an informed decision together is a better option.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options

imageCateB95:
    I told DH that since I don't have a penis he could make the decision!  Since he's circumcised he wanted DS to be too. 

This! We wanted DS and DH to be the same. 

• Options

imagearuiz1982:

I agree.  Even if they are the same circumcision wise, they still don't look the same at all.  Size, hair, etc are all different.  

Also, "my husband has a penis and I don't so I let him make the decision" ranks right up there as a stupid reason.  Seriously, I don't have a penis.  I can still research the decision.  Having a penis doesn't automatically qualify you to make decisions about someone else's penis.   

• Options
    imagevanessalv:

This! We wanted DS and DH to be the same. 

Yes  We had a girl, but we decided that if we did have a son, he would have been circumsized b/c DH is. There is enough evidence for or against either way, so my OBGYN said it is really just the parents' preference. For example, its easier to get an std without being "cut" (higher infection risk under skin folds apparently), but it also is a non-required surgical procedure on an infant (which can also cause infection).

Not sure if this is true, but I read in my friend's pregnancy/baby book (can't remember the name), that even though its slighly declining, that 90% of American males are circumsized, but only 10% of Europeans are. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageLStorms:

Thank you for posting this. Even though we decided to not circumcise DS, I almost take issue with the claim that there is absolutely no evidence circumcision has ANY medical merit whatsoever. I think that the Dr. Sears article that I posted overstates things a bit in one direction and the Pedicatrics article that you posted overstates things a bit in the other direction.We felt that the pros did not outweigh the cons for us, but it wasn't the obvious decision that some people/website/foreskin-rights advocacy groups make it out to be.

At the end of the day, I think that the circumcise vs. foreskin-keeping debate is a lot like the FF vs. BF debate - way overblown and totally personal. Neither choice is going to harm the child when done correctly.

And like the FF vs. BS debate, the only stupid decision is the ill-informed one or the one made due to social pressures.

As an aside, DH was raised by crazy hippies in a very rural, conservative area and says that while he was teased for many things (his mom sent him to school in lederhosen before he was old enough to know better), his foreskin wasn't one of them so I do a major eyeroll at the claim that people have to have it done for social reasons (not you LStorms, just going off on my own tangent now because of what some others have posted).

• Options

It's about a 50/50 split and NOT circ is becoming the more popular choice. And boy, this topic opens up a big debate.

#1- A PP said her OB actually said it's better to circ to reduce infection. NOT TRUE! I wish the docs were informed and up to date as much as us new mothers. DO YOUR RESEARCH! The myths about locker room teasing and infection is so far off. Teach your son to wash (just like we teach our daughters) and he'll be fine.

#2 - Who the hell leaves it "up to DH" to decide whether or not your baby is circumcised. Isn't he your baby too?? Geesh. Grow some. My DH is circumcised and we agreed we didn't want to do it to our son.

#3- "It's ok as long as DS is numb really well." Really? Does your daughter have some extra skin on her labia? Let's start hacking that off too. We wouldn't dream of mutilating our daughters but it's OK to do it to the sons? Unless there is a religious reason you are doing it, save him.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker CafeMom Tickers JAN09-Oct09: TTC Naturally. OCT09: HSG- Normal NOV09: Round 1 Clomid 50mg CD5-9= BFN DEC09: Round 2 Clomid 100mg CD5-9= BFN JAN10: Round 3 Clomid 100mg CD3-7= BFN FEB10: Round 4 Clomid 150mg CD5-9= BFN SA= 120 million, 54% Motility, 7% Morphology. JUN10: Round 5 Clomid, IUI, unsuccessful. JUL10: DONE & FED UP. OCT10: Started Integrative Reiki Energy Therapy. NOV 05, 2010: BFP! SEPT 20, 2012: BFP! More Reiki and Baby Z #2 is on his way! Due May 29, 2013
  • Options
    imagelincolngirl:
    didn't do it. Two OB's and our pediatrician told us that because the risks and benefits associated with doing it are so small, that the decision is primarily cosmetic and that often people choose to have their son look like their dad. B/c my DH and I are not concerned with our LOs penis looking like his fathers, we decided not to do it. 
    This.
  • Options
    imagekatie4253:

imagearuiz1982:

I agree.  Even if they are the same circumcision wise, they still don't look the same at all.  Size, hair, etc are all different.  

