Breastfeeding

Poly Vi Sol?

Anyone use this?

Pedi recommended that we start using it... is this standard for all breastfeeding mothers? If you use it, have you noticed any differences in LO? I was just curious if the iron would create poop issues... 

Any experiences are helpful!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Poly Vi Sol?

• Pedi said we should give D Vi Sol at the last appointment, which is just vitamin D.I gave her some last night for the first time.

https://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/recommendations/vitamin_d.htm

DS 7/6/09
    DD 9/4/11
    EDD 9/1/15
  • We gave DS Poly Vi Sol and we never had any problems with constipation.  We switched to the one without iron when he started cereal at 6 months.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    My BFP Chart

• Loading the player...
  • I thought this came with or without iron.  We use without iron.  I haven't noticed any differences, but we use it for the vitamin d.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I give polyvisol with iron b/c she has preemie-related anemia.

No issues, but it does make her poop stink.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• DD was on it. Its stinky and nasty and it stains.  I gave it to her in the bath so it wouldn't stain anymore clothes.  Pedi said DS doesn't need it,just to get him 15 minutes of sunlight a day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • They just recommended Vit D for us. Most people in the US are Vitamin D deprived, but the rest of the stuff in PolyViSol isn't really necessary for most breastfed babies. I use the Carlson's drops, since it's just one drop, tasteless and colorless.
  • I also use Carlson D Drops and like them. Breastfed babies only need the vitamin D (unless they're actually anemic or have a health condition like that). Sunlight doesn't work when you live as far north as I do. Wink
  • imagevanfox:
    They just recommended Vit D for us. Most people in the US are Vitamin D deprived, but the rest of the stuff in PolyViSol isn't really necessary for most breastfed babies. I use the Carlson's drops, since it's just one drop, tasteless and colorless.

This!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• DS has had TriViSol every day of his life. THey gave him the one iwth iron in the NICU because he and I were both anemic, him from a blood type incompatibility and me from blood loss during and after delivery. It had not resolved by his 1 month checkup so he had to stay on it. I hate the one with iron because it upset his stomach. His poop was always dark green and mucousy, and he spit up a lot. We had to mix it in with a whole bottle or he'd just straight up puke. 

At his 2m appt last week, his anemia was tested and had resolved, so his pedi said we can give him just the regular TriViSol, but he'd need the iron again at 4 months, so not to get rid of it. We started him on the regular on Thursday, and he didn't poop Friday-Sun and then had a blowout at daycare Mon morning. Since then his poop has been light brown peanut butter. Total change. Its weird. And he doesn't spit up as much.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Most BFed babies do not need iron supplements until *at least* 6 months. There are some exceptions, of course, but most do not.

I give DS the Carlson's Vit D drops. 

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"