September 2011 Moms
Options

vent - family visiting already...kinda long

leota was born sept 15 and we just got home with her on wednesday (spent two weeks basically living at the hospital). we were there for so long because she had seizures and had to be admitted to the PICU at the local children's hospital. thank god, they figured out how to control them and we came home about a week later :)

so the original plan for this weekend was for just my folks to come visit us (they live 1.5 hours away) until my grandma and aunt found out and decided to invite themselves over as well! at first i didn't have any issues with this, but after talking to my DH about it and thinking about it, we both decided we just don't want extended family over right now. we're trying to get a normal schedule again and just adjusting to everything in general. we've been really stressed since we got home because it's been so hard to get her medicine and find a new pediatrician. also, they both had the balls to ask if DH is an alcoholic because his breath smelled funky when they saw us in the hospital!! are you kidding me?! we'd been in the hospital for over a week by this point, it's expected to not smell the best. needless to say, when my mom told grandma and aunt we don't want any visitors right now, they got hurt/upset. to the point where my dad called to try and guilt trip me, saying how "it hurts the whole family" and "i need think about what i decided ". i did think about it and i don't want any extended family at my house right now. all they'll do is judge us because the house is a mess and we have two bigger dogs (about 40 lbs each) and a bunch of other stuff i can't even name right now. and now my mom isn't going to come over because she'll feel bad if she does. ugh...i mean, it's nothing personal per-se towards them, we just don't want them over right now. and it really hurt my feelings that a) they asked about DH being an alcoholic and b) my parents don't understand WHY it hurts. 

is anyone on my side with this? i don't see what's so wrong with not wanting extended family over right now. we would do the same thing to DH's family. and it's not like they've never met the baby before, they both saw us twice while we were in the hospital with her.  

image image
Photobucket
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: vent - family visiting already...kinda long

• Options
    I don't think you're out of line at all. I think I would feel the same way. Especially since they *have* met the baby already.
  • Options

I'm sorry. It is one of my biggest pet peeves when people make a new baby about them when it is about the mom, dad and baby only! I have been home 2 weeks now with our son and I am annoyed by the "so how about I come over xyz" and those are just short visits, but trying to adjust to this new life is hard!

you did the right thing, stay strong. not your fault they cannot realize it.

336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"