Baby Names
Options

Aurelia, Felicity & Matilda

Hello, ladies! I'm wanting some input on these names.

Aurelia- I love the name, but I am concerned about people butchering the pronounciation. I pronounce it Aw-Reh-Lee-Ah, but I have heard it Aw-Reel-Yah. Sooo, how would you pronounce it? And what do you generally think of it?

Felicity & Matilda, what do you guys think of the names? I do not mind the 90's T.V. show reference or the book connection. In fact, that would be why Matilda would be chosen since it's my favorite book.

Any middle name suggestions for these 3 names? (No Grace, Marie or "filler" middle names please!)

Thanks a lot! I always love the feedback. Let's hear it!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Aurelia, Felicity & Matilda

• Options

I dont care for any of them.. but if I had to pick it would be Aurelia, and I do think people would have a problem pronouncing it-sorry

• Options
    imageycristina84:

Hello, ladies! I'm wanting some input on these names.

Aurelia- I love the name, but I am concerned about people butchering the pronounciation. I pronounce it Aw-Reh-Lee-Ah, but I have heard it Aw-Reel-Yah. Sooo, how would you pronounce it? And what do you generally think of it?

Felicity & Matilda, what do you guys think of the names? I do not mind the 90's T.V. show reference or the book connection. In fact, that would be why Matilda would be chosen since it's my favorite book.

Any middle name suggestions for these 3 names? (No Grace, Marie or "filler" middle names please!)

Thanks a lot! I always love the feedback. Let's hear it!

Love love Matilda!!! Dh hates it though.  I loved the book/movie.  I like Felicity too.  Not a fan or Aurelia.

I wanted to name a daughter Matilda Carys (Ka-reece) but it's off the table now. I also liked Matilda Jane.

Felicity Alison

Felicity Claire

R&K married 4.15.11. TTC #1 since 7.11.12

BFP #1 9.9.12 EDD 5.21.13 c/p 9.12.12 at 4 weeks 1 day

BFP #2 10.15.12 EDD 6.28.13 c/p 10.19.12 at  4 weeks.

BFP #3 1.19.13 EDD 10.1.13 Eleanor born 10.7.13 at 40 weeks 6 days

13dpo hcg@32, progesterone@13.7, 15dpo hcg@110, 16dpo progesterone@25.9

My blog:Urban Times in Michigan ~ My Bfp Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I really love Felicity!  Aurelia is nice, but seems kind of fru-fru.  Matilda is also nice, I like the nick name Mattie.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I don't really like any of those names but if I had to pick, I guess it would be Felicity. Actually as I think about these, Matilda isn't too bad. I wouldn't use Jane as a mn though since Matilda Jane is a children's clothing line/company.

I don't really get the whole "filler" comment. My dd's mn is Anne and I guess that's considered one but we used it because it's his grandmother's name and my mother & sister's mn. What consistutes a "filler" name? Aren't random suggestions from strangers considered "filler" names since they have no meaning to you or your dh? Just wondering. (not meant to be snarky)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageMandyWes:

I don't really like any of those names but if I had to pick, I guess it would be Felicity. Actually as I think about these, Matilda isn't too bad. I wouldn't use Jane as a mn though since Matilda Jane is a children's clothing line/company.

I don't really get the whole "filler" comment. My dd's mn is Anne and I guess that's considered one but we used it because it's his grandmother's name and my mother & sister's mn. What consistutes a "filler" name? Aren't random suggestions from strangers considered "filler" names since they have no meaning to you or your dh? Just wondering. (not meant to be snarky)

Not snarky, it's a good question!  I guess by "filler" I mean a name that is ALWAYS suggested or given. because they go with every name and are really common as middle names. You have no idea how many babies I know with Grace as their middle name, just this year alone. Of course if the name happens to be in your family, then for you it's not "filler". I don't really have any connection to names and neither does my husband. I am not sentimental of others' names or keeping names in the family. I thought passing on the name Carmen would mean a great deal to my family, but they all said they hate it as a middle name, so the world is my oyster! But, I want a beautiful and unique name. Having so much to chose from and ultimately going for Grace or Rose, would kind of crush the name for me. Does that make sense?

