August 2011 Moms
Options

? about introducing formula

Quick background: I EP at the moment while trying to get DS to latch. I think he finally got it for the most part - but not well enough that he doesn't need bottles too. So I am going to nurse and pump some, but drastically less then I have the last 7 weeks. I need my life back. I haven't left the house since Sunday because its just too much of a pain in the butt to figure out pumping, feeding and doing things outside of the house. It's no way to live.

So I may possibly need to supplement with some formula - I am figuring no more then 10 ounces a day with what I produce at each pumping. DS was supplemented with SImilac the first 2 weeks, He hasn't had any formula since then. I have 3 cans of Enfamil Newborn I got as samples. This is probably a really stupid question: but I can introduce this brand now, right? As long as he doesn't have any issues with it, which I wont know until I try it. And then is it ok to go back to Similac if I choose to once I have used up the Enfamil samples and checks? I have about 150 ounces of BM frozen, so I would dip into that and give him only BM for a week before trying another formula brand. Or do I need to ask his Pedi about all this?

TIA!

Married & TTC #1 since 8/28/10 BFP #1 10/25/10 - EDD 7/5/11 -M/C 11/10/10 BFP #2 12/16/10 - EDD 8/26/11 - BORN 8/10/11 Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: ? about introducing formula

• Options
    I think that if he hasn't had the formula in weeks, it would be ok to introduce another brand at this point. I suggest introducing it slowly, mixed in with BM to see how he tolerates it. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

I supplemented DS with 4 Similac nursettes when he was abou 1 week old.  When he was 4 weeks old I started quitting BFing and gave him Enfamil Infant.  He did well on it.  When he was 5 weeks old I switched him to Similac Advanced and that one gave him diarrhea, fussiness, etc.  So I put him back on Enfamil, this time Enfamil Newborn, and he is doing great.

So I agree with the PP.  Since it's been a few weeks, he should take to the Enfamil fine, but then if you try to switch soon thereafter to something else, he may or may not have a problem with the new one. 

Also, I wouldn't mix BM with formula in a bottle.  If he doesn't finish the bottle you'll lose your BM that you worked hard for.  I would probably just substitute 1 bottle of formula per day for a few days and then increase it from there.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also, I called the Pedi when I put him on Similac Advanced and it didn't go well with him.  They told me that they don't recommend switching formulas so often because every time you do so, it takes their tummies time to get accustomed to the new one and I hated seeing DS in pain, so I just put him back on Enfamil. 
  • Options

imageKimML17:
    Before trying formula have you tried using a nipple shield? They work wonders for babies who have a hard time latching (in addition to other issues) and you may not have to supplement. 

yes I have. It did help. LO is latching for a little bit but he gets frusterated and never has a full meal.

I'm not sure if I will need to supplement at all.... just going to see what happens with less pumpings. I'm over thinking things right now :(

Married & TTC #1 since 8/28/10 BFP #1 10/25/10 - EDD 7/5/11 -M/C 11/10/10 BFP #2 12/16/10 - EDD 8/26/11 - BORN 8/10/11 Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"