Natural Birth

Can I really do this?

I want to do a natural birth but now I have some doubts.  I am only 21 weeks pregnant and I am in a lot of pain today b/c my hips are not lined up together to the point I have to go to the chiropractor now.  I am worrying if I could not handle this how can I make it through natural birth.  I even took two Tylenol yesterday which I swear that I never would and feel guilty about it.

Re: Can I really do this?

• I was a wuss with the headaches I had during my pregnancy, but labor was totally different.  First, you know there is an end to it within a matter of a day or two for the most part.  When you have pregnancy pains so early on you don't know when they'll end and if you'll have it for the duration of your pregnancy. 
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks, I just feel a little down b/c of the pain that is going on with my back and the hips.  I really would like to try to go all natural but, people just laugh when I say I want to and tell me I will beg for the meds when it comes time.

• Loading the player...
  • I have those doubts and fears too.  At the beginning of my pregnancy, DS gave me a stomach flu that had terrible abdominal cramps and I was vomiting up everything, even sips of water.  After 24 hours I had DH take me to the ER to get hydrated because I was worried about baby, and I was so sick and in pain and I was like, "screw natural birth, I want to be in a hospital with drugs!"

I know that it's going to be hard and I definitely have doubts sometimes, but I also know that my body was meant to do this, and the reward (and for me, shorter recovery) will be worth it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Contractions aren't like regular pain. A mom can do whatever she likes in between contractions, paint or crafts, walk, eat, read, if you get an epidural you may not feel those contractions but are confined to a bed and constantly being monitored. In my first part of labor I went to the store, cooked a meal and watched TV. When I finally decided it was time to go to the hospital I was 5cm and got to relax in the whirlpool tub, THIS  WAS THE BEST! when they wanted to check me again I was already 7cm and in transition... that is the hard part where people usually yell out for an epi, I even recall thinking (oh this is why they get drugs)  but it was over so fast and I was pushing and I wouldn't think twice about it just like I didn't then.

I am sorry you are getting such negative feedback, stop telling people your plans and just  KNOW you can do it.Find a support network and stop discussing the pain of labor with people who say things like "you will beg for the meds.." It is like someone running a marathon and you can see the finish line ahead and all of these people standing on the sidelines who didn't cross the finish line are telling you "Just get out of the race now, before your dissapointed you didn't finish." pssshaaa I would keep running toward that finish line and look toward those who have crossed that line they will motivate you, not the ones begging you to stop racing!

My mom gave me the best advice she had 6 kids (5 without drugs, and the one with she was 'forced' into) She said  "The worst pain is right before you have the baby, pushing doesn't hurt" she was also my doula and kept me soooo calm helped me relax all through it. I recommend anyone having a 'natural' birth have a doula!!

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • I started having bad back and hip pain around 5 months and I am doing a natural birth. hopefully the chiropractic adjustments are helping, you could also try some yoga. No reason to beat yourself up for needing a tylenol, it's just a good thing if you don't need it everyday. I also went through a phase where I was really nervous about the labor and planning to go with medication. I recommend the book "Birthing From Within" it's a great place to get a little more confidence on what your body can do. I hope you can surround yourself with people who are more supportive of your choice!!
  • This is a little TMI but I remember being REALLY constipated and trying to have a bowel movement durring my first pregnancy and I thought OMG if I can't even push out poop how am I EVER going to push out a BABY.

But you know what I had 12 hours of back labor and pushed out a posterior 8lb 8oz baby in 25 minutes.

ditto everyone else, labor is different then back pain or pain from an injury. Instict takes over and as long as you are prepared with relaxation and pain management techniques you CAN DO IT

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • You can totally rock a natural birth!  Going to a chiropractor doesn't mean that you can't handle pain well enough; it's actually a great thing to do during pregnancy because it keeps everything aligned.  My 6 week old recognizes my chiropractor's voice because I went so often during my pregnancy.

Don't guilt trip yourself over two Tylenol; sometimes it's necessary, and if you were in that much pain, then you needed them. 

Feelings of doubt are normal when thinking about laboring naturally.  But our bodies were designed to birth babies.  You can do this!  :)

Anniversary imageLilypie - (fQ49)

• Thank you guys for your vote of confidence. I guess we all fall once in awhile, I just need to get up and brush myself off and go on with my plans.  My main concern is that I do not what to take any meds so that I do not harm my baby and I have heard how great of an experience it is to go natural. ;)
  • The best thing you can do is talk to a certified birth assistant, otherwise known as a Doula. A Doula can help ease your fears and will make you feel very confident in your decision. Also, having a Doula attend your birth will help you reach your goal of a natural birth. You can go to www.Doula.com or www.Dona.org to get more information about having a Doula.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"