March 2012 Moms

s/o MP and 2nd time moms

Anyone want to share some other parts about pregnancy that no one seems to talk about?

Mine is that after you have the baby (mind you I know nothing about c-sections), they fill a diaper with ice for you to essentially wear in your underwear... and line it with Tucks pads.  And you refill it often.  So if you're planning on CD-ing, I'd still buy some newborn diapers for yourself! 

Re: s/o MP and 2nd time moms

• That is absolutely terrifying!
    Pregnancy Ticker

M/C #2 - October 2016
    MMC #1 - April 2016

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I was lurking on the October 2011 board and really wanted to post replies to some of the questions so I will say it here instead.

I'm one of those few people whose water broke. HOWEVER, it was not a gush. It did not continue to trickle afterwards. I woke up with my hand on my crotch because I guess I knew I was wet. My panties were soaked, but the mattress wasn't. I was very confused because I thought is was suppose to be this huge amount of liquid. I went to the bathroom and I had a very light pinkish brown tinge when I wiped. So I knew it was probably my water and not just pee. (I did other tests to see if it was pee too)

Anyways. The point of this story is that my water "sprung a leak" instead of fully breaking. I had to be induced because it still is considered to be broken at that point and then they fully broke it. I just wanted to share because my same story was happening to a girl on the Oct board and she wasn't sure if it was her water or not since it didn't follow the typical water breaking stories she'd heard. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • imagea2003tiger:
    That is absolutely terrifying!

Actually the ice diaper is amazing...  

• This seems like as good of a time as any for the pooping to be brought up. I'm a FTM but I've already been told to pretty much expect to poop at the hospital (unless you give yourself an enema). And during transition, expect to vomit and shake. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ditto the overnight maxi pads. The GIANT pads from the hospital in the mesh stretchy panties are all I wanted to wear the first 48 hours...

Ditto vomiting and shaking from the pain during transition . And being naked and on all fours in front of the young cute OB resident but not caring. And then pooping while he is staring at my girl parts and not caring.

- when your cervix starts to dilate as your body prepares and your OB sees this in your later 3rd tri exams, he may manually 'strip your membranes' (google it) to get things going. Its a little uncomfortable and doesn't work for all, but it worked for me!

Don't be scared! I know this looks horrifying when written on paper, but the instant I held my daughter I felt no pain and didn't care about anything. It was purely euphoric bliss.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've learned that this isn't the place to relive the whole childbirth thing, because first time moms get a little scared :)  BUT, the ice diaper was a total shock!  Tucks pads were a lifesaver.  Your lady parts will never have as much attention as when you're in labor and just after.  This sounds obvious, but you won't believe it!  While you're in active labor the nurse gives your vagina a massage to try to stretch it or something (lol, I don't even know why she was down there rubbing my most private areas!), for, like, the whole time!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Also, you lose all sense of modesty when you are that far into labor.  You don't care if you poop on the table or your water breaks all over the nurse's feet.  You just want to get the baby out RIGHT NOW.  
  • imagemooshagirl:
    Having a baby makes you really, really constipated! That first BM after delivery was so much more painful than pushing DD out. I will not be leaving the hospital without a prescription for a stool softener this time!

The nurses recommended Milk of Magnesia to help with this.  DO NOT take it unless you need it.  I was home for a day and figured it was about time so took some.  I had a very messy accident all over the floor.  Thank god my mom was there.   

And one more thing- DH still laughs that what was hanging out of me after DD came out, before the after birth came out was like a scene from a zombie movie.  They will put the placenta in a little tub and show it to you if you want to see it (I was curious).   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLGLDVM:

Can someone explain to me what 'transition' is?  I feel dumb asking, but it doesn't sound fun.  Is that like crowning?

No, transition is the time between 8-ish centimeters and being ready to push.  It's when a lot of people ask for an epidural.

And on the zombie thing, my husband still talks about the blood, though I wouldn't know if he didn't say anything.  All I remember after having K was that the midwife told me that I needed to push the placenta out, and I looked at her like she was absolutely crazy.  I had pushed for 3 hours, and I was DONE pushing.  

• It sounds like a lot of you are talking about giving birth and not having an epi "(like losing all modesty, not caring about whats going on, etc). Is this true if you get an epi as soon as you can and not let it wear off until everything out? Cause that's what I'm planning on doing! I feel like since I will be numb I will totally still care about whats going on around me since I won't be in so much pain lol. Can someone enlighten me??

Also, who used a sitz bath? What is it and how does it work? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicTTC #1 since April '11.- BFP 7/3/11! - EDD 3/13/12 - Dean born 3/15/12! - Lovely Labor Buddies with PsychGirl33!! <3 </br> Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The squirty bottle with warm water was heavenly.  So was the "epi-foam" they gave me. 

They give you a stool softener after you deliver.  So helpful.

I had an epi, and no, I didn't get out of bed on my own until 8-10 hrs after I delivered.  When they moved me from L&D to the PP floor, my nurse helped me into the wheelchair, gave me DS, and then helped me into bed on the PP floor.  I delivered at 3:43 am.  At 8 AM, I had to pee and the nurse helped me to the bathroom.  Once I got the epi, they used a catheter to empty my bladder. 

