Trouble TTC

"performance issues" anyone else? (longish)

We've been actively, purposely TTC since Jan of 2010. Every time we've been doing TI. Every few months or so my DH runs into performance issues precisely at O time. It is not an issue at other times of the month (it's happened maybe a dozen times in our nearly 9 years of being together.)

Last night I was O'ing (based on my trigger) and we tried 3 separate times last night to get him to finish (the 2nd 2 were his idea.)  We finally succeeded but it wasn't much fun at that point for either of us. Although there were lots of high-fives, hugs, kisses and much happiness afterwards.

We've tried various ways of relieving the pressure he feels, but that gets more difficult the more protocols/effort and $$ we put into it up front. He is personally invested in my cycles and wants to know what's going on. We're long past the "let's-just-be-casual-you-don't-know-where-I-am-in-my-cycle" stage.

When this happens, we are both very kind and understanding towards one another. There is no fighting or anger.  He gets it from my perspective and I get it from his. It is just so difficult to deal with. I always err on the side of being patient and letting it go. But I find it's hard for me internally to be casual about it when it's so important to me. I say "We can try tomorrow night, if you want," but I know that it will likely be too late by then. Last night in bed I had tears in my eyes, trying to control my disappointment/frustration/emotions, as I was thinking about all these Follistim shots I've been giving myself this cycle.  

We're not resting our laurels on 1 session of intercourse but it's so hard when it's the time that will "count." I know that you're fertile for awhile before O'ing, but given our track record I don't know how true that is for us, personally.

Can anyone else relate? How do you handle it?

BzeetyD = 38, Mr. BzeetyD = 44 together 12/02 married 9/08
TTC #1 since 1/10
DX: Unexplained/??? MFI issues

Our lil' lost sparks:
5w3d loss 7/30/10 - EDD March 2011
8w loss 4/15/11 - EDD November 2011
8w3d loss 8/2/12 - EDD March 2013
4w c/p loss 10/29/12 - EDD July 2013

Long story: trying on our own + testing testing testing with 6 rounds of Clomid, more testing, injectables + TI, laparoscopy - one tube blocked, 2 IUIs with Follistim...BFNs.
RPL testing all normal, Karyotyping normal

Moving on to IVF.

IVF #1 April 2012 = BFN, IVF #2 June 2012 = BFP. U/S 7/23 = saw heartbeat but measuring behind. Follow up U/S on 7/30 - no heartbeat. D&C 8/2. Trisomy 12. IVF #3 Oct 2012 = Chemical Pregnancy

Phone consult with CCRM on 12/12/12 - ODWU 1/4/13 - both tubes clear(!) - AFC 24, AMH 3.2, FSH 9.6, LH 5.4, E2 25. DH has high frag rate but improved!
IVF #4 March 2013 CCRM. EP protocol w/ Menopur, Gonal-F & Dexamethasone. ER 3/29 & IMSI, PICSI. 43R 13M 10F 6blasts bio'd. CCS testing reveals 3 normals!!!
FET 5/31/13 of 1 4AA blast - thawed and expanded. 4dp5dt BFP.
Beta 9dp5dt = 181, 11dp5dt = 427. 1st u/s showed a healthy heartbeat! EDD 2/16/14

After 4 years of hoping and heartbreak, our sweet little bean was born on 2/19/14
We are so in love with her.

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it."

Everybody is welcome!!!

Re: "performance issues" anyone else? (longish)

• Yes, I can relate on the performance issues.  For us, it is just sometimes so exhausting and we just really don't have it in us to do the deed.  You are handling it well, there have been a couple times where I haven't handled the not being able to perform very well and did get frustrated so good for you for being calm and rational about it all.  I agree with cinciem on that the IUIs do seem to take some of the pressure off.  Hang in there!
    TTC since 7/2010
    Dx: Anovulation, Endo, only one working tube and ovary
    IUIs 1-5 = BFNs
    IVF #1 - ER 7/9 3dt 7/12
    Transferred two beautiful 8 cell embryos
    Beta #1 7/26 = 484 Beta #2 7/28 = 1045
    . U/S 8/10 showed one baby with a strong heartbeat!
    It's a BOY!!BabyFruit Ticker
    <a href="http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee408/dmcutshaw/?action=view
  • imagecinciem:

I know you have seen an RE who said all is good with TI, but I must admit that for us IUI has taken a lot of the pressure off. H still wants to take care of things the old fashion way in addition, but he has a much easier time of it knowing that our "bases are covered."

