Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

vaporizor vs. humidifier

My LO is just 2 weeks old and has been sounding congested. I called our family doc and asked what I could do for his congestion. The nurse said that I can put him in the bathroom with me when I get a shower so he can breathe in the steam. Also a vaporizor or humidifier for in the room will help. But I'm not sure which to get: a vaporizor or humidifier. Currently, we are running our oil heat but when it gets colder we will then start up the wood stove to heat the house. I know that wood stoves dry the air out so we are definitely going to need something to keep moisture in the air.

Has anyone else had this dilema? I don't know the difference between the 2. Plus, there is a cool mist humidifier and a cool mist vaporizor but I don't think that we want a cool mist one.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: vaporizor vs. humidifier

• Options
    I don't know the difference between the two. We have a cool mist vaporizer and DD sleeps so well when she is in her own room with it on. Our bedroom is very stuffy so I try to let her sleep in her own room as much as possible. I would have her in there all the time but she has problems with constipation and gas and has nights where she can't sleep for 1-3 hours because she is uncomfortable/hurting.
    BabyName Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Don't quote me on this, but I believe a vaporizer is more or less something that creates a warm steam, where as the humidifier creates a cool mist. Both help with congestion and colds. I personally have a cool mist humidifier in my LO's bedroom. I think it helps and it seems to make her sleep better. However, with a vaporizer, most of them, if not all of them have reservoirs to put inhalants and things in (like Vicks/menthol) to help your LO breathe better. Be careful as to which you buy. Some require filters, and some don't. Which can be a pain in the butt and very costly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"