Preemies
Options

reflux/oral aversions

Have any of your LOs developed oral aversions? Reagan has reflux and was put on 3 different medications for it...since she started medications, her eating has gotten worse and worse. They think it's an oral aversion from taking all of the meds. They are referring us to a feeding therapist.

Was it hard to overcome? Did your LOs eventually start eating well again? What did you do to help it? She used to eat 4oz every 3 hours. She projectile vomited so they started her on Prilosec. A couple weeks later, she stopped eating so well. We are lucky to get 2-3 oz in her now.

ETA: They are also wanting me to start taking her off the meds. We are leaving the Prevacid for last. They are also wanting me to try Alimentum for a week or so instead of fortified breastmilk (I'm pumping and freezing).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: reflux/oral aversions

• Options

email me and i'll share what our OT suggested yesterday.

bridgit dot h dot watkins at gmail dot com 

• Options
    Thank you! I sent you an email! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Andrew had awful reflux as an infant - we just offered the bottle very frequently and hoped he would eat enough and he did, but it was never easy. I do think he had some aversion but not too bad until we started table food.  He absolutely refused to sit in a high chair or eat table food.  He would not self feed it was awful.  We started feeding therapy and within 2 months we saw a big improvement.  8 months later he'll eat anything we put in front of him and acts like such a big boy - we stopped feeding therapy.

Hugs!

• Options
    imagebhilyer:

Would I be able to email as well?  We have been working with a couple different OTs for months, but things haven't gotten much better.

Claire Elisabeth born at 27w1d on 2/20/11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

My DD Lauren has an oral aversion.  We have been to a feeding clinic for therapy...but so far, she refuses any foods by mouth.  Sad  She will take bottles, but that is all.  I'm sorry I don't have any good advice.  My daughter is 14 months, and I hope each day, that she will soon want to eat foods. 

I'm convinced she has this from all of the time on the oscillator/being suctioned/gagging on her OG tube, etc.  She has bad reflux as well.  I remember she projectile vomited a lot when she was smaller. 

TTC for 12 years. m/c 2009. BFP on New Year's 2010. Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Hi,

Has Reagan been tested for food allergies (dairy and soy mainly)?  If not, dairy in your BM and the fortifier might be aggravating the problem.  In this case, alimentum should definitely help.

Our magic combo - Prevacid solutab, Alimentum mixed with Happy Bellies Rice Cereal (I like this brand bc of the probiotics), Mylicon Gas drops with each feeding, hold upright for ~ 45 mins after eating. 

My Dr tried Zantac and then went right to Prevacid.  That with the rice cereal made a HUGE difference.  It takes a week or two for full effects, and he still has bad days. but it's much much better.

GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

She hasn't been tested for an allergy but we are trying the Alimentum just to see. She started on Thursday evening..and we are already noticing a HUGE difference. Her past 2 bottles, she ate 3 1/2 ounces, which is a definite improvement from the 1 to 1 1/2 ounce she was eating and then screaming. She seems to enjoy eating again. I hope this is the answer and it's not just a fluke or something.

Thanks for all your help guys! This preemie stuff is just so tough it's nice to have people to turn to who have been there.

• Options
    imageskhynes:
    imagebhilyer:

Would I be able to email as well?  We have been working with a couple different OTs for months, but things haven't gotten much better.

Absolutely! Lmooney - I'm gonna email you back later today.
  • Options
    Thanks bhilyer!
    Claire Elisabeth born at 27w1d on 2/20/11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"