Baby Names

Know lots of Kates?

The hubby and I have a tough time agreeing on names, but we both like Katerina. Hard thing is it's quite a mouthful, so would almost certainly become a nickname. We'd likely use Katya (from the original language) as a family nickname, but I don't know that it would stick outside the famly. Our next favorite choice is Kate. However, my big thing is I don't like really common names. I don't want our kids in class with 4 other kids with the same name.

So all that is leading up to my question: Do you know a lot of young Kates? It can be a nickname for so much it's hard to do a direct search for. Katerina does give us/her a lot of choice on nns, but I don't want to feel like we have to change our nn or accept that half the kids on the playground share her name. Thoughts?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Know lots of Kates?

• I think Katya would work out for you just fine.  If you introduce her to people as Katya, that's what they'll call her.  Kat is another nickname she might prefer when she gets older.  Or Rina/Trina.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sure, I know lots of Kates and Katies.

But they're all named Katherine/Catherine.  I think by naming her Katerina you've given her distinction to start with.  The family nickname of Katya, also helps.  If she decides she doesn't like being 1 of 4 Kates, (which I don't think it would be that high in one classroom- but certainly within the grade) then she can go by Katya or Katerina.  

I really like Katerina nn Katya!  Heck, she could also just be Kat.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I do know a lot of young Kate and Katies...though like pp said, they are all Katherine.  I know of one Katerina who is now 6 and goes by Katrin.  She has had no problems with her nickname sticking outside of her family, it has actually been very well received.  I think that you will be fine with Katerina/Katya...I love the name and the nickname, very pretty!
  • I know a Catherine, and a Kathleen.. all intheir early 30's..

I know an ekaterina who is about 6..

• I only know grown-up Kates, and I work at a girls' school. 

I think Katya will work just fine--I don't think it'll be shortened.

mm 2/17/11 * dd born 4/20/12 * bo 1/3/14 * edd 1/211/15 

• I'm in NY and while there are a lot of Katie's/Katherine's in the 20's and 30's, I don't know any young kids with the name.  They're all Kaley/Caleigh/Carlie - that seems more popular.  There isn't one single Katherine/Kate in my kids entire daycare.

Katerina is my favorite name and I LOVE Katya but dh rejected both.  I thought we settled on Katherine and I would call her Katya (Kate to others) but she ended up as Allison (long story that you won't care about).  I love my Allie but I always have a special place for the name Katerina and Kate.  I say go for it - wonderful choice!

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• I don't know a lot of young Kates, and think it's lovely. Katerina with a nn of Kate or Katya are great!
    Our first baby girl, Lucia Joy, joined us on April 1, 2010!
  • i know more of them now that there is a princess named kate!
  • In my 10 years of teaching, I've only had one student named Kate.
  • DD is Katerina nn Kate...I never thought of Katya...hmmm... I really dislike Kat, Rina, and Trina.

I only know 1 other Kate ( she is 14). Though I know tons of Katies (Kathryn/Catherine/Katherine)

• I am a Katie/Kate (Katherine) and never new any other Kate's growing up and still don't. But I know a lot of Kathy's.

The young girls now that I know are all Catelyn's (or whatever variation their mom thought up).

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • I know 5 Kate/Cates under 2. And they all live in the Southeast (none where I am in the West), maybe it's more popular there? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Very interesting, thanks for the feedback, everyone! Making me feel better about it :-)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I actually don't know any Kates. My 1/2 sister is Katerina and has always gone by Kat.
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"