• Options
    imageycristina84:
    imageMandyWes:

Not snarky, it's a good question!  I guess by "filler" I mean a name that is ALWAYS suggested or given because they go with every name and are really common as middle names. You have no idea how many babies I know with Grace as their middle name, just this year alone. Of course if the name happens to be in your family, than for you it's not "filler". I don't really have any connection to names and neither does my husband. I am not sentimental of others names or keeping names in the family. I thought passing on the name Carmen would mean a great deal to my family, but the all said they hate it as a middle name, so the world is my oyster! But, I want a beautiful and unique name. Having so much to chose from and ultimately going for Grace or Rose, would kind of crush the name for me. Does that make sense?

Definitely! And yes, I have more than my share of friends with babies with mn Grace. Ok, so while you're taking suggestions for mn's (you may or may not consider these filler):

Elizabeth
    Claire
    Jill
    Lily
    Mae
    Kay

GL!

• Options
    Matilda! It's gorgeous, and you can choose from Mattie, Tillie or Tilda as nicknames. Felicity is not bad, and I've always liked Aurelia, BUT it also kind of reminds me of areola... 
  • Options
    imagebaconface:

I really dislike Aurelia, and yeah, it will get pronounced various ways. I'd probably say it the way you said you don't like.

I love Felicity and Matilda.  A nn for Matilda could be Mattie, which is cute, but will get grouped with the million other Maddy/Maddie/Matties out there right now.  Tillie would also be a cute nn. 

We are not nickname people, I almost always despise them. (There are exceptions) So Matilda would just be Matilda.  

• Options
    Love the suggestions of Poppy, Penelope, Elizabeth, Claire and Lily! In fact, I think Matilda Lily is going on the list :) Keep 'em coming!
  • Options

imagemrsb_IN:
    Matilda! It's gorgeous, and you can choose from Mattie, Tillie or Tilda as nicknames. Felicity is not bad, and I've always liked Aurelia, BUT it also kind of reminds me of areola... 

LOL! Areola is certainly not a connection I want! Yikes! I'll have to consider that one. 

• Options
    I LOVE Felicity. It was on our list if we were having a girl. I like Felicity Scarlett.
    imageimageimage
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Breastfeeding and pregnant!
  • Options

imagemrsb_IN:

This! Especially the bolded part.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Out of the three my favorite is Felicity followed by Matilda. Personally, I think people would butcher Aurelia.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    DX: Severe MFI 9/1/11
    Because of Undescended testicle at birth
    IVF #1 October BFN; 5 snowbabies
    FET: November/December 2011
    ET: 12/7/11; Beta 1: 12/16/11: 66 Beta 2: 12/19/11: 212! 1st ultrasound 1/3/12! Graduated 1/10/12: heartbeat 160
    SAIF Always Welcome
  • Options

Aurelia - I would pronounce it aw-REL-yah. I'm not a big fan of names with so many vowels and vowel sounds. And the name, in general, is just a mouthful to me.

Felicity - I think it's cute. Reminds me more of the American Girl doll than the television show (can you tell I have a 10yo daughter?). Smile

Mathilda - LOVE! I even think the nickname Mattie is cute even though I am bored with Maddy.

I'm horrible with middle name suggestions. Sorry!

VOTE on my Name List
  • Options

I love the name Aurelia - it was on our list before we found out we were having boys. I would pronounce it the way that you stated, but I wouldn't worry if people pronounce it the second way it seems very similar and you'll have people with accents that pronounce it slightly different anyways. It was the name of a character on a Roman TV show that MH and I watched and I think it's very elegant. 

