April 2012 Moms
Options

What's the big rush?

I know this may not be the popular census here, but what's the big rush to find out the baby's gender?  I see so many people rushing to find out at 16, 15 even 14wks, some even throwing major "fits" because their docs refuse to break "procedure" and do the u/s any sooner than 19 wks.  While I get it's an exciting step to find out what you're having, I really don't see what the big rush is or why be so pissed off if you "have" to wait.   

Am I the ONLY one who feels this way?  Is it because I'm team green and not finding out till birth?  Even with DD3 when I knew I'd be finding out I was honestly in no big rush to do so, heck the only reason I even found out was because DH wanted to know and he was deployed at the time.  IDK, maybe I'm just weird, lol.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic image image Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: What's the big rush?

• Options
    I don't know... I think I'll feel more attached when I know the sex and can start using its name.  Plus, it's just exciting!
  • Options
    Speaking of rushing, I'm having an I want to have this baby now kind of night, forget finding out what it is lol.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am excited to know and had to wait until 20 weeks with DD. I can wait until 20 weeks, but if they want to do it sooner I'm not gonna say no. I'm just very impatient and couldn't wait until birth to find out.
    i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • Options
    I would not pay extra money for an additional u/s but as soon as I could find out I will. Probably won't do the NT Scan this time and that is when they guessed w/DS and it was confirmed at 16 weeks for my 1st level 2 u/s.  So I will probably wait until 16 weeks this time.
    Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
  • Options
    I guess it is because I'm team green and, had I had it my way, I'd have been team green with all my children (DD2 was supposed to be a surprise but when I went for my u/s at 25wks the tech told us even after telling her we did NOT want to know and, as I said, with DD3 I only found out for DH) DD1 was a surprise and I never had an issue feeling attached to her. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic image image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I totally agree with you.  The number of unnecessary u/s I've been hearing about is getting annoying.  I guess at least in this case they're paying for it themselves at a for entertainment u/s place.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    My BFP Chart

• Options
    I'm probably the only other person that agrees with you...but we are outnumbered for sure! Get ready for team defense...and a lot of it...
  • Options
    oh, and it's driving me crazy that so many people are "upset" that not only am I not finding out but I'm making them wait! I swear if one more person tries to bribe me into letting them know I'm going to scream!  I know the main reason is because I have 3 girls already and this is our last child so everyone is dying to know if I'm FINALLY having "the boy" but seriously.... what does it matter?!
  • Options

imagekathabus:
    I'm probably the only other person that agrees with you...but we are outnumbered for sure! Get ready for team defense...and a lot of it...

Oh it's not a problem at all!  I'm really not trying to be snide, I'm really just curious into the thought process of WHY the rush! that's all!  And I guess it's true, if you wanna know sooner, don't be pissed at your doc/ins, go pay for it, that's, well, it is what it is, but I can't tell you the number of people throughout the yrs that I've talked to that get PISSED cause their ins wont cover a u/s sooner than 20wks and have admitted to considering faking an issue to get an earlier u/s!  It's NOT THAT SERIOUS!   At the end of the day you will, eventually, know what your baby is... be patient! 

• Options

Well maybe I will feel more attached when I feel the baby move regardless, but right now it feels like knowing the sex would help.

I don't know how people can wait! It's still a surprise, whether it's at 16 weeks or 20 weeks or birth. I am impatient, and I want my surprise as soon as possible! ;-p I'm not going to pay for an extra u/s, though. ETA: or fake an issue.

But I did ask for a totally unnecessary u/s at my OB's office yesterday, and she gave it to me. Sorry!

• Options

I agree with you as well. Perhaps because we are team green, I'm not sure. I LOVE when its a surprise, its so exciting. I'm not starting a debate either, but there is something SO special about hearing it in the delivery room.

I don't understand the NEED to find out earlier. I had an enormous amount of love and connection with DS my entire pregnancy I have a blog full of letters I wrote my baby bear, and the same goes for this little peanut already, the gender has nothing to do with the love and attachment I have for my children. I already say "the kids" to DH when we talk about the future. The moment I knew I was pregnant I felt like a mother to two, maybe I'm crazy! LOL

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm not going to go spend money on an early u/s or anything.  If the doctor wants to do one before I won't object to it.  
    I am excited to find out what it is, mainly so people stop asking.  My mom has already bought both boy and girl clothes, so once I find out I can tell her to stop buying clothes for the opposite sex. 
    And I want to get started on crocheting this blanket and I need to know what colors to go with! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm right there with you. We didn't know with DD. Tried finding out with DS, but I like not knowing better, so we'll be skipping it with #3. Even when we had the tech write it down at our 20 week US, we waited another month to actually open the envelope. I suppose if you are set on finding out, then, the earlier the better?
    Mom to little frog 8/07, Lucky Duck 5/10, & Little Lion 4/12
  • Options

