February 2012 Moms

Maternity Undies - Necessary or Rip Off?

So, as I browse for cute maternity close I notice most stores sell maternity underwear.  My question for second time moms - did you find that you needed these as your pregnancy progressed or did you get by with underwear you already had?

I imagine if I gained enough weight to outgrow my regular size I would need to address that but could I get away with a larger size or regular underwear??

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Maternity Undies - Necessary or Rip Off?

• First time mom here, but I have felt uncomfortable in my undies for several months now.  I just went out and bought some cheap Hanes panties that were a size up.  They are big on me and I roll them down a little, but I find them much much more comfy.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • same here...I just bought a size up in cotton boyshorts and im much more comfortable. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • The vast majority of my panties started getting really tight and cutting into my bladder/uterus about a month ago, so DH let me order some more Hanky Panky thongs, which are the only ones I can wear comfortably anymore! But they're definitely not "maternity" panties -- they're super cute. :D
    ---
    ♥ Married since June 2009 ♥
    TW: Living children & Losses:
    Mom of sons "Alpha" (Feb 2012) & "Beta" (May 2016)
    Pregnant after 4 losses via IVF/FET with daughter "Gamma" (EDD Oct 2, 2019)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I had some free $$$ to spend at motherhood, and several people had recommended the maternity undies to me b/4 I went, so I bought one pack of the kind that can stay up or fold down and one hipster pack.  I really like the ones that you can fold down, they're especially comfy when I use my belly band with a regular pair of pants.  But I've also heard you can just buy underwear a size up.
  • I hated maternity undies when I was pregnant with my son, but there weren't any options other than over your belly bloomers or weird super high cuts.

This time around, I just bought Hanes microfiber low rise bikinis and I love them. 

• Ah, I was wondering this. My current panties are getting that bacon edge around the rubber because they are getting stretched, but my backside has gotten a little smaller (don't hate, I have a big backside anyway) so I don't want a bigger pair flapping in the breeze just because I need a bigger waist. I'm gonna keep watching this thread.
  • Second time mom, and I never bought them last time.  I just used some Hanes Her Way cotton waistband regular undies from Target.
  • imageGem17:
    Second time mom, and I never bought them last time.  I just used some Hanes Her Way cotton waistband regular undies from Target.

This exactly. I didn't want to spend money on panties that may get a little messy after the birth (all that bleeding, ya know). I bought one size up of the low rise and they were comfy!

Hatching the Hawks
    Hatching the Hawks
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am so glad this was asked, they keep trying to sell them to me at my motherhood and I was wondering if I really needed them. Thanks ladies, I think one size up will work!
  • I'm a little late on this, but I agree with all the PP's...Hanes are super comfy, and I just got a size up - they're working out just fine!
    ? I married my best friend on 6/6/09! ? ? BFP on 6/6/11! ? ? EDD for Baby Girl, 2/10/12! ? BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • imagemariekl04:
    same here...I just bought a size up in cotton boyshorts and im much more comfortable. 

ditto

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"