Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Talk to me about chicken pox

Hudson had his vaccine about 4 months ago. He now has a bunch of raised red blister-like patches on his right thigh. I was doing my research today...I just noticed them last night and he has been having a really bad bout of eczema flair up this past week. Also, runny nose and cough. I would PIP, but that is impossible right now. I can probably do that tonight....

Weird thing is that the blister like bumps are only on his right leg.  It reminded me of the shingles, but someone would have to have chicken pox before shingles from everything I read and shingles starts on the chest and usually spreads.

TIA

Married 2007
DS - 5/2010
DD - 6-2013
TTC #3 - Cycle #9

Re: Talk to me about chicken pox

• Options

It could be hand, foot, mouth.

I thought my son had a bad diaper rash/yeast infection, then it looks like bites.

My pedi told me that late summer, early fall is prime for hand foot mouth. We had the runny nose, cough, sore throat and excessive drooling. Some kids can get canker sores in their mouths.

Good luck, I hope it is nothing serious.

• Options
    Thanks.  My other friend suggested hand foot and mouth too.  Haven't had any blisters on the hands or feet or mouth yet though.  I am going to keep a close eye on it.
    Married 2007
    DS - 5/2010
    DD - 6-2013
    TTC #3 - Cycle #9

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagegsteph88:
    imageAvidVertigo:

Hudson had his vaccine about 4 months ago. He now has a bunch of raised red blister-like patches on his right thigh. I was doing my research today...I just noticed them last night and he has been having a really bad bout of eczema flair up this past week. Also, runny nose and cough. I would PIP, but that is impossible right now. I can probably do that tonight....

Weird thing is that the blister like bumps are only on his right leg.  It reminded me of the shingles, but someone would have to have chicken pox before shingles from everything I read and shingles starts on the chest and usually spreads.

TIA

I agree with PP, there is a major outbreak of hand and foot and mouth disease lately, so that might very well be it. Is he having low grade fevers? That could also be a sign.

Also, because your child received the vaccine, there a new studies coming out that say that those children will most likely develop shingles instead of chicken pox, but those studies show that it isn't until vaccinated people hit their 20's that they are getting them. My cousin developed shingles on her arms as a result of the chicken pox vaccination, but hers was a bad one and isn't a typical case. 

To me, it looks very much like shingles.  Like I said, I will PIP tonight.  I am just not sure what it is at this point.  If I take him to the doctor for either one, I don't think there is much they can do for him is there???

Married 2007
    DS - 5/2010
    DD - 6-2013
    TTC #3 - Cycle #9

• Options
    imagegsteph88:
    imageAvidVertigo:
    imagegsteph88:
    imageAvidVertigo:

TIA

I agree with PP, there is a major outbreak of hand and foot and mouth disease lately, so that might very well be it. Is he having low grade fevers? That could also be a sign.

Also, because your child received the vaccine, there a new studies coming out that say that those children will most likely develop shingles instead of chicken pox, but those studies show that it isn't until vaccinated people hit their 20's that they are getting them. My cousin developed shingles on her arms as a result of the chicken pox vaccination, but hers was a bad one and isn't a typical case. 

To me, it looks very much like shingles.  Like I said, I will PIP tonight.  I am just not sure what it is at this point.  If I take him to the doctor for either one, I don't think there is much they can do for him is there???

I think for either one they get antibiotics (I know they do for shingles), and if it is shingles, they'll likely give you a cream to help them go down more quickly. Are they clustered together? Kinda purplish? 

They look like pimples except the whole patch is REALLY red and raised up.  Not purple though.  Like I said he has eczema so I have been using his topical eczema  creme on it for now to see if it would help or make it feel better if it was hurting him.  We haven't noticed him itching it though. 

Married 2007
    DS - 5/2010
    DD - 6-2013
    TTC #3 - Cycle #9

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"