Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Advice for new moms

One of my good friends and co-workers is having her baby shower tomorrow night. I got her a bunch of small stuff (diapers, gas drops, onesies, stroller hook, paci wipes, boogie wipes, a bunch of other stuff) and put it in a basket and typed out an explaination for everything and I'm also doing an advice thing too... I have all the important ones like sleep when baby sleeps, make time for yourself, do whatever works best for you and your LO, enjoy the cuddles and snuggles because they grow fast, don't be afraid toask for help, take advantage of all the 'free' stuff at the hospital, including lactation consultants, make time for you and DH, gave her a recipe for diaper rash cream, gave tips on where to go to feed/change LO at local malls and department stores...

Any other advice/tips?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Advice for new moms

• Options
    imageCrash Into Me:

sorry, but sleep when baby sleeps is crap (you should know this!). until this baby learns how to take a bottle, my "me" time is limited to about an hour and a half, maybe 2 hours before DD is ready to eat again. 

Real advice would be something like babies really do cry a lot.  It's okay for them to cry. Knowing about Happiest Baby on the Block would have been key the first few weeks.  Knowing that things will get better with time-the baby won't cry as much and won't need to be fed as often.

A book like What to Expect the First Year has been great.  It really covers the important stuff quickly. A breastfeeding book was also key for me.

I agree....take that off.

• Options
    imageCrash Into Me:

sorry, but sleep when baby sleeps is crap (you should know this!). until this baby learns how to take a bottle, my "me" time is limited to about an hour and a half, maybe 2 hours before DD is ready to eat again. 

Real advice would be something like babies really do cry a lot.  It's okay for them to cry. Knowing about Happiest Baby on the Block would have been key the first few weeks.  Knowing that things will get better with time-the baby won't cry as much and won't need to be fed as often.

A book like What to Expect the First Year has been great.  It really covers the important stuff quickly. A breastfeeding book was also key for me.

Actually, with my first I did sleep alot when she was sleeping. I can only dream of getting a nap now with 2u2, but as a FTM, this was feasible. The make 'me' time is advice that my pedi has in their handbook that they give to all new patients. About half a page on how important it is for new moms to have time to themselves. I EP'd, so 'me' time was also something that could be done because I could pump and leave a bottle or 2 for DH while I went out for a few hours. Everyone's situation is different, so I'm just trying to give her general advice. I've already told her about HBOTB, and she is not sure if she is BF or not yet, but I will add in the part about the crying because that is so true!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Babies cry a lot, but it's also totally normal for the mom to cry a lot too those first few weeks... Don't be surprised if you're not even sad but you're crying anyway! Hormones are crazy and it doesn't mean you're a bad mom.
    July 20th, 2012: Never forget the day the fb douchebags tried so hard, but ultimately failed. Viva la October 2011! Yeah, I called you douchebags.

BFP 1/18/11, EDD 10/1/11. Born at 37w5d on 9/15/11. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***BFP Chart***

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

• Options
    The best piece of advice a friend gave was to not criticize DH when he does something to help even if it is not the way that you would do it...dinner,dressing the baby, changing the baby,etc.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

My favorite advice:

Millions of babies have survived just fine without the wisdom and diagnosis of Dr. Google.

• Options
    imageIvana.Stolichnaya:
    imageCrash Into Me:

I agree....take that off.

I don't know; sleeping together worked pretty well for us.

I agree w/ PP about not criticizing DH when he tries to help. Do whatever possible to encourage DH to get involved.

Also, take LOTS of pictures, especially pictures of baby w/ mom & dad. You forget so quickly how small they are! Take pictures of the everyday things. Unbeknownst to me, DH took a pic of me & DD lying on the couch together napping & it's one of my favorite pics ever. Videos would be even better. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Get her something for herself. Whether its bath salts, a nice robe, something comforting. My brother got me a salon gift certificate. A friend of mine gave me 2 nursing night gowns and a robe from Motherhood (I love that thing!). Everyone thinks about baby, obviously its a baby shower, but mom deserves some love too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagedemmie326:
    The best piece of advice a friend gave was to not criticize DH when he does something to help even if it is not the way that you would do it...dinner,dressing the baby, changing the baby,etc.  

I like this one a lot. And I agree, sleeping when baby sleeps IS possible, it just depends on the baby. I didn't EBF (LO was in the NICU for 2 1/2 weeks) but I did EP and he was usually able to go at least 2.5 hours between feeding. I really think it just depends on the baby. I like the Happiest Baby on the Block book and I love Eat Sleep Poop (mostly for the non-sleep stuff). Also Good Night Sleep Tight. And yes to crying is normal. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"