Stay at Home Moms

If You Budget... Has your Grocery Budget Amount Gone Up?

Being that there has been such a price increase on groceries, wondering how much other people's budgets have gone up?

Without coupons, I found it pretty easy to stay right at around $100 per week but it seems like lately I am spending more like $130/week.  I haven't actually sat down and increased my budgeted amount yet, though.  What's your spending been like? Obviously some of us are in different cost-of-living areas but wondering what kind of an increase you have seen?  $10/week?  $20?  More? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: If You Budget... Has your Grocery Budget Amount Gone Up?

• It most certainly has gone up and it sucks!

Not quite sure about the amount, though.  I will say, though, that I definitely need to get my butt in gear and check out a meal-planning site.  I know I "waste" money on impulse buy type of stuff like "oh wow, that's a really good deal on a roast".  

One thing that has helped me has been to spend a few hours cooking on a Sunday.  Then our meals are done for the week and it has definitely cut down on our eating out budget, which is nice. 

I've been making it a point to use the stuff I have in my freezer, though instead of making something else for dinner, if that makes sense.  

One of the other things I've been doing to save a little money is getting what I can at the local grocery outlet.  I've been able to get a whole cart's worth of food for just under $100 which has been nice and since its a bit of a drive to get there, I try to make sure I only go once every couple of weeks or so and stock up. 

• Our budget went up about 30 or so percent. I didn't increase the budget I started couponing and have saved 50-60% of our original budget which was around 120-130 per week. I have been able to cut that in 1/2 and still get the fish,meat and produce we like. 
    Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...

• Definitely- but for me it is really hard to tell why/how

especially now because of Chase eating non stop a TON of food- We go through 4 gallons of milk a week- that ALONE is 18.00

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageStacyc625:

Definitely- but for me it is really hard to tell why/how

especially now because of Chase eating non stop a TON of food- We go through 4 gallons of milk a week- that ALONE is 18.00

ITA with this. My DD2 eats an insane amount of food (probably double my 3 year old) -- and both my kids eat about 6 different fruits daily -- although she is just starting to like milk so we only go through 1/2 gallon or organic whole milk and 1/2 gallon of almond milk a week. Can't fathom if we were up to 4 gallons!!!

DD1 7/10/08  DD2 8/11/10  DS 7/2/13

• imageStacyc625:

ITA with this. My DD2 eats an insane amount of food (probably double my 3 year old) -- and both my kids eat about 6 different fruits daily -- although she is just starting to like milk so we only go through 1/2 gallon or organic whole milk and 1/2 gallon of almond milk a week. Can't fathom if we were up to 4 gallons!!!

DD1 7/10/08  DD2 8/11/10  DS 7/2/13

• Yes, but food/groceries is the one area that we don't worry about. We want good food and are willing to pay the price for it.

I'm not a couponer though with my groceries......I do shop the sales, but rarely have a coupon...... 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • My weekly spending on groceries was usually about 130-150 depending on if I needed dog food, and detergent.  My DH and I sat down wed night (we shop on Thursdays) and went through our list.  We have half a cow, and a pig in the freezer, so there was absolutely no reason for us to spending that much a week.  We also have a freezer full of frozen veggies from Grandma's garden, so something had to change.  This week, we went to shop-n-save instead of wal-mart.  We only spent $35 on groceries, but then I had to run to Giant Eagle to get diapers, wipes, and powder (they didn't have it at shop-n-save) and spent another $20.  So I spent $55 this week!!! We were so proud of ourselves! We are gonna try again next week and see how it goes.  My biggest issue is buying the "name brand" stuff. I've had some off brand foods that just taste absolutely awful, so I usually avoid it. Well thats all we bought this trip, and so far so good. It apparently makes a big difference!  I wish we could eat "better" more fresh fruits, maybe some stuff organic, but it's not in the budget so we'll make do with what we can afford for now.  I was very excited we were able to do this, of course next week we'll need dog food, so that's an extra $15.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP-4/3/11 Natural m/c 4/26/11 @ 7wks 3days BFP- 8/3/11 9week u/s no heartbeat, baby measured 8 weeks D&C 9/16/11
  • I know it is not fun.  I have been sticking to my lists every week and meal planning, including lunches this time.  And we are spending about 20/more a week.  I usually can do about 80-100, now we are up to 116-130 a week...not fun!
  • imagekmc217:
    imageStacyc625:

yup- same my kids go through fruit like it is their business- And I am happy about that. They both also tear through veggies. But the milk just blows my mind. It is all Chase- because Gisele might drink a cup MAYBE 2 a day. Chase eats 2x what Gisele does EASILY!! Baffles me-