Not a big fan of Felicity, I guess it's just NMS... seems kind of NNish and not very proper? Not sure. And I'm not a big fan of Matlida either, it just makes me think of the movie. I'd have a hard time seeing that name on my daughter (if I had one).

As for middle names, I'm of the camp that MNs should have significance to the parents - either a place, another favorite name or a family name. GL! 

• Options

imagemrsb_IN:

Me too. Aside from the name being awkward to even say, the connection for me to that word kills it.

I like Matilda a lot. Not a fan of Felicity. 

P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • Options
    Aurelia was my #1 girls name, until DH ruined it for me by saying it sounded like "I'll-rail-ya."  Matilda is NMS, but Felicity is beautiful.

Finished BC and not preventing since June 2010.
    Actively trying for baby #1 since July 2011.
    SA completed 5/29/2012. No sperm found.
    11/12: Dx: Congenital Bilateral Absense of the Vas Deferens.
    Genetic Testing needed as this is a mutation of Cystic Fibrosis.
    IVF #1 with ICSI planned for 2013.
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
  • Options

I love Aurelia, and Matilda (especially the nn Tilly).

I don't care for Felicity and I especially don't like the common nns Fliss, Flick and Floss. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    I like Aurelia from your list.  It is my #1 guilty pleasure name but I don't have the guts to use it.  I also pronounce it how you do.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Yaaaaay Aurelia! That will be our daughter's name if we have one. We pronounce it the same way you do. Personally, I think it sounds best with a middle name that doesn't end in -a. I actually love it with Rose... but agree with you that the generic middle name would kind of ruin it.

I also love Felicity. But go with Aurelia. So beautiful.

(and re the nipple thing... lots of people don't even know what an areola is. I don't think it's an issue).

• Options
    imagePhilsWife07:

imagemrsb_IN:

Me too. Aside from the name being awkward to even say, the connection for me to that word kills it.

I like Matilda a lot. Not a fan of Felicity. 

This.  The first thing I thought was Areola?  The second thing I thought was Are-you-ella? 

ETA:  I really love Matilda.  Very underused and a great name. 

• Options

Aurelia is really, really nms.  Felicity is ok.  I like Matilda (in fact a friend of mine just had a Matilda yesterday).

Felicity Ann/Anne

or

Matilda Katherine

*BFP 11/3/07*J born 07/06/08*
    *BFP 10/15/11*CP 10/18/11*
    *BFP 2/1/12*EDD 10/14/12*natural M/C 2/24/12 7w*
    *BFP 5/2/12*E born 01/03/13 (her due date)
  • Options

I love Matilda!  I really love a pp's suggestion of Matilda Carys.  Also,

Evelyn

Katherine

Suzanne

Simone

Elizabeth

I like Felicity, but don't love it.

I don't care for Aurelia at all. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I love Felicity! What about Felicity Matilda? 
  • Options
    Aurelia would be my pick out of your choices. I would prefer Aurora though which is similar sounding.

B.R.C. 5/08-- N.R.C. 5/10--S.R.C. 3/14
  • Options
    imageMandyWes:

Matilda isn't too bad. I wouldn't use Jane as a mn though since Matilda Jane is a children's clothing line/company.

I knew I'd heard the combo together somewhere.  It stuck in my head because I liked it but couldn't remember where it was from.  Either was it's out because dh hates Matilda. 

R&K married 4.15.11. TTC #1 since 7.11.12

BFP #1 9.9.12 EDD 5.21.13 c/p 9.12.12 at 4 weeks 1 day

BFP #2 10.15.12 EDD 6.28.13 c/p 10.19.12 at  4 weeks.

BFP #3 1.19.13 EDD 10.1.13 Eleanor born 10.7.13 at 40 weeks 6 days

13dpo hcg@32, progesterone@13.7, 15dpo hcg@110, 16dpo progesterone@25.9

My blog:Urban Times in Michigan ~ My Bfp Chart

• Options

Matilda! I adore the nickname Tillie. It's seriously the cutest.

