TTC After a Loss

Super conflicting message

So today I saw a rheumatalogist for some other fun issues I have going on, and I informed the Dr. that DH and I are TTC so I didn't want to be put on any medication that could jeaoprodize that. He wants me to take naproxen, which is aleve. He told me it is perfectly safe to take while ttc all the way through to the beging of the third trimester. He said after the third trimester I'd want to stop. I thought that was a huge no-no. He said there is truely no clinical evidence that naproxen is linked to m/c. I just don't know what to think now.
~Birthmother to My little Liddybug 3/9/04~ ~Step-mom to Jack (6)~ BFP #1 1/4/11 Missed m/c at 8wks/1day 2/10/11 D&C 2/11/11 ~ BFP #2 10/4/11 *Stick baby, stick!*~ My BFP Chart. Daisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket BabyName Ticker

Re: Super conflicting message

• Naproxen is an NSAID like Advil/Ibuprofen, right?  My old OB who I saw for a preconception visit told me I could keep taking Advil all the way up through the third trimester once we got pregnant.  She said the reason they tell people not to take it is because they think women will get in the habit or forget about it and forget to STOP taking it before the third tri, but that is the only time when it is really potentially harmful.  Now, that being said, I still stick to Tylenol only during the 2WW and while I was pregnant.  But if I had a serious pain issue, and an NSAID like naproxen was the only thing that helped me, I might feel differently about it.  I hope that helps!  It sucks how there are so many conflicting messages out there about everything TTC.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would probably ask your OB what he/she thinks about that. In your case the benefit might outweigh the risk, but I would still want my OB to be aware.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Congrats to both my TTC buddies, Amberley18 and sb2006 on their beautiful babies!
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm literally afraid of anything except Tylenol and I even saw a story the other day on the nightly news talking about how medicines like ibuprofen can cause more bleeding or thinning of blood they have recently been linked to higher rates of MC.  SO...although I'm not sure any of it's true, I just can't knowingly do anything that might put me at a higher risk for MC.  I suffer from a ruptured disc in my back and have ongoing pain from it, but I just have to use ice, electrical stimulation and PT instead of pain relief medication.  Sorry for the long response..basically I would ask the OB and check around a little more!  Sometimes the benefits do outweigh the risks...every situation is different!
  • imagetdmd09:
    I would probably ask your OB what he/she thinks about that. In your case the benefit might outweigh the risk, but I would still want my OB to be aware.

This.  Generally speaking, rheumatologists probably aren't as up to date on this type of research as your OB probably is.

• This was actually recently in the news... there is increasing information that links NSAIDs to m/c. https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44393864/ns/health-pregnancy/t/miscarriage-risk-doubles-use-anti-inflammatory-drugs/ 

Not sure of your diagnosis or other treatment options, but I would avoid it, if possible.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    IMG_0173.11
    Trying for #2 since July 2010
    BFP 8/1/10, missed m/c, D&C 9/15/10.
    BFP 1/8/11, chemical pregnancy.
    BFP 3/4/11, measured behind all along, no more HB 4/18/11. D&C 4/29/11. HCG didn't drop, Repeat D&C 6/17/11; confirmed molar pregnancy 6/23/11.
    Forced break, including two Hysteroscopies in October to remove retained tissue.
    BFP 12/29/11! Betas @ 10 dpo = 85, 14 dpo= 498, 22 dpo = 7242
    Heard HB 1/24/12. 144 bpm!

Luca Rose born 9/9/12! More than worth the wait!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I guess it's something I should bring up with my OB. My rheumatologist is supposedley one of the best on So Cal, has won all kinds of prestigious awards and he has awesome be side manner which is hard to come by. When I asked him about that recent study with NSAID use he said there was actually no signifcant clinical data. When I mentioned to him about my m/c he was probably the most compassionate doctor I've had yet. He said just this week he has treated three pregnant ladies who are all taking NSAID's and are having perfectly healthy pregnancies. But like most of you mentioned, as soon as I do get a BFP (fx crossed) I'll be sure to see my OB and make sure it's ok with her ASAP. I just hate getting mixed messages. I'm sure we're all on the same boat with wanting to make the best, healthiest choices for ourselves during this time.
    ~Birthmother to My little Liddybug 3/9/04~ ~Step-mom to Jack (6)~ BFP #1 1/4/11 Missed m/c at 8wks/1day 2/10/11 D&C 2/11/11 ~ BFP #2 10/4/11 *Stick baby, stick!*~ My BFP Chart. Daisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket BabyName Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"