August 2011 Moms
Options

She's sleeping worse than ever :(

I'm so frustrated and exhausted. For the first month of her life, DD slep well in her PnP in our room. She went 2.5-3 hours at a time, only fussing a little and waking up to eat, then going back to sleep. the past 3-4 nights she will NOT sleep in the PnP. I'll rock or nurse her to sleep, set her down in her bed, and then 10 mins later, like clockwork she starts fussing, which escalates into full-on screaming. She's not gassy - I burp her before putting her down. She's not too hot or cold. The second I pick her up she stops. She just wants to be with me or DH. We got so desperate for sleep last night that we brought her into bed with us for the first time ever. Of course she slept like a champ. Neither DH or I are big on the bed sharing idea though. I don't know what to do! :(
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: She's sleeping worse than ever :(

• Options
    do you have a swing? To get my lo to sleep sometimes I put her in it and it knocks her out. Once I know she is really sound asleep I move her to the bassinet or crib.
  • Options
    Have you tried some kind of white noise machine?  I have issues with DD napping during the day and some kind of white noise always quiets her down.  (Right now, I'll run my own hair dryer or use this video on YouTube, but I'm working on a more permanent solution.)  Hope this helps.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No advice. DS sleeps in bed with us because he won't sleep anywhere else. I'm not sure what to think. It seems like if they will only sleep with us, maybe that's where they're supposes to be. But then, I really want him to sleep on his own. People say not to worry, that they won't go to college sleeping in bed with their parents but I have teenage cousins who sleep in bed with each other or their parents every night. The oldest went away to school and had an awful time sleeping and has to take sleeping pills now.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imagewintermama11:
    Have you tried some kind of white noise machine?  I have issues with DD napping during the day and some kind of white noise always quiets her down.  (Right now, I'll run my own hair dryer or use this video on YouTube, but I'm working on a more permanent solution.)  Hope this helps.
    We do :/ It definitely helps DH and I but not DD!
  • Options
    imageKarma01:
    do you have a swing? To get my lo to sleep sometimes I put her in it and it knocks her out. Once I know she is really sound asleep I move her to the bassinet or crib.
    Thanks :) I tried that but she hates the swing! She also hates the stroller - what baby hates those things?!
  • Options
    imageKD+BC:
    No advice. DS sleeps in bed with us because he won't sleep anywhere else. I'm not sure what to think. It seems like if they will only sleep with us, maybe that's where they're supposes to be. But then, I really want him to sleep on his own. People say not to worry, that they won't go to college sleeping in bed with their parents but I have teenage cousins who sleep in bed with each other or their parents every night. The oldest went away to school and had an awful time sleeping and has to take sleeping pills now.
    Oh no! That's a problem! My brother and I actually slept with my parents until we were around 2 and 5 years old. That seems like a long time to me...I need my space!
  • Options
    I went through this all the way up until a couple weeks ago. He would fight sleep like crazy at night and I did not want to bring him into bed with us so I spent many nights on the couch, with him laying on my chest. If I was lucky, I'd get him to sleep in his swing for a bit which would let me sleep on the couch for a while on my own. I didn't really change anything I was doing except for being more diligent about bed time routine. He also sleeps better when I DON'T rock him to sleep and put him in the crib drowsy. The first time I tried it, I thought for sure he'd start screaming within a few minutes but he didn't. Swaddling and the white noise machine are also definitely a must.  Good luck!
  • Options
    My DS refuses to sleep in his PNP in our room, and he has a hard time sleeping in his crib. So, the Rock and Play is my friend! I broke down and bought one 3 weeks ago. Now we get 2-4 hour stretches of sleep each night. Well worth the $50. We also found that we all sleep better when he's in his own room, and not in our room. So we put him in the RNP in his room, with the video monitor pointed on him, with the sound machine and ceiling fan on. It's been working well for us so far.
  • Options
    imageetoyama:
    imageKD+BC:
    Oh no! That's a problem! My brother and I actually slept with my parents until we were around 2 and 5 years old. That seems like a long time to me...I need my space!
    I don't really mind bedsharing for now because DS and I are actually sleeping but I really don't want to do it for years! Ps. I just realized you're in upstate NY too! I live in Syracuse :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imageKD+BC:

I agree. I bring LO to bed with me when he wakes up. He isn't a screamer, but he will lie awake and wait for me to come get him. I feel like they go through growth periods when they really need us close. Maybe just giving her that for a while will be exactly what she needs.

