August 2011 Moms
Options

Friend told me I stole her baby name...rant

We had our friends over last night and out of no where my friend said that Elizabeth was her girl name (they had a boy) and rudely said "I don't understand your choice. You named her Elizabeth but call her Ella. If you wanted Elizabeth you should actually use the name." Um...okay. Elizabeth is a family name which is why we chose it and we picked Ella because I didn't want her called Beth and we wanted her to still have her own identity even though it is a family name. Plus...whatever...I can name my child whatever I want! She didn't tell me that was her girl name beforehand so it isn't like I purposefully stole it!

Glad I didn't tell anyone the name before she was born...this is totally the reason we kept it secret!

Re: Friend told me I stole her baby name...rant

• Options

She doesn't own that name. If she doesn't have a child then she doesn't get to reserve a name. She's being ridiculous, but I think you already know that. 

Also, Elizabeth is a very common name. If she's going to get bent out of shape every time someone names their DD Elizabeth, then she's going to need some sort of medication... or a padded room.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    My friend said I stole her name too! I had planned on naming dd1 Grace, but didn't use it. My friend said good thing, that's my name. I had told her if I had another girl, it was still a possibility. Well, I had another girl, and named her Grace. My friend said "I can't believe that you used that name, its mine." I said "It is not "yours", I am free to name my kids what I please, as are you." She even went as far to rant about it on facebook! This could be why I have not talked to her since I came home from the hospital...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

She who has the baby girl first, names the baby girl first.

And, Elizabeth is a common, beautiful and classic name; there are bound to be plenty of little Elizabeths running around the playgrounds. 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageJaysonandKristin:

She who has the baby girl first, names the baby girl first.

And, Elizabeth is a common, beautiful and classic name; there are bound to be plenty of little Elizabeths running around the playgrounds. 

And even more Graces. Wow. I don't understand how someone can think they can "claim" a name that popular.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I stole your DD's name from you so I guess I'm guilty too!!  Our DD's name is Kendall Elizabeth and my dad calls her Elizabeth all the time.  My grandmother and aunt were Ella Elizabeth.  I really love both of the names and of course the sentimental value connected with it
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

lol

tell her to file a police report!

If it was a u-neek name....i could understand her frustration....but still, u cant call dibs on names!!!

• Options
    SarahPLiz I named my little girl Grace after being so undecided that we almost left the hospital without a name.  I also contemplated Elizabeth.  If you love a name and nobody else has a girl before you, then you get to use it.  Heck even if they had a girl you can still use it.  Some people are weird about things.  I like Elizabeth even spelled with an S.  The NN Ella is cute.
  • Options

Similar thing happened to us... We used Lillian after my DH's deceased grandmother and we like family names.  After my baby shower, my MIL told me DH's cousin was upset because she had wanted to use the name.  *roll eyes*  We're not close to this cousin (emotionally or geographically) and have different last names, so in my opinion she could still use Lillian if she ever has a daughter.  What's the big deal?

As for your friend, why can't she still use Elizabeth?  You call your daughter Ella, she can call her daughter Elizabeth, Beth, Liz, etc.  Most people wouldn't even realize they are both Elizabeth and each girl would have their own individual identity.  They might even enjoy having a name twin if they're friends as they get older.  I don't see the problem.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"