Also, "my husband has a penis and I don't so I let him make the decision" ranks right up there as a stupid reason.  Seriously, I don't have a penis.  I can still research the decision.  Having a penis doesn't automatically qualify you to make decisions about someone else's penis.   

While I actually agree with almost everything you said on the subject.  I don't feel the bolded part is a "stupid" reason.  Everyone has there reasons why they did or didn't, but to call an opinion "stupid" seems...well...stupid.

I did leave the final decision to my husband.  That doesn't mean I didn't research it, or discuss it with Drs, or think long and hard about the topic.  DH and I discussed the issue at length and I told him I would be more comfortable making the decision knowing that he, being male, would be 100% happy with.  

I do think, that the argument of "we wanted our son to look like daddy" is a weird stance on the subject.  Because I never understood why a dad and son would be showing off their penis' to each other.  I never compared vaginas with my mother....

• Options

First and foremost, your boy is not going to sit there and stare at other kids penises in the locker room... seriously? Most guys get in and out of there and keep their eyes to themselves for fear of being caught---they don't stop to compare penises...and the number of circ. boys is going down... what will you do when your LO gets to HS and realizes he's in the minority b/c his parents thought it was the majority? Hopefully, you'll tell him that everyone is different! (According to a NYTimes article, ~80% of men in the US are circ, but only 56% of infants in 2006 and 32% of infants in 2009 are being circ. (also in the US)

Second, you research almost everything that happens with your child---vaccines, healthcare, your birth, car seats etc... but you just "let DH decide since he has the penis"... That makes no sense, and if I did decide to leave it up to DH he better have a butt load of information to give me regarding his choice be it for OR against...

Third, your DH penis is going to look different from your DS...no matter if they have a "matching set" or not! They aren't taking freaking pictures with their matching sweaters or comparing their penis with their father... and IF they were to compare, then it would be easy to explain the difference---some people even have sons that are different from each other... I know I never compared my vagina to my mom's!

Fourth, circ. or u'circ. all penises are ugly... actually genitalia in general is ugly---who looks at their vagina and says "man I have a hot vajayjay?" lol probably very few...so having had sex with both u'circ. and circ men I can definitely tell I for one have never felt a difference---it's more about whether or not your man knows how to use it properly lol additionally, having a cosmetic procedure to improve the way it looks is kinda silly---genitalia is never going to be like they describe it in romance novels

Fifth, there is no "special care" needed for a u'circ. penis... Wash it like you would a finger---you don't have to pull anything back and you certainly don't have to care for an open wound...no infections if it's cleaned properly--- research it regardless of which way you go! You have to be knowledgeable of how to clean everything else---why can't you learn to clean a penis too?

Sixth, penises will get dirty if they aren't washed properly---same as any other body part! Teach your children to wash their body correctly and it won't be a problem...

Seventh, sexually transmitted diseases/infections affect both men who are circ. and u'circ.; therefore, teach your children, well more like teens, about safe sex! This is an important topic regardless of what happens to their penis... If they don't want to use safe sex practices, then they are asking for an STD! Plus, the only way to prevent 100% STD is to be abstinent (even though I do think this take is slightly impracticaly given the few number of people who follow through with it---nice wish, not realistic for a lot of people)...

There, all that being said, it really comes down to this---RESEARCH IT... don't just let your child go to surgery w/o making sure it is the right decision! There, I said it, have at it ladies...

ETA: I guess I should have specified, DS was not circumcised... we did our research...

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"