• Options
    imageKD+BC:
    imageetoyama:
    imageKD+BC:
    I don't really mind bedsharing for now because DS and I are actually sleeping but I really don't want to do it for years! Ps. I just realized you're in upstate NY too! I live in Syracuse :)
    Oh! I'm in Syracuse too! Well, Cazenovia actually.
  • Options
    imageetoyama:
    imageKD+BC:
    imageetoyama:
    imageKD+BC:
    Omg! Small world!
  • Options

imageKD+BC:
    imageetoyama:
    imageKD+BC:
    imageetoyama:
    imageKD+BC:
    Omg! Small world!

Ha! We just moved from Watertown/Ft. Drum in December! (worst time of year to move......)

• Options

imageKD+BC:
    imageetoyama:
    imageKD+BC:
    imageetoyama:
    imageKD+BC:
    Omg! Small world!

No way!  I'm in Syracuse and went to Cazenovia for college!  My daughter is also refusing to sleep at night unless she's being held.

• Options
    Our LO has been doing this lately too.  White noise works awesome!  I just downloaded a free White Noise app on my cell phone and I put my phone in the crib with her.  The app I found has a timer on it too and it does other sounds besides white noise like beach, crickets, clock, fan, etc.
  • Options
    Does she take a paci? I introduced DD #1 to the paci when she was 4 weeks. She could not hold so I just held in it to her mouth till she fell asleep. 
    MY BLOG image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagefinally2006:
    Does she take a paci? I introduced DD #1 to the paci when she was 4 weeks. She could not hold so I just held in it to her mouth till she fell asleep. 

My LO needs a paci and swaddle to fall asleep so maybe that would work?

• Options
    Mine is the exact same way.  Except when she is really sleepy and fighting it I walk her outside (it's pretty cool/cold out now) and she loves it.  It calms her down, she falls asleep in my arms and I wait 15-25 minute before putting her down.  She then will sleep a good 3-5 hours depending on what time of the day.  She just, sadly, needs me to put her to sleep!  I am hoping to break it soon.  The fan that runs in our room helps a lot too...we walk by it with her in our arms and she will go from screaming to silent in a matter of seconds.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    What about warming her spot with a heating pad before putting her down? What about warmer pjs or room temp? It's getting colder at night so maybe she's just cold.
  • Options

Babies go through points where they are growing a ton and also learning a ton and that can make them eat more and also make them more fussy because it's exhausting being a baby and they need to get all that energy out somehow.

Do you swaddle and offer a pacifier? A swaddle can mimic how they feel when they are being held and it keeps them from startling themselves awake with their arms and leg movements.

I know you said she doesn't like the swing but do you have a seat that vibrates?   

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    imagejgarver:

imageKD+BC:
    imageetoyama:
    imageKD+BC:
    imageetoyama:
    imageKD+BC:
    Omg! Small world!

No way!  I'm in Syracuse and went to Cazenovia for college!  My daughter is also refusing to sleep at night unless she's being held.

Haha! Maybe it's a Cuse thing then ;)
  • Options
    Thank you all for the input and advice! I really appreciate it!
  • Options
    Sometimes they just need to cry a little bit. I lay dd down asleep or drowsy and she almost always starts crying 10-15 minutes later. I let her cry for up to five minutes before I go get her. I rarely have to go get her and she sleeps 10 hours a night now. I think sometimes they just need to work off some tension or something, and then they pass out and sleep hard.
  • Options

imagekatiegal:
    Our LO has been doing this lately too.  White noise works awesome!  I just downloaded a free White Noise app on my cell phone and I put my phone in the crib with her.  The app I found has a timer on it too and it does other sounds besides white noise like beach, crickets, clock, fan, etc.

I have the same app. We use it every night.

• Options
    We are going through the same thing right now! We supplement with formula in the evenings, so we switched that to sensitive formula and that seems to have helped. I've also started swaddling her arms down again because she flails them and wakes herself up, and that seems to have helped too. I think it's mostly just trial and error, and waiting for them to grow out of it!
  • Options

For the past week my husband and I have finally hit a stride. 

We had put LO in our bed for the first two weeks, then the next two weeks he was in the pnp. He never slept long and was always fussy.

Lately we have a good bedtime routine that consist of LO going upstairs around 7:30-8 having a bath and then feeding (usually last an hr). After that we go to our room and have youtube playing "12 hours of vaccuming". If LO is screaming and has been fed and changed we swaddle him and put him in his fisher-price rock-n-play.

The swaddling and the rnp are life changers. My son was previously sleeping for two hours and then would wake to eat. He would do this the whole night. Now he sleeps for 5 hours, wakes to eat and then he will sleep 4 more hours until he wakes to eat again.

GL 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"