March 2011 Moms
Options

Sippy Cups & Finger Foods?

per this article he is in the age range but not sure he is ready.  Thoughts?

https://www.babycenter.com/0_sippy-cup-dos-and-donts_1439508.bc

Re: Sippy Cups & Finger Foods?

• Options
    Max has had a sippy cup since he was 4 months old because he never liked his bottles.  I don't believe it's an age thing.  It just depends on the baby.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We do a sippy cup, but she's not too good at it just yet. It's mostly for practice at this point.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our pedi. told us to wait until 9 months for finger foods like puffs or cheerios and solid veggies.  She told us to start trying a sippy cup now with dinner with a little water or juice.  She said he will not be good at it for a while, but for him to get the hang of using one.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

We gave C a sippy cup starting at 5 months, but she doesn't really get anything out of it. Every now and then she figures out how to get a gulp, but for the most part she just chews on the nipple and plays with it. We do water only; no juice until a year old for us. She doesn't need the sugar.

We're not doing finger foods until at least 7m. Once she seems ready, I'll offer her bits of the foods I've been steaming and we'll try puffs. Once she gets the hang of it, we plan to switch to a more BLW-type of feeding.

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options

My LO is super independent and jumps at the chance to do anything herself. We started puffs a few weeks ago and she loved and didn't seem to struggle with it at all. Today i picked up one of these's:

https://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=&skuId=267220&productId=267220&navAction=jump&navCount=3

I put some BM in it and she just loves it. She is still a little confused and the flow is faster than a standard bottle but she loves being able to really hold onto it. I'll probably stick with this for a while till she really gets the hang of it and then move on to more of a standard sippy cup. I have heard that pampers natural stages sippy cups are great too that is actually what i went in to buy but they didn't have it so i decided to try this one. 

• Options
    My daughter will be 7 months on the 15th and she will drink from a real cup believe it or not. She is starting to get a hang of a sippy cup and LOVES puffs!!! She will eat anything you give her lol... I can't believe our babies are 7 months old already.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

At our 6 month appt, our pedi wanted us to start practicing with cups every day so they get used to them.  They get one with water in it at dinner. DD figured it out pretty quickly,  DS is really still just playing with his, although he's getting closer.  We use the Playtex ones. 

As for finger foods, my twins just turned 7 months and we've been doing purees since 4.5 months.  We just started this week with puffs and mum-mums to get them working on self-feeding.  They kept trying to grab the spoon and feed themselves, so we thought they were probably ready.  They LOVE them.  We won't start "real" finger foods until 8 months or so, but this gives them a chance to work on their coordination. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

My pedi told us at his 6 month appointment to start a sippy since he's breastfed and won't take any bottles. She said we can just skip the bottle altogether. We bought him a "Nuk Learner Cup" yesterday. The spout is soft sort of like a bottle's, but it's still a sippy. He's slowly getting the hang of it. 

My son eats those "puffs" and these other things called "lil crunchies". He loves the little garden tomato kind. He doesn't have the pincer grasp down yet, but he certainly knows how to get them in his mouth.

Personally i think it's up to the parent. If you believe your child is ready, he might be. But not always of course. Every baby is different.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We've moved and had to switch pedi's. Our old pedi told us as long as he was eating/drinking there was no problem switching him now{at the time} or later. Now this pedi told us that at 9months to a year was the time to switch. Ive started him at 5 months with just milk at least one time. Now he only drinks his juices and water from it. but little by little we will do the full switch. I think its up. whenever you feel comfortable.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"