I want to know just because I'm excited and, well, I want to know! :) But, I'll find out whenever they do my gender scan b/w 19-24 weeks. People were irritated because I didn't ask the tech to guess at my NT scan. Hey, I was just excited to see little peep in there wiggling around and that there's a HB. It's not THAT urgent, or accurate at 13weeks. One of my mom's friends is irritated that I'm finding out at all. I'm an OCD planner. This is not the kind of thing I can NOT plan for. It's still a surprise, I just get my surprise before the birth. I totally commend you ladies that can hold out for team green. I can't though. WAY TOO TYPE A!!! Wink

I definitely won't pay to have an early one. I'll have more u/s than most (weekly from 20 weeks on) because of clotting issues. The only thing I hate about waiting 6 more weeks for a gender scan is that I can't check on baby to make sure everything is ok...especially after 2 losses.

• Options
    Oh yeah, plus there's the shopping thing. lol
  • Options
    imageKFCupcake:
    And I want to get started on crocheting this blanket and I need to know what colors to go with! 

THIS TOO!! I can't find any cute gender neutral yarn that I like. I won't start until I know!!

• Options
    I'm just extremely impatient. I'm the type to buy someone a present for Christmas way before December and then just give it to them because I can't wait.
    -------------------------------------
  • Options
    We were team green with dd, but caved at 27wks. This time around I knew we were going to pay and get the early u/s as soon as we got our bfp. It's another exciting moment and we're already waiting 9mths to meet our baby, I don't see what the big deal is with wanting to know as soon as you can?
     BabyFetus Ticker 
                Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagedevious1031:

Am I the ONLY one who feels this way?

Nope. I don't care but my inlaws sure do! They ask constantly when we can find out.
  • Options
    imageKFCupcake:
    I'm not going to go spend money on an early u/s or anything.  If the doctor wants to do one before I won't object to it.  
    I am excited to find out what it is, mainly so people stop asking.  My mom has already bought both boy and girl clothes, so once I find out I can tell her to stop buying clothes for the opposite sex. 

If you want people to stop asking tell them you're not finding out ;)  J/K... my SIL kept trying to bribe me with all this stuff, she finally stopped when I told her if she begged me one more time I'd make everyone (her included) wait  till the baby's a week old before I tell the gender, LOL!  She apologized and hasn't asked since, LOL!  

• Options
    I wouldnt say Im in a rush, so I am not sure the answer...but I am anxious to know! I cant wait to find out, but Im ok with waiting unti the "standard" time to find out. I will feel more connected to him/her and want to have pink or blue clothes and a room ready! I also cant wait to start calling it by its name instead of Baby!Smile
  • Options

nope, I pretty much agree.

We were team green last time and probably will be this time.

I don't see why it's such a terrible thing to wait until your a/s

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Options
    I'm with you on the waiting.
    #1-BFP 08-22-09 ~ M/C 08-31-09 at 5 weeks 6 days
    #2-BFP 08-6-11 ~ Due 04/18 ~ born via c-section April 22, 2012
    My Blog
  • Options

Team green, I've never heard of that, haha!  (I only get on the bump sporadically).  I love it, I'm going to use that! 

I am TOTALLY WITH YOU!  I don't want to know, even though the DH wants to.  No one has bothered me about it yet, thank goodness.  I just really don't like gender stereotyping kids into wearing blue or pink because of their sex and I just really like neutral colors!  I figure once they are born they will get enough 'girl' or 'boy' clothes from friends and relatives.  And if people can't tell if it is a boy or girl since they are wearing neutral colors, who cares?  If they don't know then obviously they are strangers and I don't care about them. 

However, I probably will find out when I have more kids, just because I've heard from other people you might need to know for room arrangements if you don't have a lot of extra bedrooms.  I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Stand your ground if it isn't necessary to know!  4 more months is not that long in the grand scheme.

• Options

I guess I don't understand why people want to wait until the baby is born to know the gender, because they want to be "surprised"...I mean, when you find out the gender at the anatomy scan, isn't that a "surprise" too?  It's not like you know ahead of time what it is, so no matter what time you find out, it's always going to be either blue or pink!  Some people are fine waiting for that surprise for 40 weeks, and some are fine with the 20 weeks.

I'm fine waiting the allotted time until you are able to find out (20 weeks or so), but I don't see the harm if someone is really impatient and wants to find out as soon as possible.  But, I do think throwing a fit and faking an issue is quite ridiculous.  I think once I find out the gender, we'll start thinking about the nursery and I'm sure our family will want to start buying certain color clothes.

