Toddlers: 24 Months+

DS won't wear Halloween costume... tips?

Hi - I just got my DS's halloween costume. He's almost two. We got him a bear since he's been really into animals and wanted something he could recognize and be warm in (we live in the NE) on halloween night. I tried to get him to try it on a couple of times this week with no luck and I don't really want to push it. He loves Buzz Lightyear too so I thought about getting him that kind of costume instead but didn't know if I would run into the same problem. Any tips or suggestions? I wonder if I should just go get a halloween shirt just in case... thanks!

Re: DS won't wear Halloween costume... tips?

• I ran into this last year with my daughter.  You still have lots of time so don't worry!  I ended up getting a Carter's Monkey costume because it was just pants and a jacket.  It didn't seem like a costume to her so I'm not sure if that is what helped but she did end up wearing it!!!  Good luck! 
  • Wait til he is in a good mood and then make it a game and a surprise.  I would wrap it up - DS likes and is more interested in presents - and let him open it, if you can put it in the mail box for him even better.  Make a big deal and then probably play a game - my ds like to run are and be chased.  I would have the person being the bear wear the costume - or parts if you are the bear and chase each other around the house.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I am having the same problem! DD keeps saying she wants to be Minnie Mouse, but is having a meltdown every time I try and put the costume on her. I may have to get a backup costume. So annoying!
  • My son was like this his 2nd Halloween.  I got him a cute little Jester costume...it was almost like jammies so it was really comfy for him but still lookes costumey.  Maybe you could get the cute skeleton pjs from Gymboree or something like that? 
  • DS#1 REFUSED a costume last year. I bought one - that he had picked out - and ended up returning it the day before Halloween. It wasn't worth the fight. I wish I would have asked on here last year, because I could have done the PJ's or something else. I will say, this year, I think the battle will be getting it off of him come November 1st!! 
  • I have seen some really cute Buzz Lightyear p.j.'s..but I'm blanking on where, sorry. I think you should just try to find a costume that is like regular clothes. I saw a cute mail man costume in a magazine that basically consisted of blue slacks a button up shirt and some stuffed dogs adhered to the pant leg. A cow boy would be really easy as well. Parents.com has some no sew ideas that could work.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I like the pajama idea... thanks for the tips!!
  • The only "costume" DS wore last year was just regular clothes. I gave him a bandana and a toy wrench, and he was a mechanic. Sometimes, kids just don't want to wear that stuff. Good idea about the pajamas.

• Yep, I was going to suggest the PJ idea too.  There are a lot of really cute PJs out there that are long-sleeved with things like police officers, fire fighters and such faux outfits screened on, in addition to buzz lightyear and so on.  You could always do bob the builder -- checkered shirt, overalls and a tool belt he can play with with a hard hat.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Do you have a dog? LOL When DD was 16 months old she would NOT put on her costume. Finally one day I put some costumes on our dogs (we had a devil costume for one and an angel costume for the other). She then happily put hers on that day and again on Halloween. Or do you have a costume you could put on with him?
  • Last year was hard enough to get him to put the costum on so this year he is a cowboy since he loved his cowboyboots and it will be easy to get him to wear it.
    Me DOR amh .64 ng/mL  
    DH Brain Cancer
    BFP #1 12/11/08 DS born 8/23/09
    BFP#2 10/13/11 DC 11/4/11
    BFP#3 12/6/13 Lost 12/29/13
    Told IVF is the only option and have not found a clinic that will take me.

• DS is currently "scared" of dressed up characters so I figured putting an animal outfit on him this year was a bad idea.  Instead, he LOVES firemen and has a fireman's hat that he wears around constantly.

So, I bought a Fireman rain coat and fireman rain boots to go with the hat...and he's wearing that as a costume.  He's super excited, he has already put it on 3 times.  Plus, it's a rain coat/boots that he can wear outside of Halloween...so win-win.

If anyone's interested, I got the rain boots at Target for $16.  The fireman rain coat I found at a consignment sale but I'm sure you could get a slicker for a decent price.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"