Breastfeeding

what are you using for birth control while BFing?

I hate the thought of taking any meds while preg or BFing, and although I think we are done after twins are born, Im not 100%, may want one more LO down the road a bit. We had luck with the rythym method for a year and a half but then once we started to actually try it took a year to become preg so maybe Im just not that fertile lol anyhow just looking into ideas and options from those of you who are already in that boat< TIA
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: what are you using for birth control while BFing?

• After my daughter I used mirena but I packed on 20lbs from it (as soon as it was removed I lost 20+ bs after getting pg without morning sickness or diet change) assume water weight.. anyway thanks to that im getting the copper IUD no hormones lasts for 10 ears..works for me.. I wamted a tubal but my ob denied due to my age (under 25) nd I can barely remember my prenatals.. so pills are out iud is the only option!
  • We're using condoms only. I don't want to take any meds that could affect my BM supply or potentially affect my daughter.
  • Loading the player...
  • condoms. sometimes pull & pray. ?:)
           I am convinced that coffee is God's gift to mothers.

BabyFruit Ticker       
    **  DD-5.30.11 ** DS-1.15.13 ** #3 EDD - 9.4.14 ** 

• I'm also going to get the copper IUD without hormones.  I was told that the only forms of BC while BF are the mini pill or an IUD.  I like the copper one because there are no hormones.  Hormonal BC gives me migraines. 
  • Abstinence Wink Eventually condoms if the thought of sex ever stops making me panic.
  • thanks ladies, so far in my head I have been thinking condoms even though Im sure DH will not be happy, its not him that would have to be pregnant again so soon LOL I didn't know there was an IUD w/o hormones so if condoms dont work out I guess I could look into that it just seems too semi permanant. If we do want to try again in a year I want it to be an easy thing, not to have to go have something removed, plus sounds painful! lol 
  • Condoms.

This isn't a huge deal. Unless you want another LO very soon, I don't see the point in torturing yourself over birth control.

• We're using FAM and condoms when necessary.  Although we aren't as conservative as we should be.  Sometimes there's a lot of praying but that is due to user error not BC fail.

I tried the mini pill but it tanked my supply.  I love not being on hormones and plan to use FAM forever.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

• I have the copper IUD and love it. However, I haven't had my first PP period yet and I've heard it can be a little, um, intense with Paragard. But right now this method is perfect.
  • imageNechie122:
    I have the copper IUD and love it. However, I haven't had my first PP period yet and I've heard it can be a little, um, intense with Paragard. But right now this method is perfect.
    This, exactly.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • This is on my mind a lot these days. My LO is almost 4 weeks old, and I'll be going to the OB for my postpartum check up in a few weeks. She mentioned at the hospital that at this appointment we will discuss bc options.

I had a nearly-fatal ectopic pregnancy years ago, and some bc options are not ok for me. And since I am BF'ing, I don't want to take anything with hormones. But I'm not really sure what the risks are with those, so I'm definitely going to talk to my doctor about it.

We may just do condoms for awhile until we figure it all out. I'd love to do charting but my routine isn't... routine enough for that. I don't get up at the same time every day, etc. Not sure if BF'ing interferes with that anyway.

So to sum up... not sure what our plan is yet! lol

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"