• Options
    I know too many people that found out "early" only to find out later that the original result was wrong! Sometimes the parts aren't ready that early to be seen. I can't wait to find out the sex, but I'd rather wait and know for sure.
    ~Lauryn Marette
    Mommy of 3 Angel Babies and one on the way!
    #1 m/c on 7/11/11 at 5w3d
    #2 m/c on 10/6/11 at 10w5d
    #3 m/c on 6/13/12 at 4w0d
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I understand both sides...when I was younger I always thought I'd be team green, because I think there is something super exciting about finding out after 9+ months of anticipation, but being the planner that I am, having the opportunity to plan for a specific sex sold me. DH also always knew he'd want to know before the birth, and that changed my mind as well. We are finding out at almost 18w6d, which is what my OB scheduled me for, and that will also be our first u/s since the NT scan which was 12 weeks, so in addition to the gender I will be excited to just see baby and make sure everything is ok. I feel like we will still be 'surprised' on the day we find out, the build up just won't be as big, which I am ok with. And as PP mentioned, I know there is a chance they could guess wrong, but I am hoping since our u/s is later than early we won't have that problem.
    IMG_0293

Mr. & Mrs. 10/2/10 | Dx w/PCOS March 2011
    BFP - 7/25/11 | EDD 4/3/12 | C-section 2/7/12 @ 32 weeks 
    BFP - 1/07/14 | EDD 9/20/14

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I agree! I'm waiting til at LEAST 20 weeks!
    due april 10th :))
  • Options
    I'll take the bait. I am very impatient to find out and will pay for an optional sex scan at 16 weeks. My reasons: 1) I generally tend to have very little patience and expect things done now, 2) I'd like to know before we see family at Thanksgiving, 3) we'll be on vacation weeks 19-21 and want to be able to bring back something for the kid (not that knowing the sex is necessary to buy stuff, but it will be fun), and - most importantly - 4) I still don't feel connected to this cluster of cells at all and hope that knowing the sex might make it feel more real. I was initially team green until my BFF argued that the birth day will be exciting and surprising enough already, so why not spread out the excitement. I like the way she thinks.
    Belly Dweller: EDD 04/22/2014
    Big Boy: Born 05/2012
  • Options
    Eh, I am an impatient person. As a kid my sister and I used to seek out our hidden Christmas gifts, unwrap them to see what they were, and then carefully re-wrap them, LOL. Never ruined the moment for me on Christmas Day :) I am incredibly antsy to find out if this baby is a boy or girl, way more than I was with DS (probably because this is our last baby). It isn't a question of me being attached to the baby, but just being very Type A. I want to start planning a name (this is HARD for us, so to eliminate one category will be helpful!), start decorating the room, etc, etc etc. I keep seeing adorable boy or girl clothes and I want to know which ones to buy! My anatomy scan is set for 17 weeks exactly, and if baby doesn't show us the goods I will be on the phone with the 3D ultrasound place down the street that day to set up a gender scan, lol.
  • Options

I'm not in a rush to find out, but I do plan on finding out at our A/S IF our little one is cooperating with us (if not I'm not paying out of pocket to try again, so we will be team green then barring the need for another U/S later for a legitimate medical reason). I agree with the sentiment that it is a surprise at 20 weeks as well as at 40. I thought about being team green, but I decided to find out for this one.

What bothers me is when I ask a friend if they are planning on finding out the sex and they answer "we're just so excited to be having a baby that we don't care" because it makes me feel like you think I'm not just as excited to be having a baby because I'm curious and don't mind if they tell me at the same medical procedure you're having (but not finding out the sex at). It could really be a boy or girl for me, I have no real preference this time other than I already know what to expect with girls, so it's not like I will love my baby less if it does/does not have a peen. (sorry not trying to start a debate either, just saying though...)

I will get to find out right before my birthday, so I'm kind of excited about that, but I'm not in a rush to do anything with this pregnancy (besides maybe get to 2nd tri in 2 weeks.. lol)