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagekmc217:
    imageStacyc625:

I have 3 kids and we only go through 3 gallons per week, but my kids drink a lot more water (as they are older)........ 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • We've seen a pretty sizable increase - about 30%. Our grocery budget is ridiculous - we have so many food allergies/sensitivities/celiac in this house that we just end up spending more, even avoiding boxed foods & meal planning, etc. 
  • I'm not really sure because we didn't really pay much attention until more recently.  I think it has probably gone down though since we started a plant based diet.  We don't buy any meat or dairy so that saves a lot.  We do buy more fruits and veggies now so I guess the produce bill went up but I still think we are saving a lot more now.  DS still nurses so that's his only milk.  So I think we're doing pretty well with it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We mainly buy in bulk and preserve it ourselves. We try to buy local as much as possible. We are at the mercy of local seasons. Some things have gone up in price. Other things were a bit cheaper this year and some things remained the same.

Things that went up in price:

cherries: 20% more this year

apples: $2 more per bushel (42 lbs in a bushel)

strawberries: $0.50 more per pound

blueberries: $0.30 more per pound

carrots: 10% more per pound

basil: 10% more

mint: 30% more

raspberries: 30% more

Stayed the same:

peaches, greens, sunflower seeds, summer squash, quinces, pears, milk, pork, beef, beans, parsley, oregano, beets, turnips, plums (although the fruit itself was very small), potatoes, buckwheat, blackberries, watermelon, cantelope, pumpkin, winter squash

Went down:

eggs, corn, tomatoes, eggplant

We do not find out the price of cheese until November. Last year the price of cheese was $2 a pound from Wisconsin. We do not know about cranberries either.

For other grocery items:

sugar went up by $2 for a 25 lb bag

peanuts when up 25%

wheat flour went up 10%

couscous went down 25%

butter is up 40%

spices stayed the same 

rice stayed the same

• I watch the commodity markets a lot for my "when to buy"...  Given the growing conditions this year, a lot of things are going to go up in price.  The other thing I do is keep stats in my head about who has the cheapest of particular items...  Believe it or not, the gas station here owns their own dairy so they're actually cheaper than the grocery store for butter, milk, and OJ statistically.  Then when it comes to meat, learning how to cook the "cheaper" cuts of meat really comes in handy...  Then comes the part that really sucks - so many products have reduced the amount in their package and left the prices the same (oreos are a BIG one for doing this!!)..  The other thing is, sometimes a "sale" isn't!!!  I just had one that had "Yogurt 3 for $1.98" when their regular price is .65 each..  In other words, they're padding a price increase...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm so glad someone posted this. I've been meaning to ask this every week and forget.

I shop usually every Monday and I'm always grumbling the rest of the week about how much stuff is going up. I'm not buying anything different really. I feel like what Stacy said I really can't pinpoint on what is going up other than it's all going up in general.

This really ticks me off. :(   How do people who make minium wage feed their familes? Wages certainly aren't going up to cover this inflation.

One of the managers at the Super Walmart told friends of mine that they went up across the board this summer 4%.

Kevin & Traci May 11, 2006 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • totally.  I usually budget 150 a week, including diapers and household needs, and i'm having a hard time staying on track.  Grocery prices in Canada seem to be higher and we don't have nearly the amount of coupons available as you guys do in the US, but i do try to shop sales, meal plan around flyers, stock up on items.  I need to get more vigilant though, i have been slacking a bit, and i don't want to have to up our food budget again.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"