Upstate NY Babies
Options

Chronic ear infections:(

B has had several. This last one isn't clearing up and she's on a really strong antibiotic. This antibiotic has made her so sick (diarrhea, no appetite and vomiting). So doctor put her on a sulfur drug for 30 days. I feel like I'm constantly running her to the doctor. It's affecting her hearing right now since she rarely responds unless we talk really loud. Here's my question: Do they grow out of this? Can getting tubes help? Is there anything else I can do to help? She has her ENT appt. in 8 weeks. I'm just frustrated right now. She's miserable.

TTC since 6/2003. m/c 9/14/03 8 weeks, 5 chemical pregnancies, mmc 6/04 12 weeks, Michael born sleeping 5/25/05 at 22weeks always our angel, fought ovarian cancer and won, m/c 4/06 5.2 weeks and 7/07 6.6 weeks,Our Miracle baby girl born 4/8/10,mc 12/18/11 at 5.3 weeks, BFP 10/26/12 dating u/s on 11/8/12 showing a strong heartbeat!EDD July 4,2013. RCS on 6/27. Baby boy in NICU for 8 long and scary days before he was able to come home. We are now a happy family of 4

. imageimage

Re: Chronic ear infections:(

• Options
    I think tubes will help.  I can't remember how many ear infections they have to have in a time period to qualify for tubes.
  • Options

We were constantly fighting ear infections for Claire.  The doc told me how many she needed to have to consider tubes (maybe 3 or 4 in 6 months?).  Whatever it was, we passed it and they kept putting me off.  I finally put my foot down and demanded a referral for a ENT.  Once at the appointment I could tell she had hearing loss  once we had the hearing test and as soon as he reviewed her chart and the hearing test he recommended tubes.  I've said before Claire had a really awful recovery but I believe it was a rare situation and hands down I would get her tubes again in a heartbeat. 

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My friend has two boys and both of them had many ear infections.  They both have tubes and she did it much sooner with the second boy and wished that she had done it sooner with the first...so I assuming that it really helped.  

Evan has never had one, so I am not what if anything you do to prevent them.   

imageimage PHOTO Credit: Meryl :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Charlie was close to needing tubes (kid was always sick!) but we started using chiropractic treatment & EI are very very rare now. He doesn't even go to the chiro all that often now, maybe once every 4 months or so?

I also bought some natural antibiotic ear drops (I think garlic was a main ingredient) at Feel Rite that we would use at the first sign of a sniffle. 

Photobucket
    Charlie 11.01.07 ~ Paul 05.07.10 ~ Annaliese 02.24.12
  • Options

I agree with Kim and am a huge proponent of chiropractic.  We love ours.  But in addition, if you are already noticing some hearing loss, I would be calling a few times a week and seeing if I could get in any sooner to at least get an assessment, whether or not tubes is the route they recommend.

• Options
    DS had 6 ear infections in 10 months.  It was crazy!  Everytime he had a cold, he ended up with an ear infection.  We were referred to an ENT and he had tubes put in at the end of August.  He's just getting over a cold and ::knock on wood::  no ear infection this time!!! 
  • Options
    Tubes should definitely help. Why do you have to wait 8 weeks? If it's apparent that she's demonstrating hearing loss now, why wait 2 months and risk having more damage done?
  • Options

Thanks ladies. I called the ENT and they are getting her in early next week. When the doctor initally made the appt. I guess they didn't consider it "a priority" and just scheduled her in the next available block of time. Phew.

We're also going to try the Chiropractor route. When I asked around several of my friends tried that and it really helped. I'm hoping that it will help. It was just something that would have never occured to me.

B is not talking much yet (couple of words) so I'm really starting to think that it might be due to difficulties hearing.

Does the fun ever end? Sigh.

Thanks so much ladies!

TTC since 6/2003. m/c 9/14/03 8 weeks, 5 chemical pregnancies, mmc 6/04 12 weeks, Michael born sleeping 5/25/05 at 22weeks always our angel, fought ovarian cancer and won, m/c 4/06 5.2 weeks and 7/07 6.6 weeks,Our Miracle baby girl born 4/8/10,mc 12/18/11 at 5.3 weeks, BFP 10/26/12 dating u/s on 11/8/12 showing a strong heartbeat!EDD July 4,2013. RCS on 6/27. Baby boy in NICU for 8 long and scary days before he was able to come home. We are now a happy family of 4

. imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"