WDE!!! Pictures, Images and Photos Auburn Pictures, Images and Photos Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    DD1- 12/26/05 DD2- 4/12/12
  • Options
    Like I said, I didn't mean to upset/offend anyone and I was really reffering to those who throw "fits" because they don't get a scan sooner to find out. I know a a girl (recently who's also due in April) that when she found out military ins (tricare) will ONLY pay for a scan at 20wks she threw a HUGE fit! She said it was BS that she NEEDS to know what she's having NOW (she's 13wks) because she NEEDS to plan and how stupid/unfair it was that she'd only get extra scans if she had issues.  I tried to explain to her that it's just how ins worked and how when I had DD1 I didn't even GET a 10wk scan for dating, the ONLY u/s I had was my 20wk and that might not be the way everyone does it now a days but it is the way a lot of people do it. She brought up all the scans I had with DD2 and I explained to her that was because 1-I didn't find out I was preg till almost 8wks and since I was on BC at the time I got preg the doc wanted to make SURE I was where I should've been in the pregnancy, 2-I started having issues and was actually told the pregnancy wouldn't carry, THAT is why I had extra scans, not to find out the gender!    I understand wanting the scan to see your baby and make sure all is well, especially having had 5 losses, I made myself disconnect from this pregnancy till I had that 10w scan and saw it growing on track, saw movement, ect, but I'm not going to be PISSED if I get a 12wk scan and don't get a gender guess like I've seen some women be because I know that at 12wks any guess they give you is just that, a GUESS, and I've seen plenty of u/s's be wrong (even at later dates!).
  • Options

It was actually at my 11 week ultrasound (which was a "peace of mind" ultrasound, but since I am 40 and considered "high risk" for other reasons, I can have as many as my little heat desires--thus far, I have had one additional ultrasound for this pregnancy) that the U/S tech asked us if we were going to find out the gender of the baby and if so, did we want a "clue." I never thought that this was even an option before this (I thought people found out the sex at the 20-week ultrasound, and that was it). 

My fiance and I both want to know, so we said "sure." This hunch was again reiterated by the same tech at our 13-week NT scan (Team Blue).

From my perspective, having a pregnancy loss immediately prior to this pregnancy, yes, I wanted to know. For one, it did help me to connect more to this pregnancy, which is helpful when you're so terrified of losing the baby that you almost in denial about being pregnant again in the first place. And second, again in relation to the earlier loss, I want to know as much about my kid as possible. If I could install a skylight into my uterus, I would. Until that happy day comes when a procedure such as this is available, I will glom as much information as the nice doctors and techs can tell me.

I think it's very much a personal choice--there's no right or wrong answer, and folks should be respectful of each other's decisions. I have two friends that did not find out the sex beforehand, and it was exciting for them to have that moment of surprise at birth. For me, pregnancy has thrown me enough surprises, so I'm happy to meet my (hopefully) son, and have his name, nursery, and as much as I can ready for him.  

Just my two cents. 

Me: 42, DH: 40; Surprise BFP 4/27/2011; no heartbeat at 9w3d, we miss you, Baby Manatee; D&C 6/1/2011; AF returned 6/26/2011; Ready to try for our take-home baby. 7/24/2011--BFP! Peanut born March 2012; BFP: 7/31/2013!; blighted ovum at 7 weeks 8/26/2013. Holy Cannoli! BFP 2/23/2014. EDD 11/6/2014!  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I agree with you, we are team green I personally think it is more exciting that way.
  • Options

If you find out at 20 weeks or 40 weeks it is still a surprise.  It doesn't cost any more money for us to find out at 20 weeks so we are going to find out.  We are organizers and planners and we want to be prepared with everything we need when baby arrives.  Including talking about circumcision and other gender related issues.

We are going to have the Dr. write down what we are having on a piece of paper and we are going to take it to a bakery and have them bake a cake with either blue or pink icing inside.  We are going to have a "cake cutting party" and invite all our family and friends over to find out if we are having a boy or a girl! :) Can't wait!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I just want to know. I can't wait, I don't want to wait until the baby's born. I guess I don't understand the people who do have the patience to wait. I am the type who goes snooping for Christmas presents, always have, always will even in my 30's.

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • Options

DH and I are going to have an extra ultrasound to find out at 16.5 weeks because we are both very excited to find out the gender...I know everyone is different, but for us, knowing the gender will allow us to start calling the baby by name instead of an "it" or "the baby". 

I know that I could wait 3.5 weeks longer, but for us, paying a little extra money to know sooner is well worth it.  Ultimately, we all need to make a decision that fits our individual situations best.  Some people stay team green...others find out at 20 weeks, and some find out a little early....to each their own :)

Photobucket
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary
  • Options
    With regard to paying for an additional peek, elective scans start at $50 where I am. I can justify that because it's less than I usually pay for each night out and will provide much more lasting entertainment for that money.
    Belly Dweller: EDD 04/22/2014
    Big Boy: Born 05/2012
  • Options

I am impatient. We find out at 17w1 day, I don't think that is too early to find out the sex. Plus it is on my birthday and we want to tell we are pregnant at Thanksgiving and tell the sex all in one shot.

Kellen 4.27.12 Miller 6.30.13 Baby #3 edd 9.7.15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"