Breastfeeding

FTM and Clueless

I plan on breastfeeding and bottle feeding. I have a pump (Ameda Purely Your Ultra) that is ready to go! I am clueless about

how long to feed for?

One the same breast?

How many oz a newborn should have every ??? hours?

I'm so worried now! Is there any book or video I need to see to help me? or will the LC' be of a big help when I deliver?

BTW....nursing classes have not worked with our schedule so I haven't been able to go with DH!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

Re: FTM and Clueless

• 1. Babies will stop eating when they are full. A lot of times my DS will fall asleep when he's done.
    2. When BFing it's hard to know how many ounces they are eating because there is no way to track it unless you pump and give it to them in a bottle. With that being said at first your body produces colostrum (sp) and only a tiny bit but that is what ur baby needs.
    3. Your hospital should have an LC that you can request to see or sometimes they will automatically come visit especially if you are having problems. My hospital also has a walk-in clinic for BFing where you can drop by and see a LC.
    I also didnt take any classes and my LO is BFing like a champ even after being in the NICU which means he took bottles as well.
    After almost 3 years and 2 IUIs our lil guy is here! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker <a href="http://s579.photobucket.com/albums/ss238/hall_kyrac/?action=view
  • Thank you! That make me feel so much better! I have done my years of babysitting, working in daycares, and now I am a teacher. I am always with kids but this while newborn thing has suddenly got me really worried!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

• Loading the player...
  • I went to a few La Leche League meetings while pregnant and that really upped my confidence. I also read "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" and read on kellymom.com. This is a good place to start.

Feed until your baby stops eating. Then if baby is still awake, offer the second side.

A newborn starts with a stomach the size of a marble. So they will end up drinking very little, very often.

Never be afraid to ask for help! Ask the nurses, ask the LC, take it all with a grain of salt (some people give terrible advice), and just keep going.

• I'd also suggest the book So That's What They're For. It's very informative about supply/demand and what to expect those first few weeks.

Remember to always start on the side you ended on for the last feeding. And feed, feed feed those first few weeks. This will help increase your supply.

Also, BFing takes lots of time and is a big commitment in the beginning. But then they get bigger and don't need to eat as often and it's so easy - it just takes a while to get there. Be persistent. BFing has been one of the most rewarding aspects of motherhood for me. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In addition to this board, there are some good websites to check out as well- www.kellymom.com and breastfeeding.com have been helpful for general info. (sorry I can't make the links clicky, I bump on my iPad) GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"