That being said, they are pretty sure my cervical scar tissue is a big part of why it is difficult for us to get PG and IUI bypasses my cervix, so we do have a specific medical reason, maybe that is the difference in protocols.

This

IUI #5 50 mg clomid + ovidrel + IUI 10/15 = BFP

Beta #1 27 (13 dpo) Beta #2 143 (16 dpo) Beta #3 436 (19 dpo) Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • It sounds like you are handling it well. For us TI has lost the fun. We were lucky this month that it fell on a trip to Vegas, but we're really considering IUI if this cycle is unsuccessful. Our RE said it only increases the chances 2-3% for us, but that's if we didn't have any performance issues.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • Firstly, thanks for all your replies. It's good to know that others have dealt with the same issue and understand the frustration.

Our RE said that IUI and IVF wasn't an option for us at this point because we'd be conceiving every 6-7 cycles.

But our OB said that IUI is an option through their clinic since we're doing Follistim. She didn't think it would increase our chances. But I think we'll try that in another cycle or two.

I've thought for a while that perhaps IUI would take the pressure off and let him relax, but I'm nervous about him giving an IUI sample because for him, his SA was "the worst experience of his life."

It is something we need to talk about.

Question about IUI -  Isn't there still pressure to perform, but in a different manner? And isn't the window of performance even smaller? I mean, if we have an appt for an IUI, he's got like 1/2 hour to get it done, doesn't he? Unless we bring it from home, and then there's a timing issue as well. Am I missing something?

TTC #1 since 1/10

Our lil' lost sparks:

Long story: trying on our own + testing testing testing with 6 rounds of Clomid, more testing, injectables + TI, laparoscopy - one tube blocked, 2 IUIs with Follistim...BFNs.

Moving on to IVF.

IVF #1 April 2012 = BFN, IVF #2 June 2012 = BFP. U/S 7/23 = saw heartbeat but measuring behind. Follow up U/S on 7/30 - no heartbeat. D&C 8/2. Trisomy 12. IVF #3 Oct 2012 = Chemical Pregnancy

Phone consult with CCRM on 12/12/12 - ODWU 1/4/13 - both tubes clear(!) - AFC 24, AMH 3.2, FSH 9.6, LH 5.4, E2 25. DH has high frag rate but improved!
    IVF #4 March 2013 CCRM. EP protocol w/ Menopur, Gonal-F & Dexamethasone. ER 3/29 & IMSI, PICSI. 43R 13M 10F 6blasts bio'd. CCS testing reveals 3 normals!!!
    Beta 9dp5dt = 181, 11dp5dt = 427. 1st u/s showed a healthy heartbeat! EDD 2/16/14

After 4 years of hoping and heartbreak, our sweet little bean was born on 2/19/14

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it."

Everybody is welcome!!!
  • imageBzeetyD:

Firstly, thanks for all your replies. It's good to know that others have dealt with the same issue and understand the frustration.

Our RE said that IUI and IVF wasn't an option for us at this point because we'd be conceiving every 6-7 cycles.

But our OB said that IUI is an option through their clinic since we're doing Follistim. She didn't think it would increase our chances. But I think we'll try that in another cycle or two.

I've thought for a while that perhaps IUI would take the pressure off and let him relax, but I'm nervous about him giving an IUI sample because for him, his SA was "the worst experience of his life."

Question about IUI -  Isn't there still pressure to perform, but in a different manner? And isn't the window of performance even smaller? I mean, if we have an appt for an IUI, he's got like 1/2 hour to get it done, doesn't he? Unless we bring it from home, and then there's a timing issue as well. Am I missing something?

The way my husband explained it to me is that the SA/sample for an IUI is essentially masturbation for a purpose. He's worried about getting it done, sure, but he's able to just focus on himself. Of course he still needs to be in a safe and comfortable place. When we have TI he's worried about pleasing me, being in a good position, AND getting it done. So it adds a ton more worries. Plus if I'm not into it things are just that much more difficult.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • imageMissa_g:
    imageBzeetyD:

Firstly, thanks for all your replies. It's good to know that others have dealt with the same issue and understand the frustration.