The worst part was that I tore during labor and was given an episiotomy.  Once all of that healed, I could still feel the issues when I crouched down.  As it turns out, I tore some tendons down there.  It took a long time for that to heal, but it did.  But I think I felt it for a good 18-24 mos.  That said, when I had a quick exam at the start of this pregnancy, my OB had to double check my chart to see if I tore or not- apparently I had healed *that* well. 

So, I guess my point is, yes, these things happen but once you recover, things do heal.  You have to remember that it took 9 mos to "bake" the baby, and it takes your body 8+ mos to recover.  I felt more like I was back to my old self physically about 7-8 mos pp. 

• I didnt know what a mess it would be when I first stood up after birth. Seriously. I had the throw-away pads between my legs and with the help of my nurse walked to the bathroom. Even still, there was like a puddle of blood and fluid at my feet. I did not have a ice diaper, but the mesh panties and the giant pads are so clutch.
    image        image
  • imagenonasimonsen:

Oh and the fact that it is perfectly normal for your body to be in "shock" after birth and not be able to pee. I sat on the toilet for FIVE hours after giving birth from 3 am to 8 am Trying so hard to pee. I stood in the shower, drank tea, and NOTHING even tho my bladder was so full. Finally after being in so much pain from birth and bladder being so full I had to get a catheter (sp?) put in. So I had a diaper of ice between my legs, a cathater in me, and my baby was next to me but I couldnt get up to get him. For a full 24 hrs after birth I could not pee on my own and finally peed on my own about an hour before discharge time.

I had the opposite experience - a few hours after birth I got up to go pee and wound up peeing all over the floor of the bathroom (in the hospital). I was so embarrassed I cleaned it all up myself without calling for any help from the nurses. I had ZERO bladder control. Fortunately that corrected itself.

I have never told anyone that story!  

DS 04.25.08 DS 03.14.12 missed m/c 9w1d :: 6.18.10 :: d&c | missed m/c 9w3d :: 11.2.10 :: d&c
  • I thought of another one. No one ever told me that while pushing, you may break some blood vessels in your face. After I'd been hanging out and seeing people and taking pics for 3 hours, I was able to get up and go to the bathroom and get in the shower. When I looked in the mirror, I was shocked. Not once had anyone said to me, "Oh you are a little splotchy now." I broke a bunch of wee little capillaries and had little red dots on my face. I was actually pretty pissed that no one had mentioned it to me. 
    image        image
  • imagekmhunt11:
    I've learned that this isn't the place to relive the whole childbirth thing, because first time moms get a little scared :) !

I may or may not be hyperventilating a bit reading these posts! Tongue Tied    No I seriously thank you ladies because no one, even close family and friends, talk about this stuff b/c it isn't the "fun, cute" stuff!   Although I think I'll keep this information to myself and let my poor DH find out the hard way, so he doesn't panic for the next 4 1/2 months!

• imageSheenaNash1:

It sounds like a lot of you are talking about giving birth and not having an epi "(like losing all modesty, not caring about whats going on, etc). Is this true if you get an epi as soon as you can and not let it wear off until everything out? Cause that's what I'm planning on doing! I feel like since I will be numb I will totally still care about whats going on around me since I won't be in so much pain lol. Can someone enlighten me??

I was wondering the same thing about the epi.. I feel like most of the symptoms described esp those of which that happen during transition are what happens when you're going natural not when you have an epi... from what I've heard, not because I have any clue!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• 1- Never had the ice diaper after giving birth. Just the mesh panties and the ginormous maxi pads. I know a lot of moms LOVED the dermoplast they give you (spray-on stuff that helps with the vaginal pain) and the peri bottle, but I never used either. I used the dermoplast in the hospital hoping it would help, but it burned and I always ended up inhaling a bunch. :

2- DO NOT WIPE if you tear during delivery! Hellfirebrimstonevag if you do. Seriously- I forgot and made that mistake ONCE. About 5 days afterward (depending on the severity of the tear) you can wipe gently.

3- Your body feels alien and jiggly after having LO. The sensation was so off-setting to me that it made me horribly nauseous and I was barely able to eat until nearly a week PP.

4- I actually bought Women's Depends for the PP bleeding. I felt stoopidashell wearing them, but it was seriously so.much.easier. than dealing with pads. Still have half the pack and intend to use those this time around.

5- I totally second (or third, or fourth) whomever mentioned stool softeners. Pack some in your hospital bag along with your PNV so you can keep them in your system at all times. It's that serious!

• I really didn't want to scare people, but I truly had NO ONE tell me about some of this stuff, and it was a total shocker when the nurses brought me an ice pack to stick between my legs.  We also had to go buy Tucks pads once we got home, and I wished we had known to have some on hand.   

