Single Parents


I'm new at this and I have a lawyer who hasn't explained the reasoning behind it yet and I know the laws everywhere are different (I'm in California), BUT I want to get your perspective.

 On the child support paperwork, my lawyer has stated that I want the daycare cost and health insurance cost to be 50/50. 

My STBXH has a 6 figure salary and I'm currently living on unemployment. Why would she ask for only 50/50? 

 Shouldn't there be some kind of guideline based on each person's income? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 50/50

  • Are you unemployed because you want to be? Were you laid off? Are you looking for a job? If you are able to work, please do. 

    I don't have any other advice except get a job, but my EX is on unemployment and we split medical expenses 50/50 now.  Why are you asking for daycare costs if you are unemployed? Are you unable to take care of your child? I guess I need more information. 

    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm on unemployment because my company down-sized and I got laid off. And, yes I'm looking for a job...are you going to hire a 9 month pregnant woman? I don't plan on being unemployed forever so yes, I'm asking for daycare because I don't want to continuously go to court for each thing and would rather just take care of it all together now vs. later when I'm busy catering to a newborn and hopefully working full-time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • In my order my LO's father is required to have the health insurance. He pays 60% of daycare plus a percentage of his pay for the actual child support part. They wouldn't figure in the cost of daycare until he was actually in it. So when I was home on maternity leave I only got the child support amount and then it went up when I went back to work.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Most states have child support calculators ( ) and 50/50 on child care and insurance is pretty standard.

    I would think you would also want it reasonable now - or otherwise the instant you are employed he can petition to reduce his payments due to your change of financial circumstances.

    Some of the things your talking about re: income disparity will be more appropriately addressed in alimony and spousal support.  Not child support.

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards