Parenting after a Loss
Options

what happens when he starts to roll over!?

Last night after a 3am feeding I put C back into his crib and sat in the rocker for a moment to watch him.  He was moving his arms and kicking his legs and he almost rolled over for the first time,

What happens when he learns to roll over in his crib at first and what if he gets stuck on his tummy?  I'm of course worried about suffocation.  He's doing alright with his neck muscles (as in he can lift his head and neck during tummy time We have a video monitor, I don't want to obsessively watch it at night. We do have a breathable bumper so I'm not worried about that..

I don't usually obsess about this stuff, but I'm kind of worried about this.  Anyone have any advice on this?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

bfp 01/23/10 m/c 12w1d 03/14/10 EDD 09/24/10
bfp 07/20/10 m/c 5w1d 07/25/10
bfp 11/19/10 Born 07/24/11 via C/S

My Forever Sister From Another Mister~CashewsMommy!!

Re: what happens when he starts to roll over!?

• Options
    I think most babies roll belly to back first and then back to belly. Once they can roll both ways you don't have to worry about it anymore.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options

ditto pepomntmat

B definitely figured out belly to back first. She was delighted since it meant I could no longer inflict tummy time torture on her.

BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    OK, im sure he'll be fine, it just kind of took me by suprise (the rolling!)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

bfp 01/23/10 m/c 12w1d 03/14/10 EDD 09/24/10
    bfp 07/20/10 m/c 5w1d 07/25/10
    bfp 11/19/10 Born 07/24/11 via C/S

My Forever Sister From Another Mister~CashewsMommy!!

• Options

Not to scare you, but once he learns how to roll, you will probably not sleep for a few nights!  DD learned how to roll from back to belly first (and actually never rolled from belly to back, ever).  When she rolled, she would get stuck on her belly and scream. Eventually she just learned to sleep on her belly.  You don't really have to worry about suffocation because once they can roll they have enough neck control to turn their head and avoid that.  

• Options

Isaac only did back to belly for the longest time (5-6 weeks+).  He would NOT roll belly to back, which is easier.  So, he would flip over on his belly to sleep (scaring me to death) around 4.5 months, and he would sleep like that.  His head was strong enough to move back and forth so he could situate, he just would not roll back to his back.  He eventually became a belly sleeper and as of now has not slept on his back since 4.5 months.  He learned belly to back around 6 months.  He's a backward child.

As long as there's nothing in there to suffocate him you just have to go with it.  Do you have a video monitor?  I would wake up and look at him a million times per night.  ((HUGS)) It's scary for sure, but it's definitely normal.

Twin boys born too early at 17w4d and 18w2d in February 2010
    Transabdominal cerclage placed September 2010
    DS born at 35w1d in February 2011
    Twin girls born at exactly 36w in February 2013
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Big Smile
    imageScout2005:

Once they start rolling, they are in theory strong enough to not suffocate.

Cami started rolling over the second we put her on her back a few weeks ago. I was super nervous about it, but she just turns her head and sleeps that way. For about  a week she would wake up disoriented, and I would go turn her over, but I quickly realized that neither of us was getting good sleep with me doing that.

She now sleeps on her tummy, even though I always put her down on her back. I did call the pedi to ask about it - and he is a zealous "back to sleep"er for newborns - and he said that once they start rolling, there's nothing you can do about it. Keep the crib completely clear of blankets/stuffed animals/etc., and they'll be fine.

We do have an angelcare breathing monitor, and that gives me a LOT of peace of mind.

All of this but especially the bold part!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Amelia learned to roll from her back to belly first, and exactly 3mo.  Since then she will only sleep on her belly.  The second I lay her down she rolls over and falls asleep.  It was nerve racking at first, but she's done fine.
    ***** TTCAL/Forever Buddy to Cour10e******
    -m/c at 11w2d due to partial molar 2008 -m/c #2 2009
    Beautiful daughter born February 2011
    **Ultimate TTCALer 2009**

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"