The way my husband explained it to me is that the SA/sample for an IUI is essentially masturbation for a purpose. He's worried about getting it done, sure, but he's able to just focus on himself. Of course he still needs to be in a safe and comfortable place. When we have TI he's worried about pleasing me, being in a good position, AND getting it done. So it adds a ton more worries. Plus if I'm not into it things are just that much more difficult.

Thanks this is really helpful and I can see where your H is coming from.

TTC #1 since 1/10

Our lil' lost sparks:

Moving on to IVF.

Everybody is welcome!!!
  • imagecinciem:

The way H described it to me was that he has had a lot of practice on-demand when it was a one person show and it's pretty easy to tap into that and get it done.

I don't think he loves collecting @ the clinic, but we have done both depending on schedules. I think he kind of secretly likes feeling that he is "doing his part" in these treatments.

Thanks so much for your response. I know DH also wants to "do his part" in this and he's also said something similar to "well I've had a lot of years to practice" concerning giving a sample. 

It's hard. I don't want it to be more difficult than it needs to be and yet, look where we are. 

Thanks again.

TTC #1 since 1/10

Our lil' lost sparks:

Moving on to IVF.

Everybody is welcome!!!
  • You aren't alone in this situation and it feels good to know that I am not alone either ladies.

When my husband and I first started out with the TI, he was so very excited. It was so fun, but quickly turned into more of a chore. I also did not do a good job of handling the performance issue. This is the reason we decided this month to start our first Clomid and IUI cycle, to decrease some of the pressure on the both of us.

We must also remember that while we have this board for support of women who are experiencing the same feelings, thoughts and ideas as we are, our husbands likely don't have that outside support. Not many guys are going to talk with their friends about performance issues. 

Again I am glad that I have this board as it lets me know that I am not alone, but it also reminds me to be thankful for the great guy I have here at home and to realize that he needs my support during this time as well. Thanks ladies!

Married 11 years. PCOS; TTC since 2009; 3 unsuccessful IUIs;
    New RE. First & Hopefully Last IVF November 2013.
  • Yep, when DH knows it's while I am "O"ing, he has a hard time staying, well, hard. I don;t tell him anymore. But we have been doing IUIs and while it;s stress on him to have to ejaculate into a cup, I think because he is alone he is able to get it done.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    TTC since March/April 2010
    DX: MFI - less than 1 million sperm, 26% motility
    DH put on anastrozole to increase counts
    June/July 2011 100 mg Clomid + TS IUI#1 & IUI 2 - BFN :-(
    Forced break due to DH getting spinal surgery in August 2011
    IVF - January 2012: BFN
    FET in April 2012 - BFP at 6dp5dt! Beta #1 at 9dp5dt: 82.5, Beta #2 at 12dp5dt: 352 Beta #3 at 19dp5dt: 6000, saw heartbeat and one little bean at 5W6D!
    After nearly 3 years of waiting our LO was born December 18th 2012!
  • imageeponine7682:
    Yep, when DH knows it's while I am "O"ing, he has a hard time staying, well, hard. I don;t tell him anymore. But we have been doing IUIs and while it;s stress on him to have to ejaculate into a cup, I think because he is alone he is able to get it done.

Thanks for sharing this. I appreciate your frankness and I'm glad you have a solution that works.

We'll definitely start talking about IUI if this cycle doesn't work out.

TTC #1 since 1/10

Our lil' lost sparks:

Moving on to IVF.

Everybody is welcome!!!
  • This cycle was the toughest yet for us.  I had a lap last month, and things have taken awhile to get back to normal down there, so there hasn't been much action anyway--plus, I think he was a little afraid of hurting me for awhile post-surgery.  Then, we started our first Clomid/IUI cycle, so that added some pressure.  Now the IUI is done, and I'm hoping we can get back to something sort of normal--like having sex just for fun!! 

It's so hard, and it makes me so nervous for next cycle, if this one doesn't work, and it makes me nervous about how much worse it could get, the longer we are on this journey.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DH never has had performance issues (except when he drinks alot, but that's like three times since we've been together).  But he was really worried about his S/A with the cup.  But after that, for repeat S/As and IUI's I asked him the first two times if he'd "Like a hand" with it.  He winked and me, gave me a smile and said "Baby, I've been doing this a lot longer than you have!" and off he went.  LOL.  When he's giving a "one man show" it literally can be done in three minutes. Indifferent So even if he's at the RE's office and has an hour to do, he's in and out so to speak.

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"