Stay at Home Moms

Survey: at what age would you let your kids...

At what age would you let your kids:

1. Watch a PG movie?

2. Spend the night at a friend's house?

3. Stay home alone for 30 minutes?

4. Have an allowance?

SAHM to DD1 (7), DS (5) and DD2 (1)

Re: Survey: at what age would you let your kids...

• imagealmostjennifer:

1. Watch a PG movie? She watches some PG movies now.

2. Spend the night at a friend's house? I'm assuming this is a friend they made at school... maybe 3rd grade? If it is a family where I am good friends with the parents or another child in our neighborhood where I know the parents well, younger. and family... whenever they tell me they'll take her! :)

3. Stay home alone for 30 minutes? maybe at 10, leave LO alone at home, but be at the neighbors house. Actually going to a store or something, 12.

4. Have an allowance? We'll start out with stickers as allowance and see how long that lasts. haha! I'm guessing around 8, but it won't be much.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekristalovesjared:
    imagealmostjennifer:

1. Watch a PG movie? She watches some PG movies now.

2. Spend the night at a friend's house? I'm assuming this is a friend they made at school... maybe 3rd grade? If it is a family where I am good friends with the parents or another child in our neighborhood where I know the parents well, younger. and family... whenever they tell me they'll take her! :)

3. Stay home alone for 30 minutes? maybe at 10, leave LO alone at home, but be at the neighbors house. Actually going to a store or something, 12.

4. Have an allowance? We'll start out with stickers as allowance and see how long that lasts. haha! I'm guessing around 8, but it won't be much.

Lol. This is pretty much identical to how I feel.

Only difference is PG movies, depending on what they are rated PG for, maybe 5 or 6?

And I'll do allowance probably around 7 or 8. DH and I were talking about this recently. We want to teach DS how to save up his money to buy things he wants, and also practice giving a portion to charity. 

• Loading the player...
  • At what age would you let your kids:

1. Watch a PG movie?  I think it depends on the movie..

2. Spend the night at a friend's house? Probably first or second grade? I believe that's when I did for the first time.

3. Stay home alone for 30 minutes? Probably not until 10 or older

4. Have an allowance? Our kids will start their chore chart when they are around 3... meaning they have 3-5 things a week to do and get $ for each if they do them (when they are younger - little things like pick up your room, bath toys, etc.) They will never just get money though.

evelyn 4.2010 | will 1.2012 | baby BOY due 12.2014
    pregnant and/or breastfeeding since 2009.

• imagealmostjennifer:

1. Watch a PG movie? 10ish

2. Spend the night at a friend's house?  8

3. Stay home alone for 30 minutes? as young as 10 depending on the child

4. Have an allowance?  7, just to teach earning and spending

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagealmostjennifer:

1. Watch a PG movie? 8 years

2. Spend the night at a friend's house? 9 years

3. Stay home alone for 30 minutes? 11 years

4. Have an allowance? 10 or 11 years

I totally just guess on all of those!   

• I have done all 3.

1) I'm guessing Harry Potter and Narnia are PG.  My middle DD is 6 and loves watching them.

2)  8  DD#1 went to a slumber party at 8.  Honestly if she had been invited earlier I probably would have let her go.

3)  8  but only for a brief period of time.  Our county has recommendations as to when kids can be left alone.  9-10 year old can be left for up to 1 1/2 hrs.  DD is almost 9 and I trust her to be home alone briefly-not 1 1/2 hrs but I'm ok with 30-45 min.

4)  We started allowance at 5.  

• imagealmostjennifer:

I am totally going to answer this without reading the other responses because I know that will sway my opinion.  Hopefully I don't look like an idiot.

1. Watch a PG movie? If it was a cartoon, probably now?  If not, maybe age 5ish?

2. Spend the night at a friend's house? Yikes, I would like to say never.  I would say we would HAVE to know the parents until the kids are MUCH older.  If we knew the parents I would say age 7ish......We live by a military base and 90% of the kids at the elementary school the kids will be going to will be military, ie- we won't know the parents.  This will probably be an issue!

3. Stay home alone for 30 minutes? 9 or 10.

4. Have an allowance? 7

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • 1. Watch a PG movie?  8 yo

2. Spend the night at a friend's house?  6 yo

3. Stay home alone for 30 minutes?  11 yo

4. Have an allowance?  6 yo

• 1) She's been watching PG movies with her brother for quite some time now.  So, always.

2) She just turned 3 and had a sleepover at her friend's house last weekend.  My friend took her as a favor to us.  She loved it.

3) We are just starting to leave our 9 yr old home alone

4) We started an allowance with DS when he was about 7, I think.

• 1. Watch a PG movie?  I'm not sure.  I really don't know which movies qualify as PG movies.  We don't watch tv with the kid's up and all Jackson watches now are things like Sesame Street, etc.  I need to look more into the rating system.

2. Spend the night at a friend's house?  A long time, if ever.  I'd be comfortable with him staying with cousins but this one scares me.  10?

3. Stay home alone for 30 minutes?  Depends on the kids.  Probably also around 10.

4. Have an allowance?  When they start school.... around 5.

• I'm really surprised with some of the responses about sleepovers.  DS has been on more sleepovers than I can count, starting about 6 years old.  He's almost always in the neighborhood.  I don't know his friends' parents well but we've met and have each other's phone numbers.  The kids are always in and out of our houses.  Why not let them sleepover?
  • I truly don't know for any of them.  I'm in the wait and see camp.  When it feels right or starts to be on our radar, we will make these decisions.  I also think that it may be different ages for different kids of mine.  AND I don't ever want to hold it over their heads, like it is a goal age - when you are X you can X.  We'll see if that all actually works out that way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"