Stay at Home Moms

how do you peel a tomato?

Why does this seem impossible to me? Im going to a chili cook off tomorrow and Im bringing vegetarian chili. Do you think everyone will hate me? :)
someecards.com - I love the sound you make when you shut up. Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: how do you peel a tomato?

• Ok I am not at all sure if this will help, but I think you can boil them and then drop them in ice water and the peel will come off. Hope someone has more help than this!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageAshl07:
    Ok I am not at all sure if this will help, but I think you can boil them and then drop them in ice water and the peel will come off. Hope someone has more help than this!

Yeah, stick them in boiling water for maybe 30 seconds at the most then shock them in ice water and they should peel easily.  Although, I'm with pp who just buys them in a can lol.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, drop them into boiling water for about 60 seconds. Have an ice bath ready to go. drain the water or scoop them out with a slotted spoon and put them in the ice bath. They should peel easily. Also remember to cut them in half and de-seed them. seeds and nasty. I'd rather the skin be on than the seed be in. :)

• You can blanche them to get the skin off.

Vegetarian Chili is very good! I love me some meat in there, but honestly I've had some really awesome Veggie Chilis. Here's the video that shows you how to blanche the skins off.

How to get Tomato Skins off for use in Sauces etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageEveryNameIWantIsTaken:

imageAshl07:
    Ok I am not at all sure if this will help, but I think you can boil them and then drop them in ice water and the peel will come off. Hope someone has more help than this!

Yeah, stick them in boiling water for maybe 30 seconds at the most then shock them in ice water and they should peel easily.  Although, I'm with pp who just buys them in a can lol.

This.  But before you boil them, Martha Stewart says to put a small x on the bottom with a knife.  It releases the skin so as it boils it will start to curl up  and shrink.  Take them out of the water, ice bath then with the edge of the knife go back to the edge and it should just peel off.   

• imageMc_Newlywed:
    imageEveryNameIWantIsTaken:

imageAshl07:

This.  But before you boil them, Martha Stewart says to put a small x on the bottom with a knife.  It releases the skin so as it boils it will start to curl up  and shrink.  Take them out of the water, ice bath then with the edge of the knife go back to the edge and it should just peel off.   

This. ABSOLUTELY score the tomatoes.....makes getting the skin off a breeze. Also, your tomatoes MUST be on the riper side otherwise you're not getting the skin off. 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • imageCnAmom:

imageMalloryRae:
    I buy them in a can.  :)

LOL me too!  And I can honestly say that peeling tomatoes is not a thought that ever crossed my mind until tonight.

this :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"