I had an epi placed when I was during transition I guess (I was stuck at a 6 and really wanted to sleep).  I literally had it for 10 minutes so felt a lot, but honestly the fatigue of pushing for 3 hours was worse than the pain.  I don't think the pain after the birth is any better with or without the epi, and to me that was the most unexpected.  People talk about the birth experience and forget to mention anything that happens after.   

• imageLGLDVM:

The only think I know that people don't talk about much is that if you get a c/s, you will shake uncontrollably when they take the baby out. Don't ask me why, but it happens to everyone.

I don't remember shaking with mine... I know I got really sick after DD1's though.  

Can I just say that these vaginal delivery stories are making me feel a little bit better about my c/s? Ice diapers??

I experienced the indifference to the lack of modesty and absolute LOVE for those cotton mesh panties.

• imageBabycakes29:
    imageSheenaNash1:

It sounds like a lot of you are talking about giving birth and not having an epi "(like losing all modesty, not caring about whats going on, etc). Is this true if you get an epi as soon as you can and not let it wear off until everything out? Cause that's what I'm planning on doing! I feel like since I will be numb I will totally still care about whats going on around me since I won't be in so much pain lol. Can someone enlighten me??

I was wondering the same thing about the epi.. I feel like most of the symptoms described esp those of which that happen during transition are what happens when you're going natural not when you have an epi... from what I've heard, not because I have any clue!

I had an epi very early on because I was immediately put on pitocin and my doctor felt there was no point in torturing myself with psychotic contractions for 20 hours (my water had broken but I did not go into labor). Although I couldn't feel the contractions, I still puked 6x during transition and was shaking and all the rest.

Sitz bath is almost like a portable bidet you can use to kind of hose off your very sensitive undercarriage after labor. I had one but never got around to using it. Might as well as for it in the hospital, though, because if you go buy one after it's like $20 for a piece of plastic. I used the peri bottle and dermaplast others mentioned. And of course the tucks pads and stool softener everyone else has mentioned.  

DS 04.25.08 DS 03.14.12 missed m/c 9w1d :: 6.18.10 :: d&c | missed m/c 9w3d :: 11.2.10 :: d&c
  • imagenonasimonsen:
    imagemrs.gee:
    imagenonasimonsen:

Oh and the fact that it is perfectly normal for your body to be in "shock" after birth and not be able to pee. I sat on the toilet for FIVE hours after giving birth from 3 am to 8 am Trying so hard to pee. I stood in the shower, drank tea, and NOTHING even tho my bladder was so full. Finally after being in so much pain from birth and bladder being so full I had to get a catheter (sp?) put in. So I had a diaper of ice between my legs, a cathater in me, and my baby was next to me but I couldnt get up to get him. For a full 24 hrs after birth I could not pee on my own and finally peed on my own about an hour before discharge time.

I had the opposite experience - a few hours after birth I got up to go pee and wound up peeing all over the floor of the bathroom (in the hospital). I was so embarrassed I cleaned it all up myself without calling for any help from the nurses. I had ZERO bladder control. Fortunately that corrected itself.

I have never told anyone that story!  

I am truely and honestly jealous of you peeing yourself! I never in a million year would wish that I could have peed myself after giving birth, but if I had the pain would have gone away. Also now anytime I hear the word cathater (sp?) I get creepy chills like bugs are on me and I need to itch everywhere. Im seriously terrified of that thing and praying that I pee myself this next time and no cathater!!!!!

Sending you lots of wet-your-pants vibes Smile

• imagenonasimonsen:

imageMcGibbon51311:
    This seems like as good of a time as any for the pooping to be brought up. I'm a FTM but I've already been told to pretty much expect to poop at the hospital (unless you give yourself an enema). And during transition, expect to vomit and shake. 

I got an epidural so I have no clue if I pooped on my doctor or not....and I did not ask.

Also I just thought I would share: I didnt even know my placenta had come out. The pediatrician had DS getting his APGAR and weight/height etc in the corner of the room and I was so busy craining my neck to look for him that when I looked back down at my doc to see if I needed to push out my placenta he said, "No I have it right here. Want to see?" I said, "No I just want DS!!!"

Oh and FYI the epi is great for those of us who rip/tear/and get an episiotimy (sp?) during child birth. My son was almost 10lbs and I was told after I gave birth and DS was getting cleaned up that I was currently being stiched up for my 3rd degree tear and epsiotimy. I was like, "Oh...thanks for telling me." I honestly didnt feel a thing! I will be getting an epi this next time too!! And you will heal so dont worry! We DTD at 3 weeks PP with only minor pain and my 6 weeks I was perfect and all healed and no scars.

FWIW- I didn't have an epi and I couldn't tell I pooped- my husband told me he saw the nurses cleaning it up (God Bless them). And also, once DD slid out, I did not feel anything as far as delivering the placenta and being stitched up (I tore in 3 places. DD wasn't huge, but she came out fast with one arm at her face). They give you a quick local numbing agent, which helps. The natural endorphins(sp?) helped a lot!

Also  to help all the mommies to be who we have terrified...all the "grossness" aside, I totally felt like a Goddess after giving birth. I felt like I could take on the world and do anything. You can do it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"