I'm aslo a fan of Felicity. It's probably my favorite virtue name.

I don't care for Aurelia. I can't look at it without thinking areola.

VOTE on my Name List

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I think all of them are names that makes me cringe for trying too hard to be unique. Felicity will always remind me of that flighty tv show and the chick married to McSteamy.
  • Options
    Aurelia just reminds me of areola, not sure why.  Otherwise it's pretty.  If I had to choose, I'd vote for Matilda.  :)
  • Options

I LOVE Felicity. Easy pronunciation, classic, pretty, underused. I've loved it since the American Girl collection came out with their Felicity doll!

Felicity Mae

Felicity Jane

Felicity Dorothy

Felicity Christine

my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options

imagenbeseau:
    I think all of them are names that makes me cringe for trying too hard to be unique. Felicity will always remind me of that flighty tv show and the chick married to McSteamy.

Huh? McSteamy is married to Rebecca Gayheart. What does that have to Felicity?Do you mean Kerri Russell from Felicity and the movie Waitress? They both have curly hair...I loved the show and her, so I don't mind that at all. 

• Options
    I love Matilda. I was trying to get DH on board with baby #4, before we found out the gender, but he is not a fan. I like Matilda Joy.
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Options

I'd pronounce it Aw-rail-iyah

I also love Felicity, Matilda is NMS

And my MN is Marie Super Angry

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Options

I love Aurelia!  I pronounce it Aw-rel-ia. 

Maybe middle names Clare or Renee?

Felicity & Matilda are NMS.

And my LO's middle name is Grace for 2 reasons, well 3.  My DH & I love the way it goes with her name, It is a family name & she was born on a Tuesday (Full of Grace) :)  Definitely not a filler.

imageimageimageimageimage
      Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I love the name Aurelia! Matilda is cute but NMS,and I strongly dislike Felicity.
    I would have never made the the areola connection,and don't think that many others IRL would either.

As far as MNs,how about:
    Aurelia Pearl
    Aurelia Claire
    Aurelia Mae
    Aurelia Maeve

Lilypie - (yNYF)

Lilypie - (bSes)

T1 diabetes diagnosed 11/95 due to severe pancreatic injury
    BFP 1 1/22/10 EDD 9/30/10 Adria b. 9/11/10 d.8/9/11, Transposition of the Great Arteries,
    Pleural effusion, Kidney Failure
    BFP 2 4/26/12 EDD 1/3/13 M/C 5/13/12
    BFP 3 10/3/12 EDD 6/17/13 Twins! Preston and Juliet b. 5/22/13

• Options

I love Felicity and Aurelia, but agree that there will probably be lots and lots of people who will mispronounce Aurelia until corrected. 

MN's:

Elise, Aria, Lyanna, Elizabeth, Karen, Belle

• Options

I like Matilda and Felicity.

PS - I love your wedding photo in your siggy. Gorgeous!

• Options
    Really dislike Aurelia and Matilda.

But I love Felicity.

Felicity Nicole
    Felicity Elise
    Felicity Lucille
    Felicity Belle
    evelyn 4.2010 | will 1.2012 | baby BOY due 12.2014
    pregnant and/or breastfeeding since 2009.

• Options
    I like Felicity followed but not closely by Matilda. I'm not really  a fan of Aurelia.
  • Options

I love the names Aurelia (and the related Aura), but absolutely hate the ways in which I've heard these beautiful names butchered in the U.S. Aw-reel-yah isn't even the worst I've heard, I think Oriole-uh and Oreo-lah are much worse. I think I would only use Aurelia if I lived around a lot of Spanish speakers- do you?

Between Felicity and Matilda, I like Matilda a little more and it's more my style, but Felicity is a nice name.

If you don't want "filler" mns, I wouldn't ask for suggestions on this board. Think about names that have some personal significance for you.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"