High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

How high were your numbers when you started insulin

I am already on insulin after breakfast.  I know I needed it.  No matter what I ate, my hour after was jumping up to 170's 180's.  I have been taking it for about a week and a half.  They instructed me to call if and let them know if any of my other numbers were greater than 130 1 hour after meals two times.  Well, I have had three go over since tuesday.  Two after lunch (147, 134) and one after breakfast 138).  Now they want me to start insulin at lunch.  I really didn't want to have to do that.  Does that sound right for two numbers that were slightly off?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How high were your numbers when you started insulin

• Options

Hi there,

I am a Type I diabetic, so my case is a little different than yours (I'm assuming you are gestational?), but that sounds about right to me.  I am only about 7 weeks right now, but my insulin intake doubled in the first 3 weeks.  They said that was unusual, but that everyone responds differently.  The reason they are concerned is mainly because after sugars reach that 170 mark, it is considered "toxic" (my endocrinologist's word).  It is best to get it down as quickly as possible to avoid reaching that point.

I've been having lots of trouble.  My sugars were ranging from 23--which is dangerously low, pregnant or not--to 325 when I first got pregnant.  They are still crazy, but much better now.  I'm usually in very tight control, so it's difficult to have them so all over the place.  It's been improving, though, and if you have a good doctor they will watch you closely and fix the problem.

Have you been to a nutritionist?  There are specific meal plans for gestational diabetics that are created for the purpose of keeping sugars down and insulin intake low.

Best wishes for a happy and safe pregnancy!

Jessica

• Options
    Thanks.  I saw a nurse who went over the diet with me and I have been following it strictly.  But even then it goes up.  I have figured out that I can't even eat some of the foods they told me to eat, or it goes up.  Best wishes to you too!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"