November 2011 Moms
Options

Another Laundry Question!

I am a FTM and unsure how to wash the clothes.  I already got the detergent, but I was wondering if I needed to separate into colors or what not? If I washed them together (minus white clothes of course) would the colors run? I need to was the bed set, curtains and a few of the clothes we've already gotten so I can start getting our LO's nursery ready. 
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Another Laundry Question!

• Options
    I don't separate anything for baby. It's all washed together--whites and colors. I wash on warm, rinse on cold and have never had an issue of colors bleeding and what not.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I separated out only the red ones and washed those first in with my darks to be sure the red didn't bleed.  Then I rewashed in the baby detergent just in case.  I don't know if it really made a difference, but baby girl has enough pink clothes already so I wasn't chancing it :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I was really nervous at first and separated everything out according to colors, softness, etc. After 2 loads (I had about 8 lined up), I gave up and dumped everything in together and washed on cold, delicate cycle and then dried on low heat. It was all fine.

FTR, I'm going to continue to separate the really nice items we got, like smocked and embroidered pima cotton items. But I'm just neurotic that way.

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    I use the same detergent for the whole family (Tide Free & Clear), so I sort the baby's clothes like I do everyone else's and they get washed together.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I use Dreft detergent....separated the lights from dark's and then from there separated based on whether the tag said to be washed in cold or warm. then always dry everything on low heat. I also decided to wash the bedding set by itself together, along with the curtains/accessories that matched. washed receiving blankets/swaddling and burp cloths together in one separate load from the clothes.
  • Options
    I've always bought cold-water detergent and washed everything on cold and don't have problems with bleeding that way. For the baby's things I bought a free-and-clear but washed it all on cold anyway, and it seems to have survived fine. We'll see once he gets here whether that does well enough for getting the stains out =)
    Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • Options

Good question! I was wondring too. I think I'm going to just do lights and darks and wash the reds separate. Nearly every outfit has white on it, so I don't want to risk having pink tinged boy outfits! Ha!

I'll also probably wash all the blankets together and all the towels together.

It's a Boy!! Baby #1 - Born 11/2/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I washed everything together even the white stuff and didn't have any issues but I didn't have a lot of super dark colors.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I always separate lights from darks for the first time I wash anything, just in case. After I know a garment is color fast, I throw everything together. Most baby/kids clothing I have encountered so far would have been fine mixed together for the first wash (with the exception of a few bright red things).  All of it has been fine mixed together by the second wash.

I never mix baby clothes and adult clothes even though I use the same soap for everything.  I add fabric softener to the adult stuff, which you aren't supposed to do for baby stuff.  Since there is such a size difference between adult clothes and baby clothes, there is also a substantial drying time difference and I don't want to cook my baby clothing.  It's